Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times

Advertisements

Giant Blob Found Deep Beneath Nevada

Here's how it works: "The Earth's mantle, which lies below the thin outer crust we live on, consists of rock which deforms plastically on very long time scales due to the heat and pressure at depth," West said. "In any material which can flow (including the mantle), a heavy object will tend to sink through lighter material."

I found this on Fox news:
Giant Blob Found Deep Beneath Nevada - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Well if it's on Faux News, it has to be true!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post

Priceless.

It's a story on Fox News, so it's obviously all lies, right?

I guess it doesn't matter that the original source is LiveScience. It probably also doesn't matter that the research was done by an Arizona State University graduate student in seismology, not a Fox journalist. And I'm absolutely positive that the research, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, has to be false, as it was published in the journal Nature Geoscience last month.

Yep, clearly all lies. After all, it was found on FoxNews.com...

You guys crack me up.

Now, back to the topic...

This is pretty interesting. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I'll be in central Nevada later this month, but near the Utah border - I wonder if I'll be driving over the "blob" on my way?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post

Fair and unbalanced.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

This is pretty interesting. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I'll be in central Nevada later this month, but near the Utah border - I wonder if I'll be driving over the "blob" on my way?
If you drive over a spot that seems kind of sticky and gooey, that's it! Take along a few CO2 fire extinguishers just in case. It worked for Steve McQueen.

From what I understand about the "blob" is that it's located quite a ways underground but it's not likely to cause any kind of sinking or uplifting to the surface. It's been compared to a blob of honey that's dripping. I sort of envision it being similar to what you'd see in a lava lamp. Seems appropriate.

Apart from the news media, there are a number of geological centers that have also posted information about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology