Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

Off my list for the most part, anyway......as they're now doing the same thing the others are doing with what I call the "MTV approach" eg changing the picture on the screen every other second, whizzing things on and off the screen at breakneck speed, getting "in your face," and otherwise acting like everyone watching has a severe case of ADD. Annoying is far too kind a word. Would it cause ratings to plummet if they showed things in a calm, sane, documentary kinda way? sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Off my list for the most part, anyway......as they're now doing the same thing the others are doing with what I call the "MTV approach" eg changing the picture on the screen every other second, whizzing things on and off the screen at breakneck speed, getting "in your face," and otherwise acting like everyone watching has a severe case of ADD. Annoying is far too kind a word. Would it cause ratings to plummet if they showed things in a calm, sane, documentary kinda way? sigh
I agree and a good description with the similarities with MTV. It's no biggie for me anymore as i got rid of my cable tv and saved 50.00 dollars a month several years ago as the internet gives me free movies, tv shows, national and local news and weather broadcasts, internet radio stations, game sites etc.. etc.. as i'll never pay for that crap (cable) again as i see cable's demise some five years to ten from now

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
It's crazy. SyFy features "professional wrasslin'." The Learning Channel has become more of a side show feature. History has become the "End of the World / Armageddon" channel which also features commercial loggers and extreme fishing. Didn't Discovery get a logging show too? Music TV has no more music, etc, etc...

As for Nat Geo, it is owned by and programed by Fox. That's why you see all the prison and gang shows

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
What I find to be rather disturbing is that so many of the science-related channels are featuring UFO/Alien programs, as well paranormal programs. The History Channel is loaded with various UFO/Alien/Ancient Astronaut programs, Nostrodamus Doomsday Prophecies, the Da Vinci Code, etc. Even the Travel Channel (of all things) has its versions of ghost hunting programs.

I have a hunch that the new movie, "Splice," might set off a surge of discussions and programs.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Would it cause ratings to plummet if they showed things in a calm, sane, documentary kinda way? sigh
The generation who was born with MTV is becoming the most-desired demographic for advertisers. Their attention span is shorter than that of the folks older than they are. Programs that interest them have to be fast-paced and snappy. Plus those people are old enough to be producing these shows and the producers' tastes are reflected in the production style.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The generation who was born with MTV is becoming the most-desired demographic for advertisers. Their attention span is shorter than that of the folks older than they are. Programs that interest them have to be fast-paced and snappy. Plus those people are old enough to be producing these shows and the producers' tastes are reflected in the production style.

Now there's a mouth full of truth!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Huh? What?

Good replies. Thx nice to know I'm not the only one who gets it.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The defect in these show is the nature of the medium itself. They are on TV. Which is a visual medium. So, of course, absolutely nothing gets a mention unless there is a picture go to with it. Lost is the concept that the informational value of an idea is the criterion by which it is judged to be airworthy. It's easier (and therefore cheaper) to get footage of pawn shops, than to get footage of the Crimean War.

I think there must be a studio, somewhere, which specializes in hokey stock footage of reconstructed historical events in costume. A four-second clip of an actor dressed like Galileo reading a book, or Columbus looking at the horizon, or a cave man pondering fire.

There was a discussion similar to this, on the History board a few months ago.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Luckily, there's still the Military Channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology