Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

No other species on the planet treats its own species as poorly as we do. We have a great deal of 'evolving' yet to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Humans are growing larger, so are our IQ's, and interbreeding of races will gradually create one race that, hopefully, will get along on this earth! At least I would like to think so . Also, humans are gradually losing their little toes...they are getting smaller and smaller and some babies are being born without them. This is because we are wearing more and more shoes!
I agree, have you noticed all the fat-assed kids? Get some exercise you little wart! And take your fat mommy and daddy with you! At least buy a Wii.

As for getting smarter; I would like to introduce you to the kids on both sides of us and the ones across the street. Evolution has apparently dead-ended on this street.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Maybe that's what happens occasionally when a couple of throwbacks get together and conceive.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Default Of course we're evolving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
to get it out, im not looking to debate if evolution is real or not

im going to generalize a lot here so bare with me

typically when a species evolves the group that got the superior traits lives while the group with the flawed traits die. it just so happens to filter out the weak group

is this the same with humans? up to a point it seems this was the case. but now we have created an enviorment where humans with flawed traits still make it through life and breed, has natural selection been disabled?

I can't answer that just now because I am adjusting my dorsal sensory pod. I've got it caught in the sleeve of my 3-armed sweater.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
The OP asks whether humans are still evolving or not. I find it pretty hard to imagine modern humans (homo sapiens) have somehow peaked or stopped in the process of evolving. As a species, we've only been on the planet for a very small period of time. Interestingly though, we're the only species of humans who have survived.

So, yes, we're still evolving. The big question is where will evolution take us? If the past is an indicator of anything, then most likely other species of humans will branch off from homo sapiens in the future.

Some have suggested we might evolve into a blend of human and machine. Modifying humans with mechanical parts is already a fact, and we could well see a greater increase of that in the future. I don't think we'll be seeing anything in the way of cyborgs as a result of genetic change though. That's not to say machines couldn't replicate, but that would be a mechanical replication rather than a biological one.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
We could be different someday, but not necessarily better.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
We could be different someday, but not necessarily better.

Of course you're speaking from our point of view. Perhaps a few hundred thousand or so years from now homo sapiens might have become long extinct. Future branches that evolve as the dominant life form may look back at us wondering at how incredibly primative our existence was as they study our fossilized remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology