Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,412,757 times

Advertisements

What years would I go to?

First off, I am into the Back to the Future (BTTF) / The Time Machine thinking: that whatever time travel machine/ vehicle I am in will transport other "things" back with me.

Second, also taking from BTTF, If I don't like the outcome of my catastrophic changing of the future from the past, I can go back to when I first arrived in the past and stop myself from making those changes. - Back to the Future Part II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of course there is the possibility that I won't listen to myself and still perpetuate such changes, only to regret them later and again attempt to go back and change it, thus creating some sort of unescapable time loop. Or I'll start to fade away a la Marty in his photograph, at which point, I'm screwed.

1- Early America (sometime between 1600-1871)

What I'll bring back with me:
- An early book about electricity.
- Medicine / antibiotics
- Guns and ammo. Lots of guns and ammo.
- My truck, if possible, or at least an engine, transmission, and diagrams on how to build the rest of the truck.
- Ipod-type music player, most likely my cell phone.
- Lots and lots and lots, like millions of seeds native to North America, such as trees, plants.
- A small solar generator and diagrams for it.
- A diagram of wind power generators.
- Maps
- 100 different pairs of eyeglasses
- Various other trinkets useful for survival and superior to colonial technology.

My agenda:

- Arm the "Indians"
- Stop the French, Spanish, and British/Irish/Italians and any others from taking over North America.
- RULE with an iron fist! Chief Happy Narf
- Maintain 90% natural un-harmed forest and plains. Maybe 1 or a few mega-cities, and some rural small towns. Think no sprawl.
- In relation the previous point; Become the colonial version of Al Gore and warn over the dangers of global warming. More importantly, push for conserving resources and animals.
- Meet the dodo and kill it.

Depending on what year I decide, I'll befriend a small group of natives, earn their trust, then work my way up in the group by being a superior warrior and hunter. (more advanced weapons, maps, and 21st century knowledge about physical fitness). Although, I won't completely reveal all of the advanced stuff yet, until I gain more trust. It will be a slow process over the course of a year.
I would prefer to arrive post-Chicagofire...because I love my Chitown . At that point, the plain states, or midwest was relatively empty still, and railroads were being built, but some of the major cities were already thriving, NYC, Chicago etc.
Maybe I'll arrive mid 1840s to get a jump on the gold rush and make myself a millionaire.
Or maybe I'll arrive 1600 and claim the whole continent

Basically the plan is to arm the natives, become one of them and rule the world through America. I think I can do this by being 300+ years advanced in technology over the world.

Issues:
- Have to still establish relations with someone from Europe to acquire a scientist to understand, re-imagine, and re-construct the technology that I brought back with me AND not allow him to bring that information back with him to Europe. The difficulty of this will depend on what year I arrive. Maybe I arrive in the mid-late 1700s and steal Benjamin Franklin?
- Prepping. Based on the exact year I arrive, I'll have to study up on history and plan out how I want to attack/defend. This could be difficult as the farther back I go, the harder it is to land exact places to their co-ordinates and exact time. But definitely do-able.
- Have to acquire a gunsmith or whomever to build bullets for me, since I'm sure even if I bring back 10,000, they'll be gone pretty quick.
- Refueling my vehicle. As it becomes revealed, they will fear it. I mean imagine that, a 4x4 truck, with possibly a bullbar, blowing smoke out the back, rumbling and going faster than any horse... The problem is, if I go back earlier than late 1800s, I'll have to have a biodiesel set up, or if I come late 1800s, I'll have to store my vehicle away for a while until more refined fuel is available ....
akkkhchh....
- I'm not sure how women of back then would understand what a condom is....assuming I don't bring my GF back with me...lol

2- Philippines 1565
- Same as #1 above essentially. Arrive after Spanish influence, but before American influence. I chose this date, because it will take a longer time to build up and out here, due to lack of land. Maybe take over China, India, and Japan. Philippines, always at the tail end of imperialism; but not anymore!!

3 - Europe 60,000 years ago
- Same things brought back with me as above, same agenda
Except I will try some of that Neanderthal pie, create a superior breed of half-intellectual, half-brawny beasts. After all my work is done in about 10-20 years, I'll travel forward in time in small glimpses of how it's turning out. Will we have a planet of supermen and flying cars by what would be 1 C.E. ??? Or will they bash my skull in and eat my truck?
teehee

4 - Sometime in the future
- I would be more scared of going to the future, but definitely more interested.
I'd love to see the advancements, but because it is the future, I will be going in blind essentially. I'll also be at a disadvantage technologically vs going backwards in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,497,003 times
Is this a 'visit' or a one-way trip?

Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM

116 posts, read 368,094 times
There are some very interesting youtube videos about so called alleged time travelers caught in photos.
Also something about a man from the future that came and played some stocks and some government agency arrrested him and he escaped and was never found.
The things I would do...
Check out Netflix The Umbrella Academy Series, cool.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 PM

15,382 posts, read 9,004,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Seems silly, but someone once asked me if I had a time machine, what year(s) would I want to go to.... I never thought much about it until then.

Lets say you own a time machine, but can only go to three different years.... what years would you choose and why (optional).

Mine are:

1959 (was not around this year)
1972 (or this one)
1985 (was 9 years old this year)
2030 (will be 54 on this year! )

and maybe back to 1990.....
1926, 1936, 1946 and 1956.

I just love the decades, just before I was born. The architecture was amazing, the cars were amazing. I would love to travel and visit various cities and see beautiful old buildings that were bombed in the Urban Renewal blitz of the 1960s and 70s, only to be replaced with the most boring mind numbing crap they could think of. Also people watching in that time period would be awesome. It was a time when people took care of their appearance, and actually had style, and women didn't have sailor tattoos all over their bodies. No offense to women who like sailor tattoos. LOL.

It's been all downhill since then. I definitely would not travel into the future. If I did that, I would fully expect to end up in the middle of World War 3, or at very least in a famine brought on by overpopulation.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM

16,520 posts, read 19,634,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Here are mine

1999 - I would buy $100 of dollars worth of PLAIN M&Ms!! (They were changed from using reg milk to SKIM MILK in 2000 and now that like crap) I would buy many things of lipton Iced tea! (Back then it didnt have MALTODEXTRIN in it and was delicious)

1987 - I would goto my middle school and get many helpings of thier CABBAGE SALAD!!!! (Oh my,i loved it!!)

1984 - I would goto my elementary school and buy MANY HAMBURGERS!! (Oh my,i loved them like crazy!!)

1975 - I would buy MANY BOXS of my most favourite mac and cheese ever: GOLDEN GRAIN 'MACARONI AND CHEDDER'!! (Company sold in 1986 )

My god, someone likes to really eat.

1) Me, I'd want to see dinosaurs so way way back.
2) The 13 colonies.
3) The Land Rush.

4) 3,000 AD... I'd want to go WAY out not just a few hundred years.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,488,650 times
If it's only a time machine, I could arrive in empty space or inside a star. All objects are in constant motion. With a time space machine, I could visit other solar systems, maybe other galaxies.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 PM

33,517 posts, read 37,091,816 times
And so it begins...An international team of scientists claims to have reversed time with the help of a quantum computer.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/scie...uter-1.4334427

Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM

661 posts, read 520,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1926, 1936, 1946 and 1956.

I just love the decades, just before I was born. The architecture was amazing, the cars were amazing. I would love to travel and visit various cities and see beautiful old buildings that were bombed in the Urban Renewal blitz of the 1960s and 70s, only to be replaced with the most boring mind numbing crap they could think of. Also people watching in that time period would be awesome. It was a time when people took care of their appearance, and actually had style, and women didn't have sailor tattoos all over their bodies. No offense to women who like sailor tattoos. LOL.

It's been all downhill since then. I definitely would not travel into the future. If I did that, I would fully expect to end up in the middle of World War 3, or at very least in a famine brought on by overpopulation.

I say this as someone even later generation than you who hasn't quite hit 30 yet.

I do sympathize that overall living and anxieties today is like Hell compared to when you were just growing up or before you were born. If I was living as a young adult back, even 20 years ago was a better world economically and socially.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM

15,788 posts, read 6,497,782 times
2030 -- I may be dead by then, so I'd just like to see what happens to the world. The other years I've already lived through.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,479,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
Time travel is only currently possible if you travel just below the speed of ligh to arrive in the future. Right now astronaughts leap into the future by a few minutes as they take long durration flights. To travel into the past is only an idea. Some physacists think that if the speed of light barrier can be breached that time would then move backwards. Me Im not too sure.
Minutes? Not even close.

Scott Kelly, retired American astronaut, has spent 520 days in space, orbiting the Earth at nearly 5 miles per second. He's a twin. Know how much less Scott Kelly has aged than his twin? About five milliseconds. And he hasn't 'leaped into the future' - he just has experienced a slightly (extreme emphasis on the slightly) slower experience of time relative to those on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology