Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,126 times

Advertisements

i turn off my computer but leave on the tv, because the computer is more important to me. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
I let it ride baby! I didn't buy that UPS just to sit there and beep at me when the power goes out. I enjoy my sense of smug during a power outage knowing I am probably the only person in my neighborhood still on the internet. Mwah hah!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
I don't unplug them. The chance of damage vs the inconvenience of doing so, motivates me not to unplug them.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
If you live in FLorida land of the daily thunderstorm. Unplugging things you value and or plugging them into a quality UPS/surge is a really really good idea. I don't unplug my stuff unless the storm is really bad and really close, but will shut them all down. I have a few really good ups's tho. (Even one for the tv!). Many of the cheapie surge protectors offer more outlets, but almost NO surge protection so better safe than sorry.. At work we've had several lightning hits that have taken out entire infrastructure's at satellite sites, and thats with proper grounding and ups protection. Always something. As a comptuer tech, ive made a good amount of dough going to peoples houses and resetting their power supply after a hit. So you don't HAVE to unplug them! Only if you want to save yourself some trouble.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM

14 posts, read 34,096 times
i just make sure my projector is off to make sure the bulb in it does not break. To much money to chance it.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 PM

215 posts, read 771,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
This is a follow on question from the UPS versus Surge Protector.

Do you turn off your electronics during a thunderstorm?
Hell no!!! In fact I strip down naked, cover myself in tin foil and run through an open field!!!

Why??

Because I'm a real man!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Hell no!!! In fact I strip down naked, cover myself in tin foil and run through an open field!!!

Why??

Because I'm a real man!
They say the tin foil hat people are the crazies, but I disagree. It is those tin foil body wrap people who are really the dangerous ones. *chuckle*

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
No, Im well aware of this. We actually had a surge at work that caused the lights to flicker yesterday due to a T-Storm.

My PC is behind a surge protector, and some of my equipment even has its own mini breaker on the suppressor to ensure that it doesn't trip the breaker, either direction. So, I'm fairly secure. I'd love to get a UPS... but cannot afford it.
Hmmm, I was just thinking, suppose there was a surge protector plugged into another surge protector?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Hmmm, I was just thinking, suppose there was a surge protector plugged into another surge protector?
It would have no effect if the power surge came down the telephone/cable line!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Hmm, let me see. DSL goes to the modem > another line comes out of the modem and goes to the router > which has a line going to the computer. I see...

So, there must be a way of putting a surge buffer between the line and the computer somewhere along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology