Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I've always wondered about this myself, especially after seeing pictures of some Italian models:
*Giorgia Palmas
*Elisabetta Gregoraci
*Sabrina Ferilli
*Fracesca Lodo

(google the names to check the pictures)
Well many Northern Italians have light skin and hair compared to the Central and Southern Italians with the classic Sicilian look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Aside from the fact that what we call "races" are groups of people exhibiting similar outward characteristics and are still species Homo Sapiens, there are evidences of mixtures since man wandered away from the African continent. I understood that Norsemen ventured into central Asia and there is genetic evidence in ancient burials in Mongolia.

Powered by Google Docs

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
The Roman and Chinese empires knew about each other. This isn't very surprising. We have a habit of underestimating ancient humans but they were just as smart and ambitious as us, maybe more so.

The First Contact Between Rome and China

Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Aside from the fact that what we call "races" are groups of people exhibiting similar outward characteristics and are still species Homo Sapiens, there are evidences of mixtures since man wandered away from the African continent. I understood that Norsemen ventured into central Asia and there is genetic evidence in ancient burials in Mongolia.

Powered by Google Docs
I know that they founded Novgorod in western Russia but that's the first i've heard about them possibly being as far east in Mongolia (you should have posted this in the history forums ).

What's also interesting is that the western European Caucasian haplogroup R1b is also found in parts of sub Africa today i.e. Sudan, Egypt and even up to 35% of all people in Chad carry this Y-Chromosome.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
This is an update of post #8. I was in a hurry last time:

Giorgia Palmas

Elisabetta Gregoraci
http://www.elisabettagregoraci.org/i...ci-Picture.jpg (broken link)

Sabrina Ferilli

Francesca Lodo

Daniela Pedali
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,553 times
I grew up in southeast Asia and I was surprised at how many native Spaniards and Italians could pass easily as native SE Asians.

A lot of Americans think that the old world is easily divided into mongoloid, caucasoid, negroid. But the reality is much more complicated than that. People who have been to or lived in the old world outside of northern Europe, western Africa, and east Asia knows this (see the note about Blumenbach below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yes most Filipinos are Mongoloids, but there are a lot of Filipinos that don't look Mongoloid at all

[In the original post you could see pictures Smtchll posted where you could see what s/he meant]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
The population of large swaths of areas of the world wouldn't fit into the category of mongoloid nor negroid nor caucasoid. These include Southeast, South, Central Asia, a large part of West Asia, northern Africa, Madagascar and Oceania.
In fact, it's often crisscross. The pics from Smtchll show it pretty well (lovely pics btw ). A lot of people on the Philippines and Indonesia look negroid, many native sub-saharan Africans look mongoloid, a lot of natives of Oman and Saudi look negroid, whilst many Ethiopians look like black caucasoid..
For the most part, they're neither mong, nor negr, nor cauc. Some consider them as a mix, others include them as part of another racial group. Neither one being completely wrong.
That's why there's been so many different racial classifications.
For example Blumenbach, the man who made popular the idea of racial classification based on comparative anatomy, introduced five races.
If it were for me, I'd include an Austronesian race (similar to Blumenbach's Malayan race) .

Quote:
Here's a nice video of southeast Asian children.

If you lump them together, they look pretty homogeneous. But if you look at the individuals, at their nose and/or eyes and/or hair and/or skin, a lot of them don't fit into either negr nor cauc nor mong, and if you go to those countries yourself, you'll see even more variations.
Nose form varies from negroid (called pésék) to caucasoid (called mancung).
Eyes vary from mongoloid (called sipit) to ???.
Hair texture from kinky (negroid) to straight (???).
Skin color from dark (negroid) to light (???).
Lips vary from thick (negroid) to thin (???).
Etc.

You may consider them as:
-a mix of negroid and/or caucasoid and/or negroid and/or any additional race (australoid, capoid, dravidian, pacific, etc.)
-a whole 'nother race altogether
-a part of one human race

Choose your pick.
Quote:
Another great video where you can see how southeast Asians look like.

Quote:
SE Asians

He** Obama could pass easily for an ordinary Indonesian if it wasn't for his height!

In this video (about Obama) you could also see how SE Asians look like. The last guy interviewed has mongoloid eyes and negroid hair.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology