Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: World Wide Mind possible?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

PBS Previews | 22nd Century

YouTube - World Wide Mind Part 1

Yeah I know this tread is pretty far out. But I'm still going to look for opinions on this subject.

Ok so I'm scanning through youtube and I run across this special that was aired on PBS "22nd century: world wide mind." Basically this particular episode was about the possible future advancement of certain segments of technology that will help humans better communicate and obtain information via technology implants. Basically, they were talking about creating a cyborg.
Also there was this idea of a world wide mind. Where pretty much a person would have incredibly small wires threaded through blood vessels in the brain that could create a connection with other minds or a computer data-base where a person could receive or give information just by thinking it.

So let me ask you guys. Do you think "The World Wide Mind" is possible sometime in the future?

Thanks for all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Regarding Aldous Huxley, while he was a writer and thinker, he was also a strong advocate for the use of psychedelics. I assume the inclusion of Huxley was the idea that psychedelics were thought of as a way to expand the brain's potential, perhaps enabling people to even use telepathy to link minds. It sort of connects the subject of the article and video to the idea of the World Wide Mind concept.

The World Wide Mind concept is primarily a speculation of what will happen in the future. While it's possible such a thing could happen, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will indeed happen. Keep in mind that a lot of projections don't always become a reality.

On the other side of the coin, in more of a natural sense, there is what is considered the "Hive Mind" or "Collective Mind" that humans and many species of life on the planet possess. Some of that may be instinctive, genetically hard-wired in the brain. Bees and ants are a typical examples of creatures that exhibit the Hive Mind attribute. That is, they act in a fashion that is strikingly like-minded.

On the human side, if you could examine all of humanity under a gigantic microscope, you'd see certain behaviors that people have in common. You'd see masses of people moving around on the planet. For example, large numbers of people drive around on roads, perform work-related tasks, socialize, have families, strive to survive, and so on. All these people seem to be busily milling around with activity that has some kind of purpose. From our own perspective, we understand many of our reasons and purpose. But from an external point of view, the large examiner in space would see things happening in similar ways, almost as if humans behave in certain ways like bees or ants - as though their minds are connected.

Actually wiring and using a chip in the brain can be helpful for people with serious brain injuries, such as the young man shown in the video. But the way the World Wide Mind idea sounds, it would be a common place thing for people to wire up their brains in a way that everyone has the same access and knowledge as everyone else. Seems to me that could put a damper on imaginative creativity. Everyone would think the same. Another disadvantage is that everyone would know what you're doing and when you do it.

Realistically, I'd say at best, people may have the option to wires their brains up to a central processor. A person whould need to undergo a surgical procedure in order to implant the hardware. Ouch! I suppose by 2200, such procedures might be less of a hassle than today, or would it? There would likely be people willing to do it. But I kinda have a hunch such people would be a very small minority.

However, it's possible such hardware might not need to be implanted and could be applied as easily as putting on a headband. That would also enable the user to chose when to link up with the World Wide Mind, and when not to.

Kinda reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode where people in the future at a certain age (16 or so) were required to undergo a procedure called "The Transformation". The Transformation made people act and think the same. Women became perfect women, and men became perfect men. and everyone was was happy. One girl resisted because she wanted to keep her own independence and her own ability to think and chose for herself. In the end, she was forced into it and became just like everyone else.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Like the Borg?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Becoming a cyborg isn't my life's ambition, but it seems some people are chomping at the bit to be just that.

Would you care for a glass of oil with your hydraulic fluid dinner?

Ray Kurzweil Wants to Be a Robot | Newsweek Technology | Newsweek.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westm...machines.shtml

Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The subject has been explored in sci-fi ad-nauseum. It has little practicality. Remember the phrase "don't put all your eggs in one basket?" Humanity thrived because it explored different avenues and the ones that worked became dominant.

There is an interest because the idea of a single big brain is a metaphor for the divisions within the individual brain and conflicting goals and thoughts. Jung had it pegged that we already have a collective UNconscious.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Why would I want to "connect" with most others....in light of the fact that there are Soooooo many dummies out there. I fail to see how decreasing my IQ would be a good thing. The way I partied in the 60's I need all capability I can muster !

Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Well i watched all 6 parts and so in 2030 we'll have the World Wide Mind . As for ''locked in syndrome'' i'll give that to Stem Cells possibly curing it before the cyborg technology does. Anyway it was an interesting PBS show that i hadn't seen before.

I just couldn't help myself here .

YouTube - Cyborg (1989) - Theatrical Trailer -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology