Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Because this is America son...................... That's why!

gosh.................. next you'll want to change over to the Euro and have us all eating falafle.

no really....................... cause it's so haaaaard that's why
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

SAY NO TO METRIC!!!!!!!!
I will be the first to start petitions if we go that far!!! It's bad enough no one speaks freakin English anymore - now you wanna change our entire measurement system?????!!!!!
Can anyone say NWO????????!!!!!!!!!
Dear LORD this is scary!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

SAY NO TO METRIC!!!!!!!!
I will be the first to start petitions if we go that far!!! It's bad enough no one speaks freakin English anymore - now you wanna change our entire measurement system?????!!!!!
I was just being fesicious. I don't really care either way.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Didn't we go through all these arguments in the 1970s? They teach kids metric and standard in school. I think that is good.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

SAY NO TO METRIC!!!!!!!!
I agree!

My first thought when I read "Why Aren't We Measuring Metric Yet?" is because Canada hasn't yet conquered the U.S.A.

The ONLY reason Canada went metric in the 1970's was because of some political leaders from Quebec (French Canadian) wanted to adopt it in hopes that it would increase trade (therefore benefit the economy) with Europe, probably France in particular. That was stupid because at least 80% of our trade was and still is with the U.S.A.

When we switched to metric the government spent millions tearing down signs, many of them brand new signs, just to put up metric ones.

*The funniest thing is we have still kept English units unofficially. What I mean by that is you ask a Canadian how much they weigh they'll tell you in pounds. Ask their height they'll tell you in feet and inches. Ask them how tall they are or their weight in metric and they'll be baffled, or have to look at their Driver's Licence to figure that out.

Same thing with pool sizes and building/home construction, almost always listed in feet and inches still.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-26-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 AM

33 posts, read 122,483 times
yeah i dont know why !!

i think the current system is dummy .... all the world use the metric system but the US !!

hope they change it

Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 PM

124 posts, read 374,882 times
Default wow!

now that's hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually we do not use the Imperial system--we use English measurements. The Imperial system is used by the United Kingdom and former non-metric Commonwealth nations (most use metric anyway). The difference between our system and their system is that Imperial reformed the English measures.

Some differences:
  • A British pint is more than 500 mL; the English (U.S.) Pint is less than 500 mL. (Try not to get in a brawl at the pub. )
  • Until 1959, distance measurements were different with the U.S. measures slightly longer than Imperial. A treaty resolved the differences and specified the new measures using metric units.
  • The Imperial system uses stone and the famous tonne (used erroneously as a metric tonne--the correct one: Megagram (symbol: Mg NOT mg=miiligram. Watch the caps!).
We only share the distance measurements (anything involving a ruler) since 1959 and the Fahrenheit temperature scale.

Did you know that we signed the Treaty of the Meter in 1866?

Please make some NOISE on this issue with our government officials like the immigration issue. America deserves a republican measuring system NOT a monarchist one! Show that we respect science and math. Demand a switch to metric NOW and declare our independence from Great Britain! Waiting will only make the process more complicated as technology advances. No one should stop us towards freedom from the king's foot. Don't let the king stomp his foot on us!

What if we switched to the Gregorian Calendar now INSTEAD in 1752? Don't you notice how hard it would be to replace the calendar? Britain still has a problem figuring out when taxes are due because the traditional date is in Julian. Can you imagine the mess to translate the dates in American history from Julian to Gregorian. In fact it is a rule that English events are not to be translated to Gregorian. That SUCKS!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM

124 posts, read 374,882 times
Default Why teach both systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Didn't we go through all these arguments in the 1970s? They teach kids metric and standard in school. I think that is good.
Teaching both systems is a start, but our education system already behind the the rest of the world, particularly in math and science. Why continue to waste time teaching two systems, when we could teach just one simple system? In the metric system, water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, freezes at 0 degrees. Everything is in base ten, which simplifies measurements and allows you to do more in your head. The English Unit system is very confusing. Water boils at 212 degrees, there are 5280 feet in a mile, two barrels in a hogs head... it's ridiculous.

if you want to change this go to http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Last edited by mtb83201; 04-26-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
I don't understand why people are so retrograde. There is nothing bad about water fluoridation.

I may disagree with you, but I defend your right to say it ... unless you are trying to shove the metric system down my throat!

Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse_5a View Post
yeah i dont know why !!

i think the current system is dummy .... all the world use the metric system but the US !!

hope they change it
But only Europeans want to know their own height and weight in metric.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 PM

43 posts, read 191,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
We are far overdue for going metric. That is all I have to say.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/
eresthse

theres actually a simple answer for this. americans are stuck in the stone ages. i dont mean this in an insulting ways, but americans are very resistant to change. look at a few things other than metric. in terms of religion, americans remain as religious as ever before, while many parts of europe have become atheist. gun laws. while guns may have been necesary 100yrs ago, americans have not adapted with the times at all and continue to carry guns as they did 100yrs ago.

th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology