Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 04:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

When did indoor air become cold and clean?

Air conditioning is one of those inventions that have become so ubiquitous that many in the developed world don’t even realize that less than a century ago, it didn’t exist. Indeed, it wasn’t so long ago that the air inside our buildings and the air outside of them were one and the same, with occupants powerless against their environment.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...133029574.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 06:45 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
As an allergy sufferer, I have joked that I have a statue of Saint Willis Carrier on the dashboard of my car. Air conditioning has made a huge improvement in the quality of my life. Four words to anyone who wants to take away my air conditioning: "My cold, dead fingers."

I have not read Eric Dean Wilson's book, but the Amazon comments call into question the scientific accuracy of important details within the book. There is no listing of the Table of Contents to give further information about the book. Another book by an author who doesn't like air conditioning is Losing Our Cool: by Stan Cox. I have not read this book either.

Many of the references I have been reading about how ancient civilizations designed buildings to stay cool only apply to arid climates with low humidity and large temperature swings between night and day. These ideas are of little use to those of us living in humid climates. Here's an article about evaporative coolers and mold:
https://hvac-boss.com/faq/do-evapora...rs-cause-mold/

Note that the map indicates that evaporative coolers are only ideal west of 103 degrees latitude, and even then not all areas qualify. My thought on winter humidifiers is that they should not be considered east of 100 degrees latitude.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
When did indoor air become cold and clean?

Air conditioning is one of those inventions that have become so ubiquitous that many in the developed world don’t even realize that less than a century ago, it didn’t exist. Indeed, it wasn’t so long ago that the air inside our buildings and the air outside of them were one and the same, with occupants powerless against their environment.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...133029574.html
In reality, the air and temperature inside a building is never the same as outside. With the right construction a house can be cooler during the summer and warmer during the winter (read how the Romans cooled and heated their homes). The air inside our modern homes quite often contains traces of cleaning chemicals, from window cleaners to disinfectants and every in between. An air exchanger (I am not talking about an AC unit), pulls-in fresh air from outside, and exhausts the stale air in the house. Air conditioners and heaters make our lives quite pleasant at home or at work.

Before electricity and conditioners existed:
https://aristair.com/blog/the-histor...s-stayed-cool/

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-13-2021 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 08:54 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Put in A/C last year.

Never had A/C in any home I've lived in.

It's kinda nice when the breeze off the Pacific is lacking...

Old 09-15-2021, 01:22 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Authors in search of a subject to whine about.

I read one review/article that claimed the answer to the AC problem was heat pumps...

... the utter stupidity of the internet never fails to astound me.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
As an allergy sufferer, I have joked that I have a statue of Saint Willis Carrier on the dashboard of my car. Air conditioning has made a huge improvement in the quality of my life. Four words to anyone who wants to take away my air conditioning: "My cold, dead fingers."

I have not read Eric Dean Wilson's book, but the Amazon comments call into question the scientific accuracy of important details within the book. There is no listing of the Table of Contents to give further information about the book. Another book by an author who doesn't like air conditioning is Losing Our Cool: by Stan Cox. I have not read this book either.

Many of the references I have been reading about how ancient civilizations designed buildings to stay cool only apply to arid climates with low humidity and large temperature swings between night and day. These ideas are of little use to those of us living in humid climates. Here's an article about evaporative coolers and mold:
https://hvac-boss.com/faq/do-evapora...rs-cause-mold/

Note that the map indicates that evaporative coolers are only ideal west of 103 degrees latitude, and even then not all areas qualify. My thought on winter humidifiers is that they should not be considered east of 100 degrees latitude.
I recommend the following link to the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources:
The Climatic Adaptation of French Colonial Architecture into the Louisiana Raised Cottage

It is about how French colonial architecture evolved from rural French architecture for dealing with the hot humid climate of Louisiana.

There is another book "Vanishing French Heritage: A Complete Study of the Vertical Log Homes of the Illinois Country" which discusses the challenge the French had to adapting their homes to hot, humid summers and cold winters. I could not find a link to a free version, sorry.

However, any culture on this planet that evolved in hot, humid environs developed strategies to beat the heat and should be fairly accessible on-line.

Old architecture, but full of ideas. Not for alleviating allergies, but temperature regulation for sure.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Even in our mild climate I would be miserable in summer without AC, and when we had the rare heat dome that got it up to 114F in June it could have been a disaster. We have two window units, which use little power ($40/year+-) and keep our family room/kitchen where we spend most time, and our bedroom cool in summer. It's inefficient to have a whole-house central AC because you are paying and using energy to cool rooms that no one is in. If you have several kids that are home all day, it's still better to give them small window units. Cooling our house with central AC (3,000 sf, 5 BR) would cost about $168/month to run, while most rooms are sitting empty. Our bedroom unit has a time and turns on a couple of hours before we go to bed, and off again just before we get up. Our triple-pane windows do keep it cooler inside but heat rises, so our upstairs gets too hot to sleep comfortably. Life is too short to be forced to try and sleep when it's hot.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:52 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Here's a National Geographic video about a building design inspired by termites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620omdSZzBs It's located in Zimbabwe. Once again, an arid climate with low humidity and wide diurnal temperature changes.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
When I visited Yazd, Iran, I was fascinated by how the construction of the city kept everything relatively cool in 100-degree heat.

"Yazd is home to a system of ancient engineering marvels that include an underground refrigeration structure called yakhchāl..."

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...y-to-keep-cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology