Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

Forrest Mims is an outstanding amateur scientist. He has a column that is about Science that circulates around the country. Discovery Magazine selected him last year as one of the outstanding amateur scientist in America. He lives down the road from me here in Seguin, Texas and has a couple of websites:

Forrest M. Mims III

Sun and Sky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Forrest Mims is an outstanding amateur scientist. He has a column that is about Science that circulates around the country. Discovery Magazine selected him last year as one of the outstanding amateur scientist in America. He lives down the road from me here in Seguin, Texas and has a couple of websites:

Forrest M. Mims III

Sun and Sky

Yes he is an outstanding scientist, almost in the same vein as Viktor Schauberger who was self taught and never trained in the area of conventional physics a so-called proper University and like Forrest Mims, at odds with those who believed only what the University Professor taught them in regards conventional scientific philosophy of the times. Definitely twisted quite a few arrogant noses around the world with many of his research findings.

Good for Mr Mims

Old 07-14-2009, 03:47 PM

At least its not Piled Higher and Deeper!! Mr. sounds kinda nice! I had two uncles on (one on each side of the family) who were really into science. On my dad's side, Uncle Jim made a 4 inch reflector telescope by hand grinding the mirror over a years time. This was back in the 50's. He was also into ham radio. He could have been a scientist but lived during the depression and he had six brothers and three sisters. Never had the opportunity.
On the other side (mom's side) had an uncle (Uncle Scottie) who just passed away in his 80's. He was big into science but I never knew it until the funeral. Best kept secret, and he had very bright daughters and a son.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
At least its not Piled Higher and Deeper!! Mr. sounds kinda nice! I had two uncles on (one on each side of the family) who were really into science. On my dad's side, Uncle Jim made a 4 inch reflector telescope by hand grinding the mirror over a years time. This was back in the 50's. He was also into ham radio. He could have been a scientist but lived during the depression and he had six brothers and three sisters. Never had the opportunity.
On the other side (mom's side) had an uncle (Uncle Scottie) who just passed away in his 80's. He was big into science but I never knew it until the funeral. Best kept secret, and he had very bright daughters and a son.
The interesting thing about people like Forrest Mims is that they are not into their love of science purely for the inititials in front of or after their name on some business card or official letterhead.

I like the joke you alluded to there about

B.S. = Bull Sh*t

M.S. = More Sh*t

PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper

I use to hear that at the colleges and universities I frequented in the past. It illustrates beautifully the type or caliber of individuals running our planet these days

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Mr. Mims is in for the love of Science.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,105 times
I had many of Mr. Mim's booklets on electronic circuits back when I was a kid. Playing around with those on a breadboard started me down the path to becoming an electrical engineer. I've been designing computer motherboards for almost 15 years now; life is good. Thank you, Mr. Mims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology