Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 12:51 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But even saying it's "delivered via the Internet" can be a bit confusing because many if not most people watch streaming video on their TVs, not the Internet, at least some of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
For the most part, it means delivered via internet. TV's connect to the internet to stream just like every other device. Heck, even some refrigerators can stream.
In this case, the TV itself is simply a screen/speaker to display the streaming media. What matters is that the TV is hooked up to the internet. That it is a “TV” (has a tuner for over-the-air broadcast) means nothing.

Many TVs - marketed as “smart TVs - have built-in capability to connect via WiFi or ethernet cable and come preloaded with streaming apps (one for Netflix, one for HBO Max, one for Amazon Prime, etc., and likely has the ability to download more streaming apps for other media providers.

Many TVs - including smart TVs - have HDMI ports imto which you can plug something like a Roku stick, which is a streaming receiver that has streaming apps loaded (and may be added) for meida providers such as Netflix, HBO Max, etc.

Some devices are also able to connect via WiFi or ethernet cable to the internet and have streaming apps. We have an old DVD/Blue Ray player like this, so we had it hooked up to a “dumb TV” (one with no internet connection at all) to watch DVDs and Blue Ray discs but can also watch streaming media (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.).

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 04-02-2022 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 02:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
But even saying it's "delivered via the Internet" can be a bit confusing because many if not most people watch streaming video on their TVs, not the Internet, at least some of the time.

What IS key is that the customer has to HAVE good, strong, fast Internet service in order to be ABLE to stream said video, whether they want to watch the content on their TV or a computer (or a phone, for that matter, although I can't imagine trying to watch a movie on my phone!). Said Internet service should be unlimited if the customer wants to stream a lot (I do a TON of streaming every single day, even if it's just for background news/noise as I do "real" work on another computer, and would pay a fortune if my supplier didn't have unlimited data).

OP, I think you have said you DON'T have the kind of Internet that would even ALLOW you to stream, right?
That is correct but let me state that in this thread.......

........I am here to learn, not counter, not argue.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:48 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is correct but let me state that in this thread.......

........I am here to learn, not counter, not argue.
Um, OK. I don't think I was arguing with anyone ... I was just pointing out that for a lot of people, maybe especially older people, "Internet" means computers (or tablets, if they have one of those). If I told my mom (and some other older people) that something was "delivered via the Internet," they would think that meant delivered to their computers, like their email. They might think it meant they could only watch their TV show there. If they have a Roku (which someone undoubtedly set up for them), they might know that they use that to watch TV, but they wouldn't necessarily "connect" it in their minds to the Internet. Does that make more sense?

Not saying the OP is as old as my mom was (she died at not quite 86) ... in fact I think she is younger than I am!

Old 04-02-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Um, OK. I don't think I was arguing with anyone ... I was just pointing out that for a lot of people, maybe especially older people, "Internet" means computers (or tablets, if they have one of those). If I told my mom (and some other older people) that something was "delivered via the Internet," they would think that meant delivered to their computers, like their email. They might think it meant they could only watch their TV show there. If they have a Roku (which someone undoubtedly set up for them), they might know that they use that to watch TV, but they wouldn't necessarily "connect" it in their minds to the Internet. Does that make more sense?

Not saying the OP is as old as my mom was (she died at not quite 86) ... in fact I think she is younger than I am!
Roku? That little vacuum device on the floor?

I am afraid that what has made more sense .......................... is that I really don't know this world.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:15 PM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
Quote:
I was just pointing out that for a lot of people, maybe especially older people, "Internet" means computers (or tablets, if they have one of those). If I told my mom (and some other older people) that something was "delivered via the Internet," they would think that meant delivered to their computers, like their email. They might think it meant they could only watch their TV show there. If they have a Roku (which someone undoubtedly set up for them), they might know that they use that to watch TV, but they wouldn't necessarily "connect" it in their minds to the Internet. Does that make more sense?
The definitions, especially technology, get lost out in the real world.

If people look at it from the perspective that all these devices you mention include some form of a computer, then it makes more sense that they all connect to the internet and stream. For example, my VOIP phone, home automation hub, garage door opener, security system, A/V receiver, printer, picture frame, thermostat, doorbell, smart speakers, etc. are all devices with a type of built-in computer that connect to the internet.

Last edited by akrausz; 04-02-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-02-2022, 06:06 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
You don't need wifi, right?
Or do you?

Thank you TamaraSavannah for asking this question, I was a little unsure too.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:59 PM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
You don't need wifi, right?
Or do you?
You need to connect to your internet equipment, which could be via wifi or a cable, or your smartphone can connect to a cell tower.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:59 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
You need to connect to your internet equipment, which could be via wifi or a cable, or your smartphone can connect to a cell tower.

Thank you!
I do have wifi...

Got rid of Directv thru cable.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Roku? That little vacuum device on the floor?

I am afraid that what has made more sense .......................... is that I really don't know this world.

Haha, the vacuum is a Roomba. A Roku is a small electronics box that sits beside the TV (or built in to some TVs) that takes internet as input, manages applications that provide content, and delivers the output to the TV. So on your TV screen you have a display of all the apps that you installed (the most popular ones come pre-installed) like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS, ABC, Disney, etc. You select the app, let's say Netflix, with your remote and the Roku connects to your Netflix account (remembering your password so you don't have to enter each time) and delivers Netflix content to your screen.

A Fire stick or Chromecast are devices similar to a Roku, just provided by different companies.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Haha, the vacuum is a Roomba. A Roku is a small electronics box that sits beside the TV (or built in to some TVs) that takes internet as input, manages applications that provide content, and delivers the output to the TV. So on your TV screen you have a display of all the apps that you installed (the most popular ones come pre-installed) like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS, ABC, Disney, etc. You select the app, let's say Netflix, with your remote and the Roku connects to your Netflix account (remembering your password so you don't have to enter each time) and delivers Netflix content to your screen.

A Fire stick or Chromecast are devices similar to a Roku, just provided by different companies.
A Fire stick is the Alexis device? I don't know what Chromecast is (or the Fire Stick as well perhaps). Further, I am just saying that I don't do apps, so explanations that include them may need further explanation.

Also, you say remote......can this remote be replaced by a universal as I am one person who is forever losing them.....just asking mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology