Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

"These preliminary isotopic and mtDNA data provide tantalizing evidence that some of the people who lived and died at Vagnari were foreigners, and that they may have come to Vagnari from beyond the borders of the Roman Empire," says Prowse. "This research addresses broader issues relating to globalization, human mobility, identity, and diversity in Roman Italy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
I read a while back about the ''Irish Tribes'' of Western China and so maybe there was trade and travel because of the Spice Trade amongst China/India and Europe 2,000 years ago.

Celtic looking Western Chinese photo's

Schoolgirls - Xinjiang, China on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonnarramore/774568688/in/set-72057594139866858 - broken link)

Tajik Family - Xinjiang, China on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonnarramore/1722887710/ - broken link)

Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I read a while back about the ''Irish Tribes'' of Western China and so maybe there was trade and travel because of the Spice Trade amongst China/India and Europe 2,000 years ago.

Schoolgirls - Xinjiang, China on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonnarramore/774568688/in/set-72057594139866858 - broken link)

Tajik Family - Xinjiang, China on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonnarramore/1722887710/ - broken link)

Hmm. About the people in the photos, Hong Kong was a colony of Great Britain for quite a while. That might be one possible explanation of the features shown in the photos. I've seen similar people in Thailand that you'd never guess are Thai by looking at them, but whose parents or grandparents were of different races. Although Marco Polo's travels along the Silk Road is famed in the history books, the trade route between East and West had been in use well before Polo's time. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that western cultures like the Romans, Portuguese and others, may well have traveled to China and other parts of East Asia before, or at least after Polo. There no reason why some westerners couldn't have brought back brides or slaves from Asia to Italy.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Hmm. About the people in the photos, Hong Kong was a colony of Great Britain for quite a while. That might be one possible explanation of the features shown in the photos. I've seen similar people in Thailand that you'd never guess are Thai by looking at them, but whose parents or grandparents were of different races. Although Marco Polo's travels along the Silk Road is famed in the history books, the trade route between East and West had been in use well before Polo's time. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that western cultures like the Romans, Portuguese and others, may well have traveled to China and other parts of East Asia before, or at least after Polo. There no reason why some westerners couldn't have brought back brides or slaves from Asia to Italy.
Well Hong Kong is in the far southeast and these were taken in the far northwestern province Qinghai (xingjiang) although they would need to do a Y- Chromosome haplotype test to see if they carry the Celt DNA (R1b).

Yeap you're right about trade with the east before Marco Polo as i remember reading the the Egyptians before the Ptolemy dynasty's (300 b.c.) traded with the Chinese etc. going back for thousands of years.

That's interesting about the caucasian looking Thai's as i never knew that.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken those girls are Uighurs, the Muslim minority that lives in China's Western Xinjiang province. These people are known for their Turkic ethnicity, not Celtic. Of course many Turks are quite fair as well. And the second photo, as titled shows Tajiks, which apparently are of Persian descent. I had to look this up though, as there are barely any of them in China (only a few tens of thousands) unlike the Uyghurs which number in the millions.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
If I'm not mistaken those girls are Uighurs, the Muslim minority that lives in China's Western Xinjiang province. These people are known for their Turkic ethnicity, not Celtic. Of course many Turks are quite fair as well. And the second photo, as titled shows Tajiks, which apparently are of Persian descent. I had to look this up though, as there are barely any of them in China (only a few tens of thousands) unlike the Uyghurs which number in the millions.
I didn't know about the Uighurs as i wonder if they are Aryans from the Caucus region. We know that the Gauls (Celts) were as far east as in today's country Turkey as back then it was called Galatia as their chieftain Brennus made his way there after conquering Rome around 400 b.c.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM

It appears the origins of Uyghur people is probably due to nomadic tribes that settled in the area which had previously been occupied by the Dingling (Dinglings?) of Siberia which were ultimately assimilated by other settling cultures (notably from various parts of Asia Minor) over the course of time. The Uyghurs were highly developed metalsmiths with skills seen as valuable to outside cultures for the development of weapons. There was a lot of iron in the area.

At one point in their early history, the nomadic Uyghurs challenged the Chinese Empire, only to resettle to the Tarim Basin and merged with the Tocharian population. In a nutshell, the Uyghurs we see today resulted by the assimilation of several tribes as well as major cultures. Although the province is claimed by China, the Uyghur people themselves are not Oriental, which explains why they appear to be so different than the majority of people in China.
Uyghur people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Celts certainly occupied a huge area of Central and Southern Europe, and a bit of Asia Minor, which goes back to at least 600 BCE. In one way or another, the influence of the Celts, either directly or indirectly, probably had some contribution in the history of the Uyghur people. By "indirectly", I mean by assimilation through various incoming cultures of Celtic origins. Since the region is along the well-traveled Silk Road, it's pretty easy to see how travelers would be greatly interested in the Uyghurs, especially because of their highly prized skills as metalsmiths.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
I've always wondered about this myself, especially after seeing pictures of some Italian models:
*Giorgia Palmas
*Elisabetta Gregoraci
*Sabrina Ferilli
*Fracesca Lodo

(google the names to check the pictures)

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That's interesting about the caucasian looking Thai's as i never knew that.

Thais who are half Thai and half of another race are usually called "luk krueng". Most do indeed show the dominate features of the Thai people, but also some features of the non-Thai parent. That is, you can't really tell they are mixed race. However, the dominate features of some luk krueng Thais can be more of the non-Thai parent. In some cases it can be very difficult to tell they are Thai just by a casual glance at them. Both of these ladies are Thai celebrities that have one parent who is Thai and the other parent who is caucasian.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2447/aliciaq.jpg (broken link)

Several more, with photos, including names you'd recognize can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_khrueng

Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It appears the origins of Uyghur people is probably due to nomadic tribes that settled in the area which had previously been occupied by the Dingling (Dinglings?) of Siberia which were ultimately assimilated by other settling cultures (notably from various parts of Asia Minor) over the course of time. The Uyghurs were highly developed metalsmiths with skills seen as valuable to outside cultures for the development of weapons. There was a lot of iron in the area.

At one point in their early history, the nomadic Uyghurs challenged the Chinese Empire, only to resettle to the Tarim Basin and merged with the Tocharian population. In a nutshell, the Uyghurs we see today resulted by the assimilation of several tribes as well as major cultures. Although the province is claimed by China, the Uyghur people themselves are not Oriental, which explains why they appear to be so different than the majority of people in China.
Uyghur people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Celts certainly occupied a huge area of Central and Southern Europe, and a bit of Asia Minor, which goes back to at least 600 BCE. In one way or another, the influence of the Celts, either directly or indirectly, probably had some contribution in the history of the Uyghur people. By "indirectly", I mean by assimilation through various incoming cultures of Celtic origins. Since the region is along the well-traveled Silk Road, it's pretty easy to see how travelers would be greatly interested in the Uyghurs, especially because of their highly prized skills as metalsmiths.
I had to go back and research this a bit and i should have realised that most of the ''caucasian'' peoples originated in the Kashmir region of India and Pakistan some 26,000 years ago as they simultaneously evolved to carry the R haplotype from the P haplotype (south Asian) and so when the glaciers started to recede they then slowly over thousands of years ventured north (Russia) and west (Asia Minor) in which their R1 mutated to R1a and finially when they arrived in Eastern/Central Europe it mutated again to R1B.

Interesting in that the Western Europe haplotype R1b is also found in Sub-Sahara Africa amongst many dark skin peoples and so i'm thinking that some R1b Caucasians either migrated back into Africa some 15,000 years ago or when the Neolithic Celts started to venture south and possibly crossed the Mediterranean Sea some 7,000 years ago intermingled with the people of North Africa back then.

That's just my theory about it.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-06-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology