Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 05:40 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The author sounds a bit confused. Jets, which include virtually all commercial planes, run on jet fuel, which does not contain lead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel

Virtually all piston planes run on Avgas, typically 100LL, which contains lead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:35 AM

To expand upon this, jet engines do not use spark plugs; they use igniters, along with some sort of motor, to start the engine. Diesel engines don't use spark plugs either. Some diesel engines have glow plugs, to help start the engine, especially when the engine is cold.

Leaded gas is dirty. Even with the lead scavengers they add to the fuel, the lead deposits build up on spark plugs, small passages, sensors, etc. 100LL has as much lead as automotive leaded gasoline from 1973 did.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:21 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
"For the study, the team used publicly available U.S. data on childhood blood-lead levels Trusted Source, leaded gas use, and population statistics to determine the likely lifelong burden of lead exposure that every U.S. adult alive in 2015 now carries. From there, the researchers estimated the impact of lead on intelligence by calculating the reduction in IQ points that exposure to leaded gas likely caused."

Maybe, maybe not. On the surface, this looks like another attempt to fit a correlation into a causation for a pet cause. That it comes from Florida is now another reason to question the veracity.

A main issue is that the study is excessively broad and doesn't take into account other parameters. The smog in some cities during the 1960s was bad. It wasn't just auto exhaust, and auto exhaust back then was more likely to contain carbon monoxide. Low levels of carbon monoxide exposure on a constant basis could be a competing factor. City kids vs. country kids? Kids living rurally should have shown up as outliers to the trends. I don't discount the idea entirely, but I don't see the study as particularly meaningful or insightful.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"For the study, the team used publicly available U.S. data on childhood blood-lead levels Trusted Source, leaded gas use, and population statistics to determine the likely lifelong burden of lead exposure that every U.S. adult alive in 2015 now carries. From there, the researchers estimated the impact of lead on intelligence by calculating the reduction in IQ points that exposure to leaded gas likely caused."

Maybe, maybe not. On the surface, this looks like another attempt to fit a correlation into a causation for a pet cause. That it comes from Florida is now another reason to question the veracity.

A main issue is that the study is excessively broad and doesn't take into account other parameters. The smog in some cities during the 1960s was bad. It wasn't just auto exhaust, and auto exhaust back then was more likely to contain carbon monoxide. Low levels of carbon monoxide exposure on a constant basis could be a competing factor. City kids vs. country kids? Kids living rurally should have shown up as outliers to the trends. I don't discount the idea entirely, but I don't see the study as particularly meaningful or insightful.
Having a parent who smoked in the automobile with the windows shut and the ventilation fan turned off (A surprising number of smokers seemed to prefer this) would expose you to a significant amount of CO.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:36 PM

8,303 posts, read 13,437,323 times
I love it when people think "smart" means "better" like they are unaware of the existence of intelligent con men, politicians, lawyers and serial killers. Smart clearly doesn't mean better or even decent.
Prudent, kind, generous people with integrity make a society better. The people in my aforementioned list always lack those qualities.

Kids at certain ages can be given specific mind games that could noticeably improve not only their intelligence but their memory as well.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:29 PM

7,250 posts, read 3,781,723 times
I probably lost more than 2.6 I.Q. points from all the drinking I did in college.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Quoted for Truth.

Literally impossible to pin IQ loss on any one thing.

Old Today, 03:41 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Nuts. My BS-o-meter just blew itself up.

Without getting Into the actual data about how ambient Pb levels have fallen to essentially zero since Pb was removed from fuel & paiint by 1975 and that the toxic blood levels of Pb are thoroughly unknown (fed limits are 100% arbitrary) the most important point the authors seem to be missing is that for IQ tests, a standard deviation is DEFINED as 10 pts....A change of 6pts is therefore statistically the same as NO CHANGE.

OK OK. Break it up. Back in your computers, folks. Nothing to see here.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Having a parent who smoked in the automobile with the windows shut and the ventilation fan turned off (A surprising number of smokers seemed to prefer this) would expose you to a significant amount of CO.
I remember that well. Both my parents smoked. Made me so sick, and, no, it was not motion sickness. Same when smoking was allowed in airplanes. Now I am no longer nauseated when flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology