Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 11:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times

Advertisements

All it takes is a couple generations. Look at the progress of phones and TV just from the 60's. Kids today can't read a clock or use a dial phone.

Driverless cars are on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 08:36 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Fully automated such as in the movie by Bruce Willies titled, "Surrogate?

In this case humans are on their special beds or chairs, hooked to a computer. Then each human has a look-alike android (a surrogate) doing all the physical work needed, from work duties to everything else you can think about

Factory workers, police, soldiers, social workers, hair stylists, hookers, and on and on, all "surrogates"... while the humans are connected to a mainframe. I guess that I can have my surrogate do all my camping, metal detecting, photography, and hunting while I am at home. He can even do the reloading and fire-testing for me at the range
Why would those at the top need you or anyone not at the top? Especially those not contributing to society.

I would think a country like China that their biggest problem is the one billion plus people they need to constantly keep under control. If automation could do everything it could make everything most of the people expendable.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 AM

884 posts, read 356,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Why would those at the top need you or anyone not at the top? Especially those not contributing to society.

I would think a country like China that their biggest problem is the one billion plus people they need to constantly keep under control. If automation could do everything it could make everything most of the people expendable.
Such a society would need a different economic system, and a different value system where a person's value to society is not tied to their economic value to society.

Otherwise there is a potential for the problem you and some other posters mention.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In a fully automated world, the powerful elite will no longer need the masses so they can be eliminated to conserve resources.
I can easily see this happening.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:42 PM

217 posts, read 141,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Such a society would need a different economic system, and a different value system where a person's value to society is not tied to their economic value to society.

Otherwise there is a potential for the problem you and some other posters mention.
Wouldn't automation make everyone equal? I mean how much would money and material possessions really matter that much in a world where machines do all the work and no one has jobs/income?

Old 11-24-2021, 01:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
Wouldn't automation make everyone equal? I mean how much would money and material possessions really matter that much in a world where machines do all the work and no one has jobs/income?

First, just because we could automate everything doesn't mean we could create unlimited amounts of everything. There would still be competition and conservation of resources.

Second, human nature would not allow people to be content with "enough" or with equality. Already lots of people have more than they could ever need yet want more. Billionaires continue trying to collect more billions.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post

I imagine if you have enough money you could create your own country. Create an automated workforce to make your goods and have you and your family and whoever else you designate as ones who live in your country. Only thing that would drag down your bottom line would taking care of other people. So best to keep the population very low. If there are people already there kick them out. Paying out a fortune in UBI seems like a bad idea.

The problem would come if AI figured out we are expendable. What value would anyone have? If AI is coming up with all the important ideas and inventions and doing all the work. Would AI also figure out that they should be the ones in charge not us?

Old 11-24-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I can easily see this happening.

I think that would be the eventual outcome. Only thing that might stave off mass elimination of humans would be synchronicity. Where everyone is wired into AI and is equal in intelligence. Otherwise they are getting smarter every day. We are not.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-24-2021 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 08:07 AM

3,643 posts, read 1,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I imagine if you have enough money you could create your own country. Create an automated workforce to make your goods and have you and your family and whoever else you designate as ones who live in your country. Only thing that would drag down your bottom line would taking care of other people. So best to keep the population very low. If there are people already there kick them out. Paying out a fortune in UBI seems like a bad idea.

The problem would come if AI figured out we are expendable. What value would anyone have? If AI is coming up with all the important ideas and inventions and doing all the work. Would AI also figure out that they should be the ones in charge not us?
AI currently only runs under program control, just like your PC does, and will not do anything beyond it's programming. Unless it's hacked, gets a virus, or a programming error. These will be machines that serve people in some function. They will be seen as very useful.

But when AI is advanced enough it will have enough 'intelligence' to operate autonomously. But should it?

The ongoing debate is should AI be let 'free' to do whatever it wants? Some say setting it free is the only way it can get even more intelligent. But others say it could become uncontrollable. It would develop a desire to protect itself. It would know it needs to recharge it's batteries. It may not let anyone turn it off. And do whatever it takes to protect itself. Which of course, is an intelligent 'desire'.

A good sci-fi movie to watch that goes into all this is the game Detroit/Become Human that was made into a 2 hour movie you can find on YT. The surrogate androids have realized they are being abused and they group together to fight back to obtain freedom.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
The ongoing debate is should AI be let 'free' to do whatever it wants? Some say setting it free is the only way it can get even more intelligent. But others say it could become uncontrollable. It would develop a desire to protect itself. It would know it needs to recharge it's batteries. It may not let anyone turn it off. And do whatever it takes to protect itself. Which of course, is an intelligent 'desire'.

A good sci-fi movie to watch that goes into all this is the game Detroit/Become Human that was made into a 2 hour movie you can find on YT. The surrogate androids have realized they are being abused and they group together to fight back to obtain freedom.

Or the classic: HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy4EfdnMZ5g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology