Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times

Advertisements

Kinda cool article off of Discover magazine about 20 different things that many probably never knew about when it comes to viruses.

For example :
#5 Some viruses have a sex appendage, a long tube known as a pilus.
#13 Some viruses can infect other viruses.
#20 All humans possibly descended from viral DNA billions of years ago

20 Things You Didn't Know About... Viruses - DISCOVER Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
I started reading this thinking it was about computer viruses (virii)!
#5 seemed even funnier...

Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yeap especially if #5 was in reference to a computer virus

Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeap especially if #5 was in reference to a computer virus
Well, then talk about getting 'screwed' in both sense of the word, huh?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM

In all seriousness ... i've read before in books/magazines about how our DNA is part viral and yet is turned off from expressing which does make you wonder just what we were some millions or billions of years back ??

Also how about our Mitochondria's that are in every cell in our body as they give us ATP for energy as without them we'd be dead and yet again they are not originally part of us as sometrime when the earth became aerobic (with oxygen) from it's anaerobic state (without oxygen) they infected us so we could use oxygen in our cell life cycle (citric acid and respiration etc).

Cool stuff to ponder

Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

I had to look up virii just out of curiosity.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
In all seriousness ... i've read before in books/magazines about how our DNA is part viral and yet is turned off from expressing which does make you wonder just what we were some millions or billions of years back ??

Also how about our Mitochondria's that are in every cell in our body as they give us ATP for energy as without them we'd be dead and yet again they are not originally part of us as sometrime when the earth became aerobic (with oxygen) from it's anaerobic state (without oxygen) they infected us so we could use oxygen in our cell life cycle (citric acid and respiration etc).

Cool stuff to ponder
Yes, human evolution is nothing more than an extremely slow mutation caused by ongoing infections.

I am sure you also heard about how a typical human already has the cancer genes too but they are dormant as well.

One day you find out you got cancer because you smoked for decades and thought you were cool like the Marlboro Man or till you go through a miserable divorce or some crazy stressful event like that which may activate one or two of those dormant cancer cells.

Human body is ridden with all sorts of bad bacterias and diseases. Because of all this crazy stuff, it is like a time bomb waiting to blow up. The cleaner environment we started creating for ourselves the weaker our immune system must have become 'cause look at all these insane number of new disease we are getting infected with!

I don't know any of these for fact, just passing on what I read/heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I had to look up virii just out of curiosity.
Now why would you go do such a thing?!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
"Yes, human evolution is nothing more than an extremely slow mutation caused by ongoing infections."

That explains Wall Street, bankers, and Congress. Obviously, those are inferior to Raquel Welch and a few others, who might have much more tolerable ongoing infections...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology