U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM

594 posts, read 1,653,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Acrojimmy:

What do you mean O'Asian kitchen is too corporate? Just because its downtown near some offices and some people go there dressed up?

Im glad there is a great independent Pan-asian restaurant downtown with character like that downtown.

Other than Dim Sum, O'Asian kitchen has great Veggie Tempera, Singapore style rice noodles, and other things.

Its a really nice place in ambiance too. The OP will decide, after he or she sees the website for that restaurant.

Seattle may not be a "top tier dim sum town/city," in America, it really is a top Asian food city for many different types of Asian cuisine. Personally, I had better Indian, Thai, and Pan-asian food here a lot of the time than in New York City. Also many great desserts here. Great food that also isnt Asian. At least 25 great restaurants, and 5 great supermarkets, and definitely other great restaurants too. Seattle's food scene seems severely underrated. My family members who visited me from NYC were very impressed by Seattle's food scene and kind of jealous at times for some places. Actually, it really is one of the top food places in America in general if people look hard enough here.

I feel like some people who complain about Seattle's food scene only go to places like Mcdonalds and then say "Seattles food scene sucks." Not that Im saying anyone in this thread goes to Mcdonalds. Well, at least I hope not...

If me and my family members who visited me went to places like Mcdonalds here in Seattle, of course all of us would hate Seattle's food scene then and have nothing but horrible things to say about Seattles food scene. Of course there are some horrible food places in Seattle, but that is true with every place in the world.

Not that Im offending anyone who goes to places like Mcdonalds... but Mcdonalds really does have horrible, unhealthy food, and the way the place looks like always look dumpy. I dream of one day where all Mcdonalds close in America and the world... Actually I only saw 2 Mcdonalds in Seattle. Did see some Jack in the Box too here. Another joke for a food establishment.
What I mean is its on the ground(ish) floor of a large office building surrounded by corporate/municipal offices and looks and feels the part. I used to work at the Seattle Municipal Tower (Key Tower) and would eat there often. Im glad it was there and thought the food was good. Aside from Red Bowl and one of the salad bars on 3rd Ave, I thought it was one of the best options for lunch in the financial district proper.

My point is I feel that the corporate vibe there doesnt lend itself to as much of an authentic Dim-Sum experience as Jade Garden. I also thought the quality of the dim-sum at Jade Garden was a little better.

As for Seattle and Asian food, I only pointed out Dim-Sum. I think Seattle has excellent Thai and Vietnamese food, and some very good Japanese Restaurants as well. Chinese food on the whole is not as consistant, and the Dim-Sum in particular doesn't compare in range or quality to some other West Coast cities like Vancouver or SF. I thought it was worth mentioning, although that doesnt mean there arent some good spots. It just means I wouldnt randomly go into a dim-sum place in Seattle without doing research first (unlike the aforementioned cities).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 AM

76 posts, read 204,868 times
Jade Garden is best, hands down. Arrive early to beat the crowd.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM

138 posts, read 435,596 times
Seems like Jade Garden gets the popular vote. Is this the kind of place where you'll find a good amount of Chinese people eating? That's how I usually guage if I'm in a "good" restaurant or not.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM

51 posts, read 213,063 times
Top Gun in Bellevue is good, and New Hong Kong in Seattle is worth a visit too.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:57 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,308,051 times
To Acrojimmy: I have heard more horrible things about Jade Garden than O'Asian kitchen. I heard that Jade Garden's ambiance is worse than O'Asian kitchen,and that is dirty, and plain, while O'asian's ambiance is infinitely better.

I see that you mentioned Seattle has great Thai and Vietnamese food but you didnt mention Indian food. You dont eat Indian food!? There are great Indian food places in Seattle as well.

To Azdreamer::"The Seattle food scene doesn't compare to New York's. Here in Seattle I still have an appetite after walking through the neighborhood. The stench in NYC is a major appetite suppressant ."

Do you even know anything about Seattles food scene Azdreamer? MANY neighborhoods in NYC have horrible food options and ambiance for a place. Even in the nicer neighborhoods, there can be horrible food places. There are some nice restaurants and some great food in NYC, but that is true with Seattle as well. I love both of their food scenes.

Or wait, are you saying the New York's food scene sucks?haha I am confused by your post. If you are saying NYC's food scene isnt that great and is overrated, in some ways I agree. I still think NYC has a good food scene in certain places but it seems overrated.

Since I moved to Seattle, it feels even easier for me to eat healthier and find great food places just seem more easily accessible and easier to find out about, as well as finding out things I want to eat. And Seattle is a cleaner city than NYC

Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,343,361 times
Which is better, Top Gun or Noble Court?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,755,826 times
Quote:
Acrojimmy:

What do you mean O'Asian kitchen is too corporate? Just because its downtown near some offices and some people go there dressed up?

Im glad there is a great independent Pan-asian restaurant downtown with character like that downtown.

Other than Dim Sum, O'Asian kitchen has great Veggie Tempera, Singapore style rice noodles, and other things.

Its a really nice place in ambiance too. The OP will decide, after he or she sees the website for that restaurant.

Seattle may not be a "top tier dim sum town/city," in America, it really is a top Asian food city for many different types of Asian cuisine. Personally, I had better Indian, Thai, and Pan-asian food here a lot of the time than in New York City. Also many great desserts here. Great food that also isnt Asian. At least 25 great restaurants, and 5 great supermarkets, and definitely other great restaurants too. Seattle's food scene seems severely underrated. My family members who visited me from NYC were very impressed by Seattle's food scene and kind of jealous at times for some places. Actually, it really is one of the top food places in America in general if people look hard enough here.

I feel like some people who complain about Seattle's food scene only go to places like Mcdonalds and then say "Seattles food scene sucks." Not that Im saying anyone in this thread goes to Mcdonalds. Well, at least I hope not...

If me and my family members who visited me went to places like Mcdonalds here in Seattle, of course all of us would hate Seattle's food scene then and have nothing but horrible things to say about Seattles food scene. Of course there are some horrible food places in Seattle, but that is true with every place in the world.

Not that Im offending anyone who goes to places like Mcdonalds... but Mcdonalds really does have horrible, unhealthy food, and the way the place looks like always look dumpy. I dream of one day where all Mcdonalds close in America and the world... Actually I only saw 2 Mcdonalds in Seattle. Did see some Jack in the Box too here. Another joke for a food establishment.
I'm no fan of Jack in the Box or McDonald's, but for some people without much money, it's a treat to be able to go out and get served hot food for very little money. You can't really compare a Mickey D's to a cutting edge foody place: they don't attract the same clientele. I don't go to McDonald's because I can cook a much better hamburger at home or spend more and get a really good hamburger out, but some people just don't have that option.
Poor people. What should we do with them, so that their peasant restaurants don't invade our neighborhoods. Should we kill them, or just force them to move to Everett?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Ira, I disagree with what you said. Someone who doesnt have much money can afford and have food much healthier and tastier than the food at Mcdonalds or Jack in the Box and still have high standards for their food and without sacrificing their health. Food that is like Mcdonalds, Jack in theBox, KFC, etc can cause heart disease, cancers of all types, obesity etc. and overall not eating healthy.

Personally, I dont spend much money on food. I can easily spend only 20-25 dollars a day on three meals at Whole Foods, as well as three different types of fruits, 1 type of vegetable, and some other things all within that budget and can even spend less than that a day at Whole Foods(15-20 a day). I only eat out once or twice a week. Someone could even spend less than than that a day and still have healthier food. (Im not saying veggie burgers for one example are unhealthy food, it can be healthy, but not at places like Mcdonalds, Burger King etc. it seems like. )

For one example, I actually used to have a particular health problem about 1-2 years ago, but once I eat healthier that health problem completely went away.

The last sentence you said!? I hope you were joking. But even if it was a "joke"....

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-17-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,755,826 times
Quote:
Ira, I disagree with what you said. Someone who doesnt have much money can afford and have food much healthier and tastier than the food at Mcdonalds or Jack in the Box and still have high standards for their food and without sacrificing their health. Food that is like Mcdonalds, Jack in theBox, KFC, etc can cause heart disease, cancers of all types, obesity etc. and overall not eating healthy.

Personally, I dont spend much money on food. I can easily spend only 20-25 dollars a day on three meals at Whole Foods, as well as three different types of fruits, 1 type of vegetable, and some other things all within that budget and can even spend less than that a day at Whole Foods(15-20 a day). I only eat out once or twice a week. Someone could even spend less than than that a day and still have healthier food. (Im not saying veggie burgers for one example are unhealthy food, it can be healthy, but not at places like Mcdonalds, Burger King etc. it seems like. )

For one example, I actually used to have a particular health problem about 1-2 years ago, but once I eat healthier that health problem completely went away.

The last sentence you said!? I hope you were joking. But even if it was a "joke"....
Of course I was joking. What I meant was that we should eat poor people
Yes, eating at McDonald;s is very unhealthy and people would be a lot better off not eating there, but you can get three meals at McDonald's for less than ten dollars per day. I consider 20-25 dollars per day on food for one person to be a pretty substantial amount, that's practically 600-750 dollars per month. That's a lot of money. I'm glad you're eating healthy, but if you weren't paying attention to your health, you could live on a smaller food budget. Not saying you should, because good health is invaluable, but there are people out there who have to spend much less than 25 dollars per day. They wouldn't consider shopping at Whole Foods. It didn't earn the nickname Whole Paycheck for nothing.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 AM

To Ira500: I dont see how 20-25 a day for that is a lot for that much food. It really isnt. I think its a great deal. Someone can go to Whole Foods, and spend even less than that for three meals a day, with some fruits and vegetables(15 dollars a day for all that vs. 10-15 for the horror of Mcdonalds.)Some days I even spend as little as 15 a day for three meals, some fruits and vegtables.

If someone went to Mcdonalds everyday and spent that, that is 300 a month which is still a lot, and that is severely risking their health and can cause all types of diseases and illnesses that can prevent someone from having a happy, thriving, productive life.

Some diseases and illnesses that can be caused by eating unhealthy and having nutrition deficiencies: All types of cancer, heart disease, insomnia, autoimmune diseases, neurological problems, alzheimers, memory loss, decreased cognition. Very depressing stuff! Eating healthy really can prevent all of those types of problems. Why should someone who doesnt have a lot of money have to risk their health like that! They dont!

Also someone can buy a years supply of multivitamins that has 100% daily value of most nutrients for 20 dollars. (And they can buy this at Whole Foods!)

Healthy living isnt only for people who have a lot of money.

Food is relatively expensive.

Everyone should pay attention to their health. I could live on a smaller food budget than that and still would NEVER support places like Mcdonalds.

People who spend less than 25 dollars a day can still have Whole Foods as an option.

Whole Foods is the food supermarket for the 21st century and for the future in general. The more people support that place, it will get even more affordable.

I think Im starting to sound like an advertisement(or many advertisements all at once) so I guess this is the end of my post.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-18-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area