Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

DAVIS, Calif., Oct. 27 (UPI) -- U.S. scientists say they have identified the dominant chemical naturally produced by humans that attracts some mosquitoes to people.

Mosquitoes-to-human attraction identified - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
That is neat

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Thanks for posting the article. Nonanal. That could be the butt of a number of jokes.

The article the semiochemical attracts some kinds of mosquitos, particularly carriers of the Nile virus, which could be worthwhile knowing. How to block it is another matter. It seems to imply that it might not attract other kinds of mosquitos though.

What's interesting is that there have been loads of ideas as to what might attract mossies to mammals, such as carbon dioxide, body heat, etc. It'd be great if we can find an effective way to keep all the biters at bay. Some of the lotions and sprays are helpful, such as those containing DEET. Permethrin seems to be good as a repellant on fabrics. Other methods of repelling insects are burning dry coconut husks. And of course, house lizards, bats, and spiders catch a number of them. Regardless, I still end up on the menu for the blood-thirsty insects.

There are som methods I'm not certain about. Citronella, garlic are a couple that seem questionable. There are also some types of very expensive equipment that use carbon dioxide that supposedly lures the mosquitoes to the traps, and the usual assortment of bug zappers. Bug zappers do work, but are still very limited in terms of the range of coverage.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand where mosquitoes are everywhere. Some can be carriers of extremely serious diseases such as malaria, Dengue, and Japanese Encephalitis. But there are risks from bites of the mosquitoes that don't carry diseases and only leave welts, but can cause infections just from scratching at the welts.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks for posting the article. Nonanal. That could be the butt of a number of jokes.
No kidding. I was thinking that you could put a hyphen in there and make it - 'non-anal' ???

That would mean that humans would just have to bath more. Living here in Göteborg, Sweden, and having to take the trolley everywhere because having a car is an outrageous expense, I can appreciate people need to bathe more. Most northern areas where it's not always warm tend to make folks lazy in that area for no other reason than they don't sweat alot and therefore don't need to bathe as often. But they do have a zillion arctic type mosquitos everywhere here. Taking a walk in broad daylight in any of there woods is miserable in summer.

I can see where in 3rd world nations where mosquitos are causing much of the problems, quality water for hygene would make that a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar
What's interesting is that there have been loads of ideas as to what might attract mossies to mammals, such as carbon dioxide, body heat, etc.
Now on this point here, I did watch a Discovery special on Africanized Bees and they did say that Carbon Dioxide from any mammals breath was the trigger.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I can see where in 3rd world nations where mosquitos are causing much of the problems, quality water for hygene would make that a challenge.
I can't speak for 3rd world nations, although I sure you're right. Parts of Thailand seem to be 3rd world, but other parts, especially in major urban areas, are pretty modern and comparable to any major city in Europe or North America. The high risk areas in Thailand tend to be along the borders. Still, mosquitos thrive all over no matter where you are there.

People who work in various office buildings, malls, etc., often have air conditioning available, which reduces sweating. And becoming acclimated to the tropical climate is also a factor. Even so, most Thais that I know of tend to bathe at least 3 times a day. Once in the morning, again when they get home from work, and just before going to bed. Oddly, my wife (a Thai) rarely seems to get bitten by mosquitos. On the other hand, I feel like I must have a neon sign that tells mosquitos "Delicious Foreign Food! Free Dining Here!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Now on this point here, I did watch a Discovery special on Africanized Bees and they did say that Carbon Dioxide from any mammals breath was the trigger.
I didn't know that. I thought what mostly attracted the Africanized Bees was more from vibrations like machinery, loud noises, even walking nearby the nests. Almost anything that disturbs the insect. With regard to the mozzies, I wouldn't doubt there are several factors that lead them to an unwilling blood donor, including carbon dioxide, body heat, ultraviolet light, etc.

There are some spendy CO2 gadgets that claim to be able to cover an area up to one acre. Without actually trying it out, it's pretty hard to guess how effective they really are.
Mosquito Control Device uses co2 and electricity to kill and control mosquitoes

Old 10-28-2009, 03:11 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I can't speak for 3rd world nations, although I sure you're right. Parts of Thailand seem to be 3rd world, but other parts, especially in major urban areas, are pretty modern and comparable to any major city in Europe or North America. The high risk areas in Thailand tend to be along the borders. Still, mosquitos thrive all over no matter where you are there.

People who work in various office buildings, malls, etc., often have air conditioning available, which reduces sweating. And becoming acclimated to the tropical climate is also a factor. Even so, most Thais that I know of tend to bathe at least 3 times a day. Once in the morning, again when they get home from work, and just before going to bed. Oddly, my wife (a Thai) rarely seems to get bitten by mosquitos. On the other hand, I feel like I must have a neon sign that tells mosquitos "Delicious Foreign Food! Free Dining Here!"

I didn't know that. I thought what mostly attracted the Africanized Bees was more from vibrations like machinery, loud noises, even walking nearby the nests. Almost anything that disturbs the insect. With regard to the mozzies, I wouldn't doubt there are several factors that lead them to an unwilling blood donor, including carbon dioxide, body heat, ultraviolet light, etc.

There are some spendy CO2 gadgets that claim to be able to cover an area up to one acre. Without actually trying it out, it's pretty hard to guess how effective they really are.
Mosquito Control Device uses co2 and electricity to kill and control mosquitoes
I actually heard the vibration thing as well. I imagine it may even be a combination of things. The program dealt with an experience somewhere in Arizona. They had a guy in a bee suit who riled up some European Honey Bees and then with a hand held marking meter, marked off how many yards it took before the European Honey Bee stopped pursuing him which was only about 50 yards which is nothing. He did the same with the Africanized Bees and the distance for which they stopped pursuing around a quarter mile.

I love the outdoors and have been known to get way off the beaten track. The scary thing is that if you are in the middle of nowhere and really have nowhere to run, your goose is cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology