Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

well here's one that should have been done in the first week. the vid at the bottom shows the 21 inch riser pipe gushing oil and gas. why the hell haven't they taken a 5 ton blunt demolition drop chisel and drop it up and down on top of the end of the riser pipe to crimp it.. thats low tech and could be done with a crane and a barge. it could not make it any worse. it's just to obvious and would definitely work. that big riser pipe is the main reason the top kill junk shot method won't work the gap at the bend on the bop is to wide and all the mud and junk they send in to the bop just gets ejected thru the large opening.. if they did this then the junk shot could work cause the holes at the top of the bop are not that big, and would be plugged by the mud and rubber tire parts and other junk sent into the bop.. sounds like rocket science to me

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Leak Plume Gusher Disaster Video

the end of this riser pipe needs to be crimped, then the top kill junk shot has a real chance of success.. i can guarantee it will never work with such a large opening.!!!
WKRG.com Live Oil Spill Cam - live streaming video powered by Livestream
here is the link^^^ to live feed footage of top of bop.. another idea is to take the rov's and screw big threaded screws into the holes at the top of the bop to slow the flow of oil and gas escaping thru the holes. if they did both of these ideas i suggested i would say the junk mud shot would work..
this is a link to what a ten ton drop chisel looks likehttp://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/5699613/used_rock_chisel_weight.html#none

any people have a good idea post it.!! it cant hurt..

Last edited by cruxan; 05-29-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 AM

55 posts, read 209,913 times
I don't have any ideas myself, but has our government asked other countries for help? Maybe some other country with oil drilling experience might be able to come up with a solution. We help everyone else when they don't even want our help. Why not ask for help when we need it?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Send Rosie O'Donnell down there to sit on it.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
If I were Obama I would do this.

I would tell BP that if you do not stop it within the next 24 hours we are going to fine you 1 million dollars a day until you stop it.

That will get it stopped.

I am sure someone has the answer but of course we have no leadership skills running the country who knows who to ask or how to get the help.

Then to find out this rig failed an inspection just 10 days before this happened and no one did a thing makes it much worse.

BP was suppose to have a valve before the leak but did not want to spend the money to add it.

Obama needs to demand it be stopped or fine BP a one a day until it is.

Time to stop playing around.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
They've got a group of super-qualified, experienced expert PhDs with twice the average city-data poster IQ in some room over there figuring this out. I think they've got a better handle on it than we do. If it's taking a while to get it done, there's probably a good reason for the challenge.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If I were Obama I would do this.

I would tell BP that if you do not stop it within the next 24 hours we are going to fine you 1 million dollars a day until you stop it.
According to them they have spent 1 billion to date, you can assume it's in their best interests to get this stopped ASAP and fining them more isn't going to accelerate the process. By the time this is over there might not be a BP.

Quote:
BP was suppose to have a valve before the leak but did not want to spend the money to add it.
The BOP valve that failed is ....well a valve that is supposed to prevent this. The question is why did it fail.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Well, seeing as they are the ones telling the American government how much they've spilled...and seeing as they lied (and are KNOWN to have lied) the 1st time they told us how much was leaking.... I think you are being naive to the extreme if you think BP won't do any and every single thing in their power to dodge the bullet when it comes to paying for this disaster.

They make BILLIONS every 3 months and own gas stations, drill rigs, etc etc etc.
BP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spill the Truth

They don't really want to stop or damage the pipe because they want to
resume pumping in six months or a year...or however long it takes the American public to forget.

We are still pumping oil out of deep sea platforms by the way.
Obama's 'moratorium' was just on *drilling* new oil wells.
At least that's my understanding of the situation.

British Petroleum should be facing criminal charges.
Just because they're rich does not exempt them from the law.

This disaster will be affecting LA for decades.
Just as the Exxon Valdez STILL affects Alaska.
BP Oil Spill Confirmed as Worst in US History; Environmental Groups Challenge Continued Oil Operations in Gulf Excluded from New Moratorium

Last edited by brubaker; 05-29-2010 at 03:04 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
They've got a group of super-qualified, experienced expert PhDs with twice the average city-data poster IQ in some room over there figuring this out. I think they've got a better handle on it than we do. If it's taking a while to get it done, there's probably a good reason for the challenge.
do you realize that 90 percent of inventions come from average people working in back yard garages..how did bill gates start?? crimping the end of the riser pipe alone would cut off like 60 percent of the flow. and it's just to obvious. screwing lage deep threaded screws into the holes at the top of the bop is just to obviuse too, but would be harder than crimping the end of the riser pipe..

this thread was intended for ideas for coming up with with solutions not to critisize who or what caused the runaway oil well..

msnbc.com Video Player
you should watch this entire vid..!!^^ then come tell me the handle that big oil has on this disaster.. meanwhile thousands of creatures are dying in the gulf on day 41.. 30 years later and they are doing the same crap.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:30 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<yawn>

If you have ever dealt with water hammer or ram pumps, you know that you can't suddenly stop a massive flow like this without something bad happening. The key is to just slowly nibble away at the flow until it can be stopped.

Method 1:

1. Cut the pipe so there is a clear shot at it.

2. Make a ring of pipe 20' long that will just barely fit inside that pipe and brace the outside of it with knockaway bracing.

3. Center the pipe over the existing pipe and drive it down into it, allowing the oil to continue to go through the center of the new slightly smaller pipe.

4. Weld the pipes together with the equiv of a spot welder.

5. Rinse, lather & repeat until the opening is an inch wide.

6. Insert a rod.

7. Go home.

Temporary method two of immediately abating the worst of the problem:

Now that the methane is pretty much gone, stick a giant funnel over the puppy with a number of pipes and allow it to gush upwards to ships carrying off the oil.

Method three:

Make a collar that fits down on the pipe and can be attached. Leave the top open, but have a number of valves to slowly reduce the flow.

Whatever. BP is only going to do what the most highly paid and connected engineers want to do.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
If about 75 large boulders, say 10' in diameter, were dropped over the gusher such that they were heavy enough to remain stable in the flow area, they would divide the stream into multiple smaller streams. If the mound of large boulders was then covered by a layer of smaller boulders, say 3' in diameter, this would further subdivide the streams. Then a layer of 1' diameter rocks, then one of 4" diameter, then one of 1" diameter then cover the entire huge mound with sand, clay or the like. This would spread out the huge force of the gusher to a manageable level that could be stopped. Very simple, and I think easily doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology