Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 12:22 PM

550 posts, read 366,082 times

Advertisements

Have an elderly relative with with a Verizon FIOS landline who gets several annoying spam calls a day. It is a fall risk for her getting to the phone for all of these unnecessary calls as house is 50-60 feet long and only has two phones in different rooms of the house where the outlets are, and some of the messages left can be more threatening for the elderly. She has caller ID, which also appears on the TV screen, but only when she has the TV turned on. Tried Nomorobo, but it blocked automated appointment reminders from some of her doctors and automated calls from the pharmacy. Being on the Do Not Call list does not work, because many of these calls come from overseas per news reports. She rarely answers these calls, unless it is the day a home repair person is showing up. Per one of those reports, Verizon said it is now very difficult to block international calls. WHY? I know it has something to do with IP addresses, but unsure totally what. I know back in the 1990s when had trouble with international calls coming through at another address locally and got charged over $20 for one, the company that later got absorbed by Verizon, quickly blocked international calls for me. My rough guess today is technology has changed is if they block IP addresses of international calls coming through, it blocks both incoming and outgoing, which imagine be a problem reaching overseas call centers for USA companies that use them, but that actually not such a bad thing as good sign to avoid some of these companies dealing with poor English of some overseas call center reps. But my relative has a cell phone that maybe gets only one or two spam calls a call, if that, which she could use for those calls if had to, but has no voicemail on it. She is not techie and prefers the simple standalone answering machine on the home phone line, so getting rid of her landline is not the answer. (As an aside, getting slightly political, I doubt the Biden administration, his views on immigration, will do much to push the FCC on this issue).

A family friend in another state was really slammed by spam calls every 10 minutes for 12 hours a day and the FBI get involved, and problem solved in three days. Is that what it takes? I am hoping someone more technically expert will chime in.

Last edited by sprklcl; 11-19-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 10:28 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Do not call lists really only works for "legitimate" companies. And there are so many loopholes around that, it's not as effective as most think.

At the end of the day - your best bet is to whitelist known callers. Then just have all others go straight to voicemail or blocked. Your service is likely VoIP and should have a good amount of feature you can use to help reduce unwanted calls. This isn't foolproof and it may take time to build that list. And you'll also need to manage it.

And no - IP blocking isn't really applicable here as you're talking the application layer, not networking layer. Who's IP are you blocking? These calls are being routed to you from SIP providers... so you'd be blocking entire services as opposed to specific callers.

At the end of the day - the spammers use techniques that make it very hard to just filter them out completely. Features like caller-ID are easily defeated. Blocking callers don't always work as callers can always just spoof any number. Looking at just the US, ten digit numbers yields 10 billion possible phone numbers.

If falling is an issue (since this doesn't go away with legitimate callers) - maybe get a cordless phone?

Look at what the service provides and determine how to utilize them to best serve you. I no longer have VoIP (just my cell service). But I've always only had people in my contacts ring through. This requires me to add people to my contacts and first time callers will always go to VM. But that worked for me....

Again - you do have to manage it. But this is the world we live in.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:54 PM

550 posts, read 366,082 times
Problem with Verizon landline you can only whitelist 20 callers which most people have more contacts than that.

Cordless phone? Person on walker carry phone in shoulder bag around house all day.

Voicenail? Too,complicated tech for some seniors. One button answering machine easier.

If not have person up in years in your life, read article in link below challenges and frustrations they face with tech. Not just with ride services, but also technology in general.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ulation-000531

Quoted from link 'It's not always easy, though, and their struggles are a window into the challenges of delivering tech-based solutions to a population that grew up in a very different world.'

Old 11-24-2021, 06:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 733,898 times
A real VOIP phone system, and not a proprietary turn-key system, can allow a choice of inbound international calls. Well, it's more like pay a monthly fee for each country desired.

My SIP phones plug into a router with an ethernet plug. They have to be configured for the VOIP service provider but that just involves going to the phone's IP website address and configuring according to the system instructions. Outbound calls are $0.00 per minute and inbound calls from USA and Canada are $0.015 per minute. Monthly fee is less than $4.00 which includes the phone number lease and the 911 service.

Also, the router is configured by going to the router's IP website address. A proprietary turn-key system, on the other hand, gives the consumer a router that takes a standard phone plug and no configurations are required. And then that system costs $25 a month or so.

Last edited by T Block; 11-24-2021 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology