Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know about the December 18, 2009 (O.S.)/December 31, 2009 (N.S.) EU Directive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
This is AMERICA!!!!! The best country on the planet. Maybe the rest of the world should switch to OUR system instead! If not, screw 'em.
That's right. I'm not speaking German and I'm gonna stay Standard. Because I'm American.

When somebody tries to get me to give it to them in metric, I say I'll give you inches until you got the whole yardstick!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That's right. I'm not speaking German and I'm gonna stay Standard. Because I'm American.

When somebody tries to get me to give it to them in metric, I say I'll give you inches until you got the whole yardstick!
This thread has really gone off the deep end.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
We aren't using the metric system yet because we don't have to use it and it would be expensive to make the conversion. I remember the govt. saying everything would switch over to metric in the year 2000. We all know that didn't happen.

We won't convert easily. People are set in their ways and it would cost billions of dollars to convert tools, industries, etc. Didn't NASA have some big expensive vessel crash because some of the units were metric and some were not? I remember something about that.

Let's face it the only thing most Americans know about the metric system is that pop comes in a 2 liter bottle.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Let's face it the only thing most Americans know about the metric system is that pop comes in a 2 liter bottle.
The U.S. Dollar is metric, too!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

That's right. I'm not a Monarchist and I'm going Metric. Because I am an American NOT BRITISH. You know this is America not Britain--America measures by the meter not by the King's foot!

When somebody tries to get me to give it to them in Colonial, I say I'll give you centimeters until you got the whole meter.

Of course I can go into an Anti-Catholic rant about the Gregorian Calendar and that we should stay with the Julian Calendar because it has been used in England for 1,500 years and since we are Protestant we should stop things that will bring the tyranny of Popery into our land. The Julian Calendar is a symbol of resistance to Catholicism!!!

Quote:
We aren't using the metric system yet because we don't have to use it and it would be expensive to make the conversion. I remember the govt. saying everything would switch over to metric in the year 2000. We all know that didn't happen.

We won't convert easily. People are set in their ways and it would cost billions of dollars to convert tools, industries, etc. Didn't NASA have some big expensive vessel crash because some of the units were metric and some were not? I remember something about that.

Liters they also know Meters, etc.

Actually we will have to because our products will be outlawed and if the excess products cannot be sold, then higher prices for consumer goods will be throughout the U.S. Would you want to pay more for food and other household supplies just to support the King of Great Britain?

The cost argument is a moot point because I could say that superhighways are costly to construct and therefore it is cheaper to support rail. If that happened, there would be no Interstate Highway system. Metric tools are widely available and used. The only people who resist change support the monarchy. If we had converted 25 years ago, it would be finished right now. All we need to do is start. In fact, the car industry overestimated the cost of metricating. It was actually less and cheaper to do because the car can be replicated anywhere. We are the minority. 97% of humankind knows metric.

People don't know how to measure anymore and they won't care. When was the last time you read how many ounces a can of oatmeal contained and couldn't figure out if it was solid or liquid ounces until you looked at the metric unit? They just pick up the can of oatmeal and buy it. My generation is against the Colonial system. If decimalized currency introduced when the baby boomers were around we would go nowhere because they are too "sentimental." Wasn't it the baby boomers who resisted high-technology like computers and the internet at first? The only reason they used it was because they were forced to at work. Otherwise typewriters would still be widespread.

We will convert easily if it is swift and if it is also politically correct and popular like the "green" movement. Supporting the Colonial system would become unpatriotic. Resisters will be called Monarchists who want to restore the rule of the Monarchy of Britain in the United States of America. My generation will put its foot down on the foot and finally free America from the rule of the British Monarchy.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:

Do you have pop in a bottle?

Yes.

Better let him out, mom wants him home.

some days I just can't resist

Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 AM

536 posts, read 1,193,595 times
they will probably try to convert over to the metric system to cater to all the illegal mexicans that are taking over america, just like spanish is taking over our country

Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
they will probably try to convert over to the metric system to cater to all the illegal mexicans that are taking over america, just like spanish is taking over our country
We could say the same thing about the Gregorian Calendar. After all we have to cater to Popery in America.

Actually the plan has always been to start right around now. The mandatory 30 year injunction is now over.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Does anybody know about the December 18, 2009 (O.S.)/December 31, 2009 (N.S.) EU Directive?
The E.U. directive only applies to the U.S. but not Ireland or the U.K. The U.S. never filed an objection. I think the law will change to allow metric-only labeling during this session of Congress. The time is certainly ripe for change. The next step is to change speed limit signs to kilometers and kilometers/hour and allow only speedometers in kilometers. I feel this will make cars slightly cheaper and reduce the waste from being forced to maintain parts in both systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology