Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I wasn't aware of the propane use, or that it was environmentally friendly. I know here in WA, the governor is pushing us to go all electric, because natural gas is "harmful to the environment." (I'm opposed to that, since we often lose electricity, and it's our gas that keeps my water hot, and allows me to cook.) He's never made mention of propane. I know my niece in Corning, NY is on propane for heating and cooking, but I didn't know it was used in refrigeration, too.

Thanks!
I live in WA, too, and natural gas is harmful to the environment AND people. It contains nasty pollutants, is a known elevated risk factor for childhood asthma and other health problems, which is why many people (and restaurants) are replacing their gas ranges with induction ranges which have even better heat control. I would do that myself except it would require an expensive rewiring job. So I just turn the vent fan on when I cook. I have a gas fireplace and I never use it. I might get one of the small tabletop induction cooktops.

https://time.com/6245607/us-consumer...gas-stove-ban/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...nsumer-safety/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 09:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I live in WA, too, and natural gas is harmful to the environment AND people. It contains nasty pollutants, is a known elevated risk factor for childhood asthma and other health problems, which is why many people (and restaurants) are replacing their gas ranges with induction ranges which have even better heat control. I would do that myself except it would require an expensive rewiring job. So I just turn the vent fan on when I cook. I have a gas fireplace and I never use it. I might get one of the small tabletop induction cooktops.

https://time.com/6245607/us-consumer...gas-stove-ban/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...nsumer-safety/
Thank you for the article links, Ukiyo-e, I am not very technical, and DH controls the purse when it comes to buying appliances, but I will have him look at it. Like you, we cannot actually afford to switch to all electric, either, even if we were so inclined.

If you too live in this area, you are well aware of the loss of electric power we've experienced here, SINCE Gov. Inslee assured us we should move to electric heat pumps, because our grid is so stable. In the past few years, having no electricity would've left us helpless and freezing without our gas heat, water heater, stove/oven. Burning wood is more damaging to lungs and atmosphere than cigarette smoke, and much worse than natural gas.

Without our natural gas appliances, we would be forced to run a large generator, rather than the small one we use now to keep our refrigerator working. That requires gasoline, another petroleum based product that burns less cleanly than natural gas. Thankfully, we live in a relatively mild climate, so we don't have the long periods of power outages that others in the country do.

Finally, venting your stove is always a good idea, but realize that the emissions out of your home still effect the atmosphere. As do the wildfires that so destroyed our atmosphere, as do the fireplaces our neighbors burn, as do the cars we drive -- all of which affect our lungs' health. (I know, I suffer with compromised lungs damaged by wildfires in AZ, nearly twenty years ago.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology