U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM

13,136 posts, read 39,201,905 times

Advertisements

I just read this excellent article on Scientific American Magazine about the only human ever to come down with rabies and survive and what her doctors did to save her and why it hasn't worked since. Jeanna Giese was bitten by a rabid bat 4 years ago at age 15 and came down with rabies and was days from death and yet today she is alive and well with just a slight list when she walks.

Medical Mystery: Only One Person Has Survived Rabies without Vaccine--But How?: Scientific American
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM

8,672 posts, read 21,594,974 times
Interesting post. I thought it was usually fatal, but I wasn't aware that only one person had survived rabies. I

Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Once rabies symptoms start it's 100% fatal until Jeanna survived it. The ''Milwaukee Protocol'' which saved her has never worked again so they don't know why she survived in the first place and secondly why it's never worked again on others since her recovery who have contracted and died of rabies.

Although the scientists said they are going to start animal trials with it and try to perfect it in humans.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM

54,142 posts, read 32,564,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I just read this excellent article on Scientific American Magazine about the only human ever to come down with rabies and survive and what her doctors did to save her and why it hasn't worked since. Jeanna Giese was bitten by a rabid bat 4 years ago at age 15 and came down with rabies and was days from death and yet today she is alive and well with just a slight list when she walks.

Medical Mystery: Only One Person Has Survived Rabies without Vaccine--But How?: Scientific American
LOL.. I would have said Ozzy Osbourne, but I forgot, he had to go through rabies treatments! I hear they're VERY painful!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. I would have said Ozzy Osbourne, but I forgot, he had to go through rabies treatments! I hear they're VERY painful!
Can't forget about Ozzy .

They used to give them in the stomach but i heard that's changed although i'm not 100% sure .

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 AM

54,142 posts, read 32,564,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Can't forget about Ozzy .

They used to give them in the stomach but i heard that's changed although i'm not 100% sure .
I'm not sure if that's changed or not, but I remember the incident in which he bit the head off of a live bat that was thrown on stage by somebody in the audience. Ozzy said he thought it was a fake bat, but unfortunately it turned out to be real and he had to go through those painful rabies treatments... I remember an interview sometime in 1983 he mentioned they were VERY painful.

The bat incident also happened not too long after he bit the head off of a dove, when he and his wife Sharon met a number of record company executives.

I think he cut down on biting heads off of things after that!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM

21,839 posts, read 64,886,102 times
This thread drift makes me wonder...
If Ozzy had married Loerna Bobbitt, what would their children have done...

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,728,819 times
This thread reminds me of people who are naturally immune to some diseases. I knew two who could not get a smallpox vaccine because of that. And, there were those in the 1917 influenza outbreak who did not die from it. Possibly there were some who didn't get sick at all.

Hopefully they will find out more about such people. It could give us some clues about how to better survive disease.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
This thread reminds me of people who are naturally immune to some diseases. I knew two who could not get a smallpox vaccine because of that. And, there were those in the 1917 influenza outbreak who did not die from it. Possibly there were some who didn't get sick at all.

Hopefully they will find out more about such people. It could give us some clues about how to better survive disease.
Great post and thought Brian.....about testing those like the 1917 survivors to see what kind of immune cells they have and they should study Jeanna's Cells also.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,728,819 times
I remember reading that they had found antibodies from survivors of the 1917 influenza. I just did a Google search and found this:

The data, plus recent recreation of the 1918 influenza virus for laboratory study, also ought to give microbiologists a head start in making a specific vaccine against the 1917 virus, or a close relative, should it appear again. The study finds that the antibodies, as though tempered to greater toughness by time, have mutated steadily in ways that enhance their potency.

I've done more searches looking for natural immunity from smallpox, but have found contradictory information. Some say there is no "natural immunity." Some have said it exists, but it is rare. Still others suggest some must've had light exposure to the virus (or something to that effect.) I've posted a question about this with the hope of clearing this up.

BTW, I remember reading an article like this, about the influenza antibodies, and how long lasting they were.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 10-11-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology