Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times

Advertisements

so, i kinda forgot that i had posted this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
You'll keep on losing energy from air resistance and friction so what will happen is that after giving it an initial push, it will slow down and stop.
yeah, that was another thing. it was supposed to be as close to vacuum as possible, and i realize that magnets aren't perpetual. but i would not likely see the power decrease over time as a strong factor--assuming that we could get the hypothetical thing revolving anyway.

cool revolving door by the way.

EDIT: i love the humorous responses about religion and politics. got a kick out of those, and repped you both too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Didn't see it mentioned, but this has been a topic of "controversy" concerning a recent claim made by the Steorn group about a free energy device they claim they have developed. It uses magnets and last I heard they were in the process of a challenge to the scientific community to put the device through tests to explain why it is doing what it is doing (Steorn can not explain why it works *chuckle*).

I used to follow it up to about the time they attempted to do their first public demo of it and it had some problems to which a lot of people lost interest in it.

Apparently the site is still up and there is a fan site that has taken the specs for the design and has been playing with it.

First the Steorn site.

Steorn

Second the fan site keeping track of it with a video of a device working.

Free Energy Truth - Steorn & Orbo: Steorn Forum Members Demo Magnet Motor Video

Anyway, I thought it relevant to the discussion.

Honestly, I am still up in the air about it. And I haven't followed it enough recently to get a reassessment as to what I think.

Enjoy

Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
yeah, that was another thing. it was supposed to be as close to vacuum as possible, and i realize that magnets aren't perpetual. but i would not likely see the power decrease over time as a strong factor--assuming that we could get the hypothetical thing revolving anyway.
I was thinking more about the point that touches the bottom of the apparatus. Obviously you've taken care to avoid having as much friction as possible but I still can't imagine the thing running for more that an hour.

I think that when it comes to trying to get perpetual motion, the thing to think about is the fact that no energy can be going in and the energy that's already there will become unusable(entropy) or will find a way to escape. In a sense all we are doing is fighting the inevitable. We can get a system to move for 5 days or 5 years or even 500 years if we somehow manage to make it energy efficient enough but for something to be truly called perpetual, it needs to never lose any energy and that requires some laws of physics to be broken.

Quote:
cool revolving door by the way.

EDIT: i love the humorous responses about religion and politics. got a kick out of those, and repped you both too.
Hehe why thank you, here is my virtual blush=>

Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Didn't see it mentioned, but this has been a topic of "controversy" concerning a recent claim made by the Steorn group about a free energy device they claim they have developed. It uses magnets and last I heard they were in the process of a challenge to the scientific community to put the device through tests to explain why it is doing what it is doing (Steorn can not explain why it works *chuckle*).

I used to follow it up to about the time they attempted to do their first public demo of it and it had some problems to which a lot of people lost interest in it.

Apparently the site is still up and there is a fan site that has taken the specs for the design and has been playing with it.

First the Steorn site.

Steorn

Honestly, I am still up in the air about it. And I haven't followed it enough recently to get a reassessment as to what I think.

Enjoy
I think it's just a big scam. Absolutely no evidence that their claims are right, conveniently every "scientist" who verified it are unnamed and what the hell? Was Steorn itself in charge of finding and selecting the very scientists who can give credibility to their claim? That smells very fishy, so strongly in fact that I bet even people living China can feel the whiff.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

First the Steorn site.

Steorn

Enjoy
that's cool. i just wiki'ed them. i personally think it is a hoax. i honestly don't believe that we are even remotely advanced enough to figure out something as groundbreaking as perpetual energy.

but it certainly was fun trying to design it.

aaron out.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
As far as we know all energy is perpetual. Of course, so-called useful energy is always decreasing in any closed system (like the universe). People who claim otherwise are either deluded or scam artists.
There may be untapped energy resources out there, but they won't be tapped using simple magnets in even the most clever of arrangements. We need to work on utilizing the energy resources that do exist more efficiently.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I think it's just a big scam. Absolutely no evidence that their claims are right, conveniently every "scientist" who verified it are unnamed and what the hell? Was Steorn itself in charge of finding and selecting the very scientists who can give credibility to their claim? That smells very fishy, so strongly in fact that I bet even people living China can feel the whiff.

Quote:
that's cool. i just wiki'ed them. i personally think it is a hoax. i honestly don't believe that we are even remotely advanced enough to figure out something as groundbreaking as perpetual energy.

but it certainly was fun trying to design it.

aaron out.

I just don't know. There is not enough information to make a judgment in my opinoin. I mean, sure... there are a lot of legit counters to it based on what we know. The position against has credible position and certainly a lot of support to further that position.

In the end though, it isn't proved or disproved in terms of their claims. One can disregard it as too wild of a claim to give any significant consideration, but then that really isn't disproving it or answering to the claims directly.

Apparently though, the reason they did the business ad for it and didn't take it to proper scientific channels is because they did do so and it was brushed away as impossible and a waste of time to look at. Not that makes this legit, but it is plausible in reasoning.

As for the scientist, they picked from a pool of applicants they felt were qualified. From my understanding, the sterorn group isn't merely a bunch of hacks, from what I have gathered, the applications were open to all. I think I even read that Steorn said he would gladly accept the elite of the scientific community, but they were not applying for an application nor were they willing when they attempted to go through traditional channels the first time.

Personally, I just don't know, so I will remain neither for nor against it.

Though I did find it interesting to watch that video of the device in the second link. Providing it isn't a hoax in that demonstration (it very well could be), it is very odd how it sped up, more specifically after he stopped two of the rotating magnets in the synchronization.

Proof will be in the pudding as they say. If he is wrong, matters not. If he is on to something, well... that would certainly be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology