Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

The United States Navy has finished designing it's next generation of aircraft carriers which will replace the current Nimitz class series. These(X-class) carriers, three of which are currently planned, will be called the Ford Class Carriers. Construction on the first ship in the series was begun in 2007 and is scheduled for completion in 2015.

This class features 14 new design features; foremost of which is electromagnetic aircraft launching systems, which will replace the current steam catapult launching system. Also advanced arresting gear to assist in aircraft landings, a redesigned nuclear reactor, stealthier features and improved self defense as well as other advancements. It's designation will be CVN 78.

Here are related links>>>>>

Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:CVN-78 Artist Image.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:CVN-78 aircraft carrier conceptual cutaway view.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Gerald R. Ford Supercarrier

YouTube - Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) Keel Laying Ceremony

Nimitz class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arresting gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RIM-162 ESSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AN/SPY-3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stealth technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford_(CVN-78)

CVN-79 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CVN-80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Boy! The conning tower is way smaller than on other carriers on these new babies!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Spent several years of my life on a carrier, what a difference, but I suspect many things will be the same. I've watched the shows where a film crew went on the first round the world crews on the Reagan CVN 76. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for women's rights, equal pay, etc, but it sure as hell complicated life and discipline on a carrier.

They are huge, but living quarters are squeezed into a very small portion of the ship, and the women and romance an tail chasing has to be a real determent to the job they were sent to do, and headaches for the command structure.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Spent several years of my life on a carrier, what a difference, but I suspect many things will be the same. I've watched the shows where a film crew went on the first round the world crews on the Reagan CVN 76. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for women's rights, equal pay, etc, but it sure as hell complicated life and discipline on a carrier.

They are huge, but living quarters are squeezed into a very small portion of the ship, and the women and romance an tail chasing has to be a real determent to the job they were sent to do, and headaches for the command structure.
Men will be men and women will be women. Those ship in all their might can't suppress hormones.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy! The conning tower is way smaller than on other carriers on these new babies!
I noticed that too.....definitely sleeker and stealthier design in the tower and as far as defensive weaponry being visible....also seems a heavier tonnage if I read the specifications correctly?

New radar...awesome planes and unmanned drones too. Apparently with the new electromagnetic launching systems along with new arresting/landing features....there is much less wear and tear on the carrier's aircraft.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The United States Navy has finished designing it's next generation of aircraft carriers which will replace the current Nimitz class series. These(X-class) carriers, three of which are currently planned, will be called the Ford Class Carriers. Construction on the first ship in the series was begun in 2007 and is scheduled for completion in 2015.

This class features 14 new design features; foremost of which is electromagnetic aircraft launching systems, which will replace the current steam catapult launching system. Also advanced arresting gear to assist in aircraft landings, a redesigned nuclear reactor, stealthier features and improved self defense as well as other advancements. It's designation will be CVN 78.
C
I'm surprised it's taken them this long to replace the steam catapults as we were phasing out the Adams Class steam turbine propulsions and replaced them with Spruance Class Gas Turbines some twenty five years ago back in the 80's

Who can forget the movie ''The Final Countdown'' made back in the 1980's when the USS Nimitz was sent back in time by a time warp storm to dec 6, 1941 and had to make a choice whether to attack the entire japanese attack force that was going to bomb Pearl Harbor dec 7, 1941 or stay out and not change history

Like our motto states ''Once a squid always a squid''.

Go Navy

Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I was never in the military but I have had many friends who were. I really don't see a problem with sexuality in the military. These people.....as well as yourself....are well trained professionals. There is a time and a place for such matters and I trust our personnel to know when that time and place should be and for relationships to not interfere with the efficient operations of any Naval warship. Including CVN 78 .

Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Men will be men and women will be women. Those ship in all their might can't suppress hormones.
Men and women have been suppressing their hormones for years; otherwise we'd never get any work done!.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Who can forget the movie ''The Final Countdown'' made back in the 1980's when the USS Nimitz was sent back in time by a time warp storm to dec 6, 1941 and had to make a choice whether to attack the entire japanese attack force that was going to bomb Pearl Harbor dec 7, 1941 or stay out and not change history

Like our motto states ''Once a squid always a squid''.

Go Navy
That was a great flic, as it was one of the first that you really got a sense of what it was like on a ship underway and at flight ops, all the sights, and the sounds. The only thing missing was the smell.

I had been aboard ship a month before we went to sea, and was walking through the hanger deck to the aft mess decks for lunch when I heard the arresting gear for the first time, scared the hell out of me.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
That was a great flic, as it was one of the first that you really got a sense of what it was like on a ship underway and at flight ops, all the sights, and the sounds. The only thing missing was the smell.

I had been aboard ship a month before we went to sea, and was walking through the hanger deck to the aft mess decks for lunch when I heard the arresting gear for the first time, scared the hell out of me.
Where was the Nimitz stationed at ?? Norfolk or the west coast ??

Anyway we had the Forrestal and the Saratoga carriers stationed at Mayport (Jacksonville, Florida) during the 80's as when both carriers were out to sea we loved it as the nite clubs around the base were half empty and so alot of single ladies appeared but when one or both carriers were in port then sadly they all disappeared .

Ahh the trials and tribulations of being single in the Navy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology