Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By 2050, the following will exist and be commonplace
Self Driving cars 67 74.44%
Flying cars 17 18.89%
C3PO type Robots 21 23.33%
Smoking hot Terminator 3 type robots (non killing type) 10 11.11%
AI 42 46.67%
a Matrix 13 14.44%
anti aging formula 31 34.44%
nano molecular manufacturers 51 56.67%
nuclear fusion 41 45.56%
FTL Space travel 16 17.78%
Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space! 45 50.00%
Laser guns 36 40.00%
lightsabers 5 5.56%
cool robotic arms/legs/etc 58 64.44%
cure for all diseases 11 12.22%
wormhole teleporters 4 4.44%
X-ray glasses!!! 9 10.00%
Sgtar trek "food pills" that meet all your daily requirements. 24 26.67%
a flying car you can fold into a briefcase 5 5.56%
a suit of Iron Man Armor. woot woot! 9 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Here's what I think we'll get by 2050:

self-driving cars

smoking-fast personal computers with tens of thousands of cores and terrabytes of storage.

at least 1 manned mission to mars

instant battery charging

video games that are practically indistinguishable from real life

the ability to grow and replace almost any part of the human body

I don't think robots will take off; while we may be able to build very close copy of a human, they will never be cheaper and more practical than a real human, usually in the form of a minimum wage immigrant.

I also suspect the world will be even more divided between the minority of "haves" (who will have easy access to all sorts of incredible technological advances) and the much larger group of "have-nots", who will have to scrape by in depressingly poor conditions.

Last edited by Chango; 08-23-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Here's what I think we'll get by 2050:

self-driving cars

smoking-fast personal computers with tens of thousands of cores and terrabytes of storage.

at least 1 manned mission to mars

instant battery charging

video games that are practically indistinguishable from real life

the ability to grow and replace almost any part of the human body

I don't think robots will take off; while we may be able to build very close copy of a human, they will never be cheaper and more practical than a real human, usually in the form of a minimum wage immigrant.

I also suspect the world will be even more divided between the minority of "haves" (who will have easy access to all sorts of incredible technological advances) and the much larger group of "have-nots", who will have to scrape by in depressingly poor conditions.
But once you can build one that can build a clone, wont that make them essentially free?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Wow, a poll that was opened May 2008 is still open, must be a C-D record...

Looking at the choices I would say none of the above....

Someone, somewhere on any of the choices will file a lawsuit claiming their copyright was illegally used..

Look at Apple and how they are stifling the marketplace with all their lawsuits.......

Just for grins,

Anti-aging formula, doesn't that mean botox injections and plastic surgery?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Information technology increases at a exponential rate so there will be a billion fold increase in computing technology in the next 20 years let alone 40. Well before 2050 most of those things will not only be possible but inexpensive enough for most people to use.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Anti-aging formula, doesn't that mean botox injections and plastic surgery?
Anti-aging is more then just cosmetic. They found the aging gene and in mice were able to turn it off. When they did the mice ate all they want and stayed thin, did not get diabetes or heart disease and lived 20% longer. As of now 4 pharmaceutical companies are racing to make it work for humans.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
But once you can build one that can build a clone, wont that make them essentially free?
Only if they are made from renewable resources like carbon-based life.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Information technology increases at a exponential rate so there will be a billion fold increase in computing technology in the next 20 years let alone 40. Well before 2050 most of those things will not only be possible but inexpensive enough for most people to use.
In 1980 I worked for a bank who didn't have the computing power my *Phone* has now. The whole idea of a smart phone would have been laughable to most people, who were easily impressed you knew a few buzzwords, and they didn't have a clue what any of them mean. Much of what we have commonly today would be star trek. It's interesting that in the later star trek movies, they used pc's at each 'work station' for the actors to generate the effects live since it was easier and cheaper than using FX.

I think by 2050 we won't even have imagined most of the 'new' technology out there.

BUT. Out there for some. I agree with an earlier post that there will be a socieity of two classes. The have will have everything. The have nots will have the leftovers that are too old and nobody wants anymore. But I think that especially computer and information technology will have become a normal part of even the lower have-not class.

I realize how much I order online compared to five years ago and like it that way. I don't see that going anything but up.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
AI seems to be getting closer every year...

New IBM computer chip mimics the human brain - CNN.com
Why would we want to even create a super smart AI with consciousness? I know it could help us advance our technology even faster but what makes us think we could control something that has the possibility of being far more intelligent? Also, won't this create moral and ethical issues? If these machines have true consciousness is it fair to have them working for us as if they were slaves?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
what things do you see coming to fruition (great word) over the next couple of decades?
I picked:

---Self Driving Cars (Bill Gates spoke of this a few years back)
---C3PO type Robots (those human looking Japanese robots look promising)
---Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space! (There are already companies testing these planes, some are even making plans for Space cruising hotel ships)
---Laser guns (I'm surprised we don't have this yet considering powerful lasers are used to burn people's skin during cosmetic procedures to remove wrinkles and sun spots)
---cool robotic arms/legs/etc (we'll probably have this in 10 years since the prototypes already exist and have been tested with a few people)
---AI (I don't agree with this, but I know that won't stop scientists from creating it)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Why would we want to even create a super smart AI with consciousness? I know it could help us advance our technology even faster but what makes us think we could control something that has the possibility of being far more intelligent? Also, won't this create moral and ethical issues? If these machines have true consciousness is it fair to have them working for us as if they were slaves?
This is one of those things I think will happen whether we want it to or not. We will hope we can control it, or that it will at least think of us as friendly.

Some believe, myself included, that by the time true AI arrives, we will already be part borg. So hopefully it will see us as cousins/equals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I picked:

---Self Driving Cars (Bill Gates spoke of this a few years back)
---C3PO type Robots (those human looking Japanese robots look promising)
---Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space! (There are already companies testing these planes, some are even making plans for Space cruising hotel ships)
---Laser guns (I'm surprised we don't have this yet considering powerful lasers are used to burn people's skin during cosmetic procedures to remove wrinkles and sun spots)
---cool robotic arms/legs/etc (we'll probably have this in 10 years since the prototypes already exist and have been tested with a few people)
---AI (I don't agree with this, but I know that won't stop scientists from creating it)
Check out the Google car. And the navy is working on laser guns now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology