Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,101,024 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing this is a modified rail gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,447,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Good stuff there man! For decades Americans were brainwashed to be afraid of Russia, then Vietnam, then China, etc. Former CIA agents later acknowledged that they knew Russia was nowhere capable of what Americans were led to believed.

But the military industrial complex itself creates a lot of jobs, so people who work there will always speak for their military industrial complex employer.
I am no fan of the military industrial complex....Roosevelt warned us of this scenario DECADES ago; this is hardly news to anyone over 30 years of age.

However the USA is not as far ahead as you assume....IF you had read earlier in the thread...the former USSR had and still has a formidable lead on thrust vectoring technology; they developed the technology...to name just one of their capabilities...this makes their fighter jets FAR more manueverable than ours and their military jets still maintain this technological lead relative to any other country.

Remember brainwashing works both ways...as in assuming we are all powerful and in a military/technological class that is unrivaled. As Ashville stated...look what happened to our forces in Vietnam and Iraq.....let me add North Korea.....technology is not the only factor in winning a conflict but possibly the most important. If our military was allowed to "win" the three mentioned wars they could have done so; it was political hand tying that prevented our victory.

Here is the thrust vectoring link as most lay people don't have a clue to what it is....LOL..just ask the lay person...How do airplanes fly??? You'll be astounded by their outlandish and uninformed replies.....

Thrust vectoring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Sukhoi Su-34 NATO Code: Fullback

YouTube - Sukhoi Su 34 "Fullback"

YouTube - SU-35 - PAK FA Prototype

YouTube - The Russian MiG-35

YouTube - Su-47

In my assessment these aircraft are more than a match for any U.S. or NATO fighter jets.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'm guessing this is a modified rail gun?
It is essentially the same technology but more aptly displayed in electromagnetic train levitation with linear induction motors as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Shanghai Maglev Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,157,334 times
I've ridden that train from Pudong to Shanghai. It's interesting in that you have no sense of how fast you are going until it gets near a highway and you see your speed compared to cars going in same direction.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 PM

You are so lucky.....I'm jealous...LOL....Is the ride as smooth as it is purported to be??? Do you notice the acceleration to cruising speed and/or the deceleration before reaching your destination???

It is amazing how far ahead Europe and especially China are in this technology, relative to the United States.....LOL....we can barely keep Acela running at 90 miles/hour and only over very short distances.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Good stuff there man! For decades Americans were brainwashed to be afraid of Russia, then Vietnam, then China, etc. Former CIA agents later acknowledged that they knew Russia was nowhere capable of what Americans were led to believed.

But the military industrial complex itself creates a lot of jobs, so people who work there will always speak for their military industrial complex employer.
Remember that brainwashing is a 2 way street...like assuming that the United States is invinceable! Russia and China are both far ahead of the United States in various technologies as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, along with the links and videos to back up those claims.

Russia still has more than enough nuclear warheads to wipe out the surface of our world as far as life is concerned, many times over....Isn't once enough or all it takes?????

Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM

44,961 posts, read 59,942,524 times
Time for this:

YouTube - F-18 Launch from USS Stennis

URRAAAAHHH!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,428,564 times
I never got tired of watching flight ops when I was on a carrier.

I've seen F4 Phantoms go vertical and climb straight up after clearing the cats when Russian aircraft (Russian Bear Bombers) were flying over our position.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I never got tired of watching flight ops when I was on a carrier.

I've seen F4 Phantoms go vertical and climb straight up after clearing the cats when Russian aircraft (Russian Bear Bombers) were flying over our position.
If I remember correctly....the Bear Bombers are 4 engine, long distance counter rotating turboprops.....is this correct.....they are slow but dependable. I do believe they are being phased out in favor of the Soviet Blackjack jet engine Intercontinental Bombers.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Time for this:

YouTube - F-18 Launch from USS Stennis Here ya go>>>>>

URRAAAAHHH!!!
I can top that>>>>>LOL>>>>>

YouTube - F-22 Raptor In Action!! ((U.S AIR FORCE))

YouTube - F-22 RAPTOR FLIP

YouTube - Lockheed Martin F35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

YouTube - The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

YouTube - B-2 Stealth Bomber - Full Program

YouTube - F-117 Nighthawk - Video Documentary "Part 1"

YouTube - F-117 Nighthawk - Video Documentary "Part 2"

YouTube - F-117 Nighthawk - Video Documentary "Part 3" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology