U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 21,527,300 times

Advertisements

My overall favorite would be the ORIGINAL ANDROMEDA STRAIN. I found it absolutely fascinating and profound. I was fairly young then; but it intrigued me, as I tried to figure out what this new life form was. How it processed and/or gained energy and how it reproduced. Life has been theorized to be capable of being based on Silicon and also Crystalline structures; finding the mystery of the film, finally revealing that it was the latter, really got me to think.

Though NOT the best acting or special effects, it was fascinating to follow the Scientific Method throughout the film, as we witnessed various experiments; until we could rule out invalid scenarios of replication and energy synthesis. Since crystals can grow and compartmentalize chemicals, it was an elegant postulation/solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain_(film)

Hypothetical types of biochemistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crystalline Entity - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

YouTube - The Andromeda Strain (1971) Part 1

YouTube - The Andromeda Strain (1971) Part 2

YouTube - The Andromeda Strain (1971) Part 3

YouTube - The Andromeda Strain (1971) Part 4

THE REST OF THE FILM IS AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE>>>>

HONORABLE mention goes to STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, with it's thought provoking analysis of what GOD really is, relative to different species.

Also for the theory of machines attaining sentience and the sheer magnitude and power of V'GER. Sending a living machine from a planet of living machines, to seek out GOD; another machine, since each species creates their GOD(S) in their own image, was sheer genius and humbling both at the same time. The sheer knowledge base and abilities of V'GER, actually made "it" a GOD in it's own right.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

YouTube - Star Trek - The Motion Picture - Trailer

SO what Science Fiction Film piqued your scientific thought processes????? .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 17,645,661 times
2 of my favs, based on science:

Close Encounters of the 3rd kind
The Fly

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM

21,786 posts, read 64,786,913 times
The original Andromeda Strain was so much better than the new version that I can't even watch the newer version. Star Trek Veeger was interesting too. I used to have the HUGE lobby display from that, but something that large inevitably gets damaged. Anyway...

The middle section of 2001, Space Odyssey is real close on science. If you skip the robot, Fritz Lang's Metropolis has a pretty solid foundation. Mosquito Coast is technically sci-fi and was based in science.

What your post reminded me of though is that there was a total dearth of believable sci-fi movies for great blocks of time. After the original Metropolis, War of the Worlds, Shape of Things to Come, the only sci-fi around was low budget or shlock until 2001 Space Odyssey. After that there was nothing until Star Wars.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM

13,136 posts, read 39,178,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

That was the first movie that came to my mind also

Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 AM

8,342 posts, read 24,261,781 times
I saw the Andromeda Strain in 7th grade years ago. The teacher who held the viewing claimed that the movie was based on an actual NASA mission to have satellites collide with meteors to analyze the dust for microscopic 'space' organisms.

I'd say 2001 and for sure. Although there were aspects of the film that were designed to look ultra-modern (hey, it was the 60s), most of the design seems plausible in real life. There are no fancy holograms, teleporters, 'futuristic' weapons, etc. And HAL was rather simple, too. I bet that if a computer where ever to take control of a spacecraft, it would do with a pleasant tone. Not to mention the whole concept of being spiritual without being religious.

Moon. It seems plausible that if there were ever to be a mining operation on the Moon, it would be a lonely affair. It would make sense to use clones.

Jurassic Park. Not really science fiction, but this movie just plays into the mad scientist in me. A real 'Jurassic Park' is not that far off, and the possibility of growing pre-historic animals from preserved DNA is a lot closer to happening than any manned space mission further than the moon.

Avatar. I can't live in this 'world' and I am sooo depressed that I do not live on Pandora that I just can't take it anymore! Where is my support group?! Just kidding. Avatar, what a total P.O.S.!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,446,326 times
I enjoyed Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man. I could see that as a future.

YouTube - Bicentennial Man

Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 PM

17,593 posts, read 23,508,453 times
StarGate offers an explanation for Earth and it's History that is as good as any I've heard

Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
2 of my favs, based on science:

The Fly
I agree with CLOSE ENCOUNTERS...literally a city traveling in space as well curiousity driving species forward in science/technology and societal issues.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The original Andromeda Strain was so much better than the new version that I can't even watch the newer version. Star Trek Veeger was interesting too. I used to have the HUGE lobby display from that, but something that large inevitably gets damaged. Anyway...

The middle section of 2001, Space Odyssey is real close on science. If you skip the robot, Fritz Lang's Metropolis has a pretty solid foundation. Mosquito Coast is technically sci-fi and was based in science.

What your post reminded me of though is that there was a total dearth of believable sci-fi movies for great blocks of time. After the original Metropolis, War of the Worlds, Shape of Things to Come, the only sci-fi around was low budget or shlock until 2001 Space Odyssey. After that there was nothing until Star Wars.
Definitely THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN is near the top. METROPOLIS; WAR OF THE WORLDS; SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME; 2001 and 2010 are also good candidates.

MOSQUITO COAST is new to me; I have remembered a few more to add but I'll wait to post them later as the THREAD progresses.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
That was the first movie that came to my mind also
I am kinda surprised posters are mentioning Close Encounters so much, so far, although I enjoyed the movie myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology