Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

The following article and slide show from Scientific American magazine, give the current status of energy weapons being developed by the United States for near term deployment.

Ray Guns Near Crossroads to the Battlefield [Slide Show]: Scientific American

Ray Guns Near Crossroads to the Battlefield [Slide Show]: Scientific American

Ray Guns Near Crossroads to the Battlefield [Slide Show]: Scientific American Slideshows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...s-of-the-laser

YouTube - Future Weapons: Airborne Laser

YouTube - Laser Weapons

YouTube - High Energy Laser Attack

YouTube - Future Weapons Airborne Laser

YouTube - MTHEL (THEL) - Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 05-17-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Yeap good posting PITTS as i constantly hear about the DOD laser testing out here at White Sands Missle Range in southern New Mexico on the local news etc. as it's just a matter of time before this stuff is the norm

Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeap good posting PITTS as i constantly hear about the DOD laser testing out here at White Sands Missle Range in southern New Mexico on the local news etc. as it's just a matter of time before this stuff is the norm
Thanx 6'3".....Let me know if you get any "inside" information???....Laser weaponry will be widespread soon(theoritically infinite magazine); but scientists still need to pack a bigger energy source in a smaller volume of space. However, we won't be seeing Captain Kirk's phaser anytime soon...LOL... .

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I cant wait until laser guns get in the hands of the criminal public!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I cant wait until laser guns get in the hands of the criminal public!
Me either... Thanx for the nominal intellectual contribution ...Here I was going to sell some out on the streets...you'll only need a power source the size of a tractor trailer to fire one; so every criminal can hide the weapon in their pocket...ROFLMAO!!!!! The Scientifically challenged, lack of knowledge of some posts, never ceases to amaze me!!!....LOL....

Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thanx 6'3".....Let me know if you get any "inside" information???....Laser weaponry will be widespread soon(theoritically infinite magazine); but scientists still need to pack a bigger energy source in a smaller volume of space. However, we won't be seeing Captain Kirk's phaser anytime soon...LOL... .
Well it's classified as to what they tell us however they will at times post a story in the local paper about an aircraft or satellite laser beam shooting down a missle flying across the sky that they launched out there at White Sands as it's a large missle base at 100 miles long and about 50 miles wide.

By the way the new F-22 Raptors out here at Holloman AFB are just bad to the bone especially the occasional ''Sonic Boom'' that feels like an earthquake

Go US Navy !!!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Me either... Thanx for the nominal intellectual contribution ...Here I was going to sell some out on the streets...you'll only need a power source the size of a tractor trailer to fire one; so every criminal can hide the weapon in their pocket...ROFLMAO!!!!! The Scientifically challenged, lack of knowledge of some posts, never ceases to amaze me!!!....LOL....
no problemo

Old 07-05-2010, 02:33 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Well, this baby comes pretty close. It should be illegal, but can be had for $200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Sdu...ayer_embedded#!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Well, this baby comes pretty close. It should be illegal, but can be had for $200.

YouTube - Wicked Lasers S3 Arctic Spyder III
Well, not "in my book"; however it looks like a handy demonstration laser for Physic's class. Unfortunately it may be powerful enough to cause permanent blindness. But hardly a useful directed energy/tactical weapon.. I activated the embedded video for all posters to easily access.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerali View Post
Hi,
It's really nice to have. The US is far from the only country seeking to develop or use laser weapons. Earlier this year the Canadian military drew harsh criticism over a $10 million laser weapon acquisition project. Those laser weapons are portable lasers that are designed to "temporary blind" people at 50 to 500 meters. This purchase is controversial because it is seen as violating the 1995 ban. This project is presently awaiting approval from Defence Minister Peter MacKa.Thanks.
I'm sure there are many other nations developing directed energy weaponry such as other NATO countries, Russia and China etc. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology