Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM

399 posts, read 352,390 times

Advertisements

I am not American. But I love 1940s era USA small town/farm life. Liberal values - people were more accepting than before. Women didn't wear brad, the free love movement etc.

2013 was great for me personally, I was as happy back then as I was in my childhood. My shi*ty country had mass protests but I couldn't care less, I was so happy. I love every piece of 2013, every single thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 AM

356 posts, read 175,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I am not American. But I love 1940s era USA small town/farm life. Liberal values - people were more accepting than before. Women didn't wear brad, the free love movement etc.
What!?!?

Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM

In 1940-1979 the USA was the best country in the world. In the 80s and 90s Germany and Scandinavia were better.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:26 AM

In the 80s and 90s before the 99% male "refugees" life in West Germany was great.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:45 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
1946 - After WWll, life seemed simpler and people more optimistic
1981 - Met my husband

Old 04-06-2019, 06:07 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LGmm1M5Is

Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,468,967 times
Tenochtitlan before the arrival of the Spanish in 1519. Well, provided I don't get sacrificed.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:40 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Tenochtitlan before the arrival of the Spanish in 1519. Well, provided I don't get sacrificed.
I'd like to see that too...provided I don't get sacrificed. That'd be an interesting society to see. They were so violent, but they had that probably pretty fascinating city, and they would have had daily lives like anyone else. I'd like to see how they lived and how they behaved on a daily basis and that sort of thing.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
I'm basing my decisions off the assumption we can easily return to the present day, and off what I'd like to see the most...as opposed to basing my decisions off motivations like the desire to go back in time forty years and buy stock, or the desire to go into the future to bring back useful technologies or event-altering knowledge to the present.

* I'd like to go 10,000 years into the future to see if humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, is still around, and see what we've become if we are.

*If humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, is still around 10,000 years in the future I'd like to go 100,000 years into the future to see if humanity is still around.

* If humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, or might have, was still around 100,000 years in the future, I'd like to go seven billion years into the future, well after the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies have begun merging, to see if any life forms that might have had human ancestors, or human creators, are still around and I'd like to stay there until I learn as much as I can without a huge amount of trouble about possible human history.

*If humanity, or any detectable spacefaring life, was still around 7 billion years in the future, I'd like to travel 4 trillion years into the future. By well before this time, from what I understand, people may not have a way to determine that the Big Bang ever happened. Also, many galaxies will have moved so far away that nobody will be able to tell they ever existed. I'd like to give any spacefaring life still around lots of data from Earth's present day astronomers and astrophysicists and watch their facial expressions...once I figure out how to understand what those facial expressions mean...assuming they have faces.

*If humanity was not around 10,000 years in the future I'd like to travel to 2,000 years in the future to see what humanity has become, if it's still around.

*If humanity was not around 2,000 years in the future, I'd like to go three hundred years in the future to see what it has become if it's still around.

The above will give me one or two or 0 more times to travel to. After the above times have been traveled to, I'd like to do the following, if possible.

*I'd like to travel to Earth at the time when large plant life had long ago spread over Earth's surface, but large multicellular animal life was just getting started there. I'd like the animal life to be as rare as possible, at a time when I'd still get to see lots of ancient vegetation. That way, I can admire the scenery without being attacked by enormous predatory insects.

*If I have another destination left, I'd like to travel to Cahokia Mounds in what is now Western Illinois, USA. I'd to go there about 1,000 years ago, at the height of their society, when Cahokia may have been home to as many as 15,000 people. I'd like to see their wooden walls, and their ceremonies atop Monks Mound, and their daily life.

Last edited by Clintone; 04-11-2019 at 03:55 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 PM

427 posts, read 243,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'm basing my decisions off the assumption we can easily return to the present day, and off what I'd like to see the most...as opposed to basing my decisions off motivations like the desire to go back in time forty years and buy stock, or the desire to go into the future to bring back useful technologies or event-altering knowledge to the present.

* I'd like to go 10,000 years into the future to see if humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, is still around, and see what we've become if we are.

*If humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, is still around 10,000 years in the future I'd like to go 100,000 years into the future to see if humanity is still around.

* If humanity, or some tool-using life that emerged from it, or might have, was still around 100,000 years in the future, I'd like to go seven billion years into the future, well after the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies have begun merging, to see if any life forms that might have had human ancestors, or human creators, are still around and I'd like to stay there until I learn as much as I can without a huge amount of trouble about possible human history.

*If humanity, or any detectable spacefaring life, was still around 7 billion years in the future, I'd like to travel 4 trillion years into the future. By well before this time, from what I understand, people may not have a way to determine that the Big Bang ever happened. Also, many galaxies will have moved so far away that nobody will be able to tell they ever existed. I'd like to give any spacefaring life still around lots of data from Earth's present day astronomers and astrophysicists and watch their facial expressions...once I figure out how to understand what those facial expressions mean...assuming they have faces.

*If humanity was not around 10,000 years in the future I'd like to travel to 2,000 years in the future to see what humanity has become, if it's still around.

*If humanity was not around 2,000 years in the future, I'd like to go three hundred years in the future to see what it has become if it's still around.

The above will give me one or two or 0 more times to travel to. After the above times have been traveled to, I'd like to do the following, if possible.

*I'd like to travel to Earth at the time when large plant life had long ago spread over Earth's surface, but large multicellular animal life was just getting started there. I'd like the animal life to be as rare as possible, at a time when I'd still get to see lots of ancient vegetation. That way, I can admire the scenery without being attacked by enormous predatory insects.

*If I have another destination left, I'd like to travel to Cahokia Mounds in what is now Western Illinois, USA. I'd to go there about 1,000 years ago, at the height of their society, when Cahokia may have been home to as many as 15,000 people. I'd like to see their wooden walls, and their ceremonies atop Monks Mound, and their daily life.
A fellow Missourian, I see! Cahokia Mounds was always the boring field-trip the schools were dragged on...At least that's what my sister told me!

I'd probably go to Constantinople in 555AD, when the Eastern Roman Empire was at its height under Justinian the Great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology