U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,731,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
O'asia kitchen > Jade Garden
Wild Ginger also > than Jade Garden
But NUB, didn't you write only what you'd heard about Jade Garden? Have you gone there since then?
Taste is a very personal thing. If I like something better at one place than at another, it's a better place to me. Doesn't matter what other people think of it, or if critics like it.
I've stayed mostly quiet on the Dim Sum issue. I don't eat it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,337,306 times
Going to Wild Ginger for Dim Sum is like going to PF Changs for dim sum. Possible, but what's the point?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,731,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Going to Wild Ginger for Dim Sum is like going to PF Changs for dim sum. Possible, but what's the point?

If a place is pretty, they serve small portions at high prices, and critics say things like " Exquisite", people are going to want to go there.
I know, I know, I'm a non cultured slob, but having been to Wild Ginger a couple of times, I just don't get all that acclaim.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM

138 posts, read 435,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If a place is pretty, they serve small portions at high prices, and critics say things like " Exquisite", people are going to want to go there.
I know, I know, I'm a non cultured slob, but having been to Wild Ginger a couple of times, I just don't get all that acclaim.
I agree on the decor issue and public bandwagonism regarding food critics. In the case of Dim Sum however, it's a hallmark of Hong Kong style to be smaller and usually signifies a higher "quality" as making dim sum requires a lot of time, labor and manual dexterity. It takes much less effort to roll a giant filled dough ball and slap a piece of paper on the seam making it the bottom than it does to pinch it into a decorative spiral as the top for instance.

Some of the noodle dishes are made from scratch with a rice flour liquid that is poured thin on a large cookie sheet type pan, then steamed, then rolled up with a filling and cut into segments shaped like a hostess ho-ho. When eating this dish, you can feel the difference in a lighter, thinner noodle vs a heavier, thicker one. Some people might not care either way but if you know a bit more of what's involved, you'll come to appreciate that it takes more care and time to make it thinner.

So I suppose sometimes you're paying not just for the cost of the food but the cost of the knowledgeable labor involved.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,288,855 times
To Ira500: I was in front of Jade Garden before and I wasnt impressed like I am with O'asian kitchen and Wild Ginger. But technically I didnt go "in it." I dont think the food is that expensive at O'asian kitchen or Wild Ginger, but it almost is to the close of expensive. Still worth the money though. But you are right. Different preferences for different people.

To mrsincredible: Maybe you can go to O'asian kitchen, Wild Ginger, and Jade Garden in your three day visit here. But that sounds like maybe too much dim sum in three days, what matter how much someone likes dim sum. Or maybe you like Dim Sum that much.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,337,306 times
My point was that Wild Ginger isn't a Chinese restaurant. Its Pan-Asian. Its a nice place, but its not a dim sum destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsincredible View Post
I agree on the decor issue and public bandwagonism regarding food critics. In the case of Dim Sum however, it's a hallmark of Hong Kong style to be smaller and usually signifies a higher "quality" as making dim sum requires a lot of time, labor and manual dexterity. It takes much less effort to roll a giant filled dough ball and slap a piece of paper on the seam making it the bottom than it does to pinch it into a decorative spiral as the top for instance.

Some of the noodle dishes are made from scratch with a rice flour liquid that is poured thin on a large cookie sheet type pan, then steamed, then rolled up with a filling and cut into segments shaped like a hostess ho-ho. When eating this dish, you can feel the difference in a lighter, thinner noodle vs a heavier, thicker one. Some people might not care either way but if you know a bit more of what's involved, you'll come to appreciate that it takes more care and time to make it thinner.

So I suppose sometimes you're paying not just for the cost of the food but the cost of the knowledgeable labor involved.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To mrsincredible: Maybe you can go to O'asian kitchen, Wild Ginger, and Jade Garden in your three day visit here. But that sounds like maybe too much dim sum in three days, what matter how much someone likes dim sum. Or maybe you like Dim Sum that much.
Nah we only have time for 1 dim sum meal. We want to check out other places for "go-to" restaurants for when we move there. East coast style, thin crust pizza, japanese with a varied menu, vietnamese pho joint, and a casual kid/family friendly diner style place are some of the other eateries we're looking for.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM

To Seattlenextyear: Wild ginger does have dim sum, so it is a destination for that.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 PM

Just wanted to report back that we ate at Jade Garden today and it was authentic and delish! The look of the place is a bit run down but that's pretty authentic, too, for a restaurant in a chinatown that has been around that long. It wasn't a big surprise and I'm used to eating in joints like that for dim sum.

Thanks everyone for the long and lively discussion!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Thats exactly what I dont like about Jade Garden. It looks kind of run down.

One of the many mysteries of life is why so many people like that place, when there are at least 40 other restaurants in Seattle that are much better.

After checking out 20-25 great restaurants in Seattle, Jade Garden is disapointing for me.

Overall, though, I think Seattle's food scene is amazing, and in some ways, I had many better food experiences here than in New York City, where I am from.

Seattle's food scene seems underrated. In some ways, New York City's food scene might be overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area