Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times

Advertisements

OK...wierd trivia question..

Every once & awhile I forget to dial a "1' before dialing an out of area nnumber...that of course results in an anouncement telling me I need to dial a "1" first".

Question....If the system is smart enough to know I need to dial a "1" then why dosen't it just insert the "1" for me and get on with it ??

Long ago we didn't need to do the "1" thing.... when and why did this come about ?? I don't get it...the phone system (actually a computer switching network activated by audio tones) knows that the number I just entered is out of it's immediate area...so just go do it !! What is the justification for making me reenter the whole string again when it already knows what I'm trying to do ????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:09 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Not so long ago... you had to dial the operator to have a long distance call put through. You dialed 0 and the operator took the number and patched it through. Later, you dialed 0 plus the number you were calling, and got connected faster. Then, if you dialed 1 and then the number, you could avoid the operator entirely and get a lower rate.

The 1 now tweaks the system to let it know the number is in fact long distance and you know it is a billable call. There are no area codes that begin with the number 1. Otherwise, say you had a local number of 555-1212. There also could be an area code of 555. If you have seven number dialing, punching in 555-555-1212 could either be interpreted as a long distance call, or the number 555-5551 plus a 212 PBX extension. The system would have to register a pause at the end of the 555-5551 as an indication that it was a local number... BUT, if you didn't remember the entire long distance number of 555-555-1212 and happened to pause after entering the first 1, you would have a misdial. In areas where you must dial the full ten digits, it doesn't seem as important, but the infrastructure expects standardization. That is why keyboards still have a "break" key and a "print screen" key, and the keyboard codes to the computer are based on the English language even if the keys are remapped to a different one. Even if it was practical, the cost of changing the infrastructure would be huge, as well as creating compliance problems while some of it used the old system and some the new.

North American Numbering Plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
There are sometimes multiple area codes within a single region. In those cases, the 1 is not needed since it is still a intrastate or intraregional call and does not require the interregional or interstate switches to complete the call. When you need to dial a number outside of your region, then it must identify the number as beloning to another switch domain and the 1 does that.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Telephone intelligence has been a continuous evolvement from switch clicking to get the Operator to voice command today. There once was a time the telco switch needed the 1 to tell it to pass the call to long distance equipment. Not all localities in the country have sophisticated switching equipment and rely on what ever works best for the cost.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
OTOH:

Whenever I dial any call on my cell phone: I do not use the '1'---------but, have to dial the area code even if the number is in my area code.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
The "1" is the international code for the United States. It lets the computer know that you are not trying to dial overseas. Cell phones must be programmed to assume that you are not calling overseas. I guess that as technology changes, our dialing habits will change too.

My brother still has an old rotary phone from the 50's hanging in his kitchen. My kids were staring at it, and didn't have a clue how to use it. I said, "Where do you think the term dialing a number comes from?"
I had to show them how to dial, and then pull your finger out real fast, so it comes back by itself.

Teenage kids, and they were fascinated.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Dialing "1" is the equivalent of clicking the "I agree" button to agree to the Terms of Service when you install new software or register on a web site. You're agreeing when you dial a call that starts with "1" that you understand that the call you are making is within the US or Canada and subject to long-distance charges.

Some areas of the country have overlay area codes, which are a second area code within the same geographic area. Overlays force local calls within that area to be dialed with the preceding area code. Every call dialed there must include the area code, even when it's to the same area code, but it's not necessarily long distance.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I just use cell phones and Skype neither of which require a 1.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
My VOIP home telephone service (through the Cable company) does not require a "1" when calling long distance...

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I usually have to dial 1,+ the area code with my cell. But once while at the eye doctor's place, I could not dial it that way. Just for the heck of it, I dialed only the seven digit number and got through. Odd things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology