Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Hmm ... are you talking about the wave raising up the bow of the ship in a direct frontal hit and then dropping in back down into the water to break the keel in half? Anyway when he saw the target on his radar moving at 60 knots he should have immediately turned the ship ''hard'' right since he was already at Full Speed as the ship turns faster going at Full Speed as he may have had enough time to get it turned around as to try to put the wave behind the ship although i realise that we are debating a hollywood movie as they usually have nothing in common with reality .

Just for you PITTS as just skip to the 1:35 mark as that's where they see the tidal wave in this classic film

YouTube - S.S Poseidon Capsizing
Exactly...literally riding out the wave and yes...the possibility of the ship being out of the water, in the wave trough and the keel cracking; however I doubt a Navy warship would sustain such catastrophic damage. I'm sure they have been hit by rogue waves before; though the public would NOT be informed.

I saw the flick in the theatres and on TV...A rogue wave at that speed and angle would be nearly impossible to avoid...IMHO.

I have some additional information on anti-submarine missiles...I'll post it a bit later...I'm getting beeped in Facebook...LOL...PITTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Great links and info PITTS and yep i really like Das Boot . I also like the movie ''The Final Countdown'' as the USS Nimitz with all it's F-14 Tomcats goes back into time on dec 6, 1941 the day before the japanese attacked Pearl Harbor as the CO had to decide whether to attack the japanese armada to defend america or not interfere with history.

Go Navy !!!

YouTube - The Final Countdown - Movie Trailer (1980)

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM

I LOVE DAS BOOT...one of the BEST movies I have ever seen. Wasn't thrilled with THE FINAL COUNTDOWN; but I liked the concept of it!

Makes you think, how just ONE modern(weapon's system) such as a MIRVED Intercontinental Ballistic Nuclear Missile carries MORE firepower than every bomb dropped in WWII put TOGETHER!

Das Boot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LGM-30 Minuteman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_(missile)

Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I just checked and i see that we still use the Ohio Class SSBN subs as they must be some kickbutt subs to not have advanced to another class by now. I remember one of my friends was stationed aboard one and he told me back then that if a nuclear war ever happend then only the submariners would survive however they'd eventually starve to death or die of thirst as everything would be contaminated as where would they go to??
Ohio class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Side note: Ii have to wonder if the FBI can't control these tea party groups will our powerful military then go after them? Hmm ...??

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 03-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Edit - 6/3

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I just checked and i see that we still use the Ohio Class SSBN subs as they must be some kickbutt subs to not have advanced to another class by now. I remember one of my friends was stationed aboard one and he told me back then that if a nuclear war ever happend then only the submariners would survive however they'd eventually starve to death or die of thirst as everything would be contaminated as where would they go to??
Ohio class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Side note: Ii have to wonder if the FBI can't control these tea party groups will our powerful military then go after them? Hmm ...??
LOL...about tea party...don't folks have something better and more constructive to do; I guess they are determined to watch our nation slide into second tier status, with ONLY our military keeping us in the "game"......as we follow the same pattern as when the Roman Empire fell.

I love the Ohio class submarines..I am pretty sure that just one equals or exceeds all the firepower of WWII put together...scary stuff but impressive. Were you aware that many "boats"(I think 4) of this class have been converted to carry Tomahawk cruise land/sea attack missiles. They are installed in a modular/vertical pack fashion. Thanx for the link; I'll try and provide some links for the converted subs.

Cruise missile submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vertical launching system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wapedia - Wiki: Submarines in the United States Navy

Wapedia - Wiki: Cruise missile

Wapedia - Wiki: Ohio class submarine

VLS Wiki

On a side note....are you familar with the Soviet Union's Typhoon Class of submarines???? And they are larger than our Ohio Class subs.
Typhoon class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wapedia - Wiki: Typhoon class submarine

The Typhoon Class Submarine

Hope you enjoy the links. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology