Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Reading this on Scientific American magazine about 8 parasitic worms that live many humans all around the world from either the food we eat or soil/water in certain places we are exposed too.

Hookworm
Roundworm
Whipworm
Lymphatic Filariae
Schistosomes
Trichinella
Tapeworm
Pinworm

Worms 'N Us: A look at 8 parasitic worms that live in humans: Scientific American Slideshow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Ack! Maybe I should see a vet.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,195 times
Ewww I always thought humans were gross but now I think I'll never touch anyone or anything again. Oh wait, I'm touching my keyboard... never mind. The one in the eye freaked me out the most, now I'm going to have nightmares about worms coming out of my eyeballs. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,968,917 times
We used to have very interesting slide shows in Medical Microbiology and Immunology class.... These were not nearly as crazy as some of those. Still interesting and makes you think though.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM

I was just thinking about this recently. Suppose some worms are beneficial?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I was just thinking about this recently. Suppose some worms are beneficial?
Interesting to ponder....... I did read reciently in a clinical study about people who have higher levels of gut parasites have lower levels of Crohns disease as the worms take the focus of the auto-immune cells away from attacking the human gut lining.

I also read a several yaers ago about how we evolved as Hunter Gatherers with parasites in our gut as they help to remove iron from our body by sucking on our blood at such a low level we couldn't even tell and yet enough to remove iron with is toxic overload from hunting and eating beef in most most men and women over 40 which is a good thing if you believe that paleo research.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
What can I say? My body is an ecosystem. I try my best to keep everyone happy.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Sorry, but these worms aren't beneficial. Depending on the species they can give you anemia, B12 deficiency, liver failure, and lymphedema, among other things. And that's only a FEW of the parasites!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Interesting to ponder....... I did read reciently in a clinical study about people who have higher levels of gut parasites have lower levels of Crohns disease as the worms take the focus of the auto-immune cells away from attacking the human gut lining.

I also read a several yaers ago about how we evolved as Hunter Gatherers with parasites in our gut as they help to remove iron from our body by sucking on our blood at such a low level we couldn't even tell and yet enough to remove iron with is toxic overload from hunting and eating beef in most most men and women over 40 which is a good thing if you believe that paleo research.
I did a quick search and found a site with a possible scenario. They suggest cooking began about 1.9 million years ago with early Homo Erectus.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I did a quick search and found a site with a possible scenario. They suggest cooking began about 1.9 million years ago with early Homo Erectus.
Again as the Scientific American magazine story states that many of these parasites are dangerous especially those in non North American tropical countries and continents (Africa and South America) as that's why i posted the story. However here you go as i found the Michigan State University study with a $10 million dollar grant from the NIH showing when they gave a combo of Whipworm eggs and gatorade to those who had inflammatory bowel disease they got better.

Not sure if this is true or not but seems like i read years back in one of my science magazines that most of us in America have parasites in us as we've all at one time or another have eaten undercooked meat or played in dirt as kids where some of them lay eggs in but that our immune cells over the last several centuries here in North America evolved to keep certain one's in check from killing us or making us super sick.

Parasitic Worms Used To Fight Bowel Disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology