Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM

328 posts, read 838,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
ya but when someone is smiling and saying good morning at the check out line, i'm not looking to make a like long buddy; it's just the simple politness that makes coexistance more enjoyable. and you don't get those type of pleasentries or manners from many people in the pnw. maybe you say well it's "real", then give me the artifical niceties of the old days and old south ways any time. and honestly are you telling me that people in seattle/tacoma/bremerton or any of the big cities on the west coast are approchable and hosipitable????? through all my travels you'll only find these types of people in the flyover parts of the us.
Actually, I am. I've lived in Seattle for almost twenty years and I've found most people to be pleasant, approachable, and polite. I go to Safeway or Target, and most of the clerks are polite, friendly, and helpful. The first year I moved here, I had people befriending me left and right. A simple smile and small talk, where ever you are can go a long way to breaking the ice.

That's not to say we don't have the rude and disinterested here, but trust me, they are every where else too. I've expereienced what you describe above in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and on and on and on. My point is these are opinions. Your experience is yours and mine is mine. But...they are opinions based on our unique experiences. To suggest that people are rude and unfriendly in a given area as though it's fact is not fair, now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
good for you that you have had such a sweet experience in the pnw. and it sounds like to me you think people are just sweet overall. nice for you great attitude. but i've been in many different areas of this country and there is a difference in people in different regions. and of all the regions that i've lived and traveled to, the pnw is the most unfriedly of them all. and one only notices contrast when one has something to contrast it to. so i'm not just going by a one time period either. i'm not young at all and i've lived in the pnw at three different periods of my life and that is the overriding impression i've come away from the region and that is in comparison to all the other regions of this country that i've traveled and lived the pnw has the most unfriendly people. i'm not talking about outward rude people i'm talking about manners, politness, easy going congenial demeanor: these are the what i'm talking about that are lacking overall in the attitude of people of this region in comparison to every other region that i've lived in. but good for you i'm glad you have found a great place that suites you.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM

328 posts, read 838,892 times
Quote:
good for you that you have had such a sweet experience in the pnw. and it sounds like to me you think people are just sweet overall. nice for you great attitude. but i've been in many different areas of this country and there is a difference in people in different regions. and of all the regions that i've lived and traveled to, the pnw is the most unfriedly of them all. and one only notices contrast when one has something to contrast it to. so i'm not just going by a one time period either. i'm not young at all and i've lived in the pnw at three different periods of my life and that is the overriding impression i've come away from the region and that is in comparison to all the other regions of this country that i've traveled and lived the pnw has the most unfriendly people. i'm not talking about outward rude people i'm talking about manners, politness, easy going congenial demeanor: these are the what i'm talking about that are lacking overall in the attitude of people of this region in comparison to every other region that i've lived in. but good for you i'm glad you have found a great place that suites you.
Nah...on the contrary, I don't think most people are sweet, here or any where else. I'm not young either and have also travelled extensively across the country so I do have the experience of contrast as you describe. However, I simply don't agree that the PNW is the most unfriendly - it's my opinion and I reserve the right to state it. I found some of my worst experiences in rural Arizona, California, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio, and yes, Texas. However, I have also had pleasant experiences in those places, so to categorically say <insert place here> people are rude and unfriendly with out acknowledging that it is an opinion, is to me, unfair.

I simply don't want the OP to be colored by opinions presented as facts. The best thing that anyone can do is visit and judge for themselves - this is a message I consistently deliver. While I love my home, I've also said it's not for everyone. My "Seattle Booster Days" went away a long time ago.

I hope we can agree to disagree and let the OP make his/her own judgements

Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
For a big city, Seattle people are really polite. End of story.

I love the sun, and enjoy Seattles normal summers (not this one, of course) but once you get a decent circle of friends, you can have so much fun on those dark winter days. Meet at the pub, hit up art exhibits, new restaurants, movie nights, double n triple dates, dinner parties, regular parties, Holiday parties... People come to my apartment around December just for my awesome sauteed sausage/apple/onions dish followed by local brews a-plenty.

My god its a booze-soaked cozy time.

Then you fly to south Florida around early December and sometime in February to keep your sanity.

But overall, Seattle is a very healthy place to live in many ways. I feel like its insulated from a lot of the downsides to American living. People here are super smart, eat well and expect a high quality of life. I can always visit other cities (and I do, often).

Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM

rmkiefer07 of course it's my opinion WHAT ELSE WOULD IT BE a judgment call can only be an opinion. FACT??? impossible. all we have are our opinions.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM

36 posts, read 108,244 times
Funny. My dh and I are the oposite of you. We can't stop reading about the Carolina's. We've even been to Raleigh/Durham JUST to see if we would like to move to that region. Currently my dh is up for a job transfer to Greenville, SC and we really hope we get it!

However... you really can't beat the summers here in the Pac NW. They are divine. For the most part they are almost perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. The sun finally peeked out today so I may be riding the yellow high.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the Pac NW. Or maybe it's because I have also lived near NYC and in Los Angeles... but people are people no matter where you go. You get your fair share of friendly or not. You also get your fair share of crazy (or not). You just can't generalize a whole entire region into a certain category.

That said the people here in Seattle ARE ridiculously smart. I read a news article sometime last year that we have one of the most educated populations in the US. I find people here to be well read and interesting. There are so many people here from all over the US and the world. And oh man... the Pho. Oh, the Pho. (Vietnemese Noodle soup... and there is one on every corner.)

BUT I do admit to owning a sun lamp because NINE months out of the year it's gray and overcast. It's also expensive here. The cost of living is pretty high. Gas is expensive. Housing is not cheap. And in some cities sales tax is as high as 9 or 10%. For my husband and I we want to move to an area that we can still be near a city center but have a bigger house and property for our kids. We are looking for those summer nights. The swimming at night. The fireflies. Heck... I don't even mind humidity. It makes my skin look fabulous!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
I would advise you find a way to get as much real life experience of Seattle as you can before deciding to move there. Even if it is just online, this place is a start but try for something that will give you a feel for the social interaction.

The lesson I learned from many moves is that there are two components to how you will fit into a place - how you experience it and how it experiences you. It's important to find out about this before you make a big commitment. You already know the travel brochure version of what Seattle is, it's a magnificent city with much to offer, but I'd say look for the personal angle of what it would be for you as well as for the other cities you are considering.
Great advice! Unfortunately, in my current financial situation (not poor, just can't save up very much) I can't just up and go right now. But getting some initial feels for places is of course a great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I miss family the most and it's easy to think I'll just hop on a plane anytime to see them, but reality is that doesn't always happen whether its due to work/cost or whatever.
This is a large concern of mine, I'll admit.

Quote:
i've lived in seattle, tacoma, and bremerton all at different times in my life and i certainly don't think anyone from the south would enjoy the PNW only becasue they are use to friendly people. and the PNW people are NOT friendly. they are sullen, they rarely have a smile and and friendly hello when they encounter people. just look at the checkout stands at your local stores and see how many people greet each other with a smile or a hello or conversation................RARELY do you see people greet each other like that. and in the south that is second nature.
The sullen, stormy people remind me of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Louisville and Lexington. So not much different, really...and that may well not be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
I think what a lot folks experience is the short days in winter that are also cloudy and wet. When daylight is only from 8a to 4p and it's cloudy most of that time, most people don't fair well. Then the rainy season goes until May or June (as it often does), people get real antsy for the sun. Now me, while I like the sunny days in summer, I tire of them quickly and look forward to winter again. If you can deal with nine months of less than sunny weather, you'll be fine in that department. My suggestion is to make two trips, August and December.
Sounds to me like Seattle is one of these places that has to lived in, not just visited, to truly understand what it's like. Not that every place isn't, but Seattle seems to be that moreso than others.

Quote:
Southern friendliness IMO is often a front for getting the gossip and spreading the gossip. And if you're not from the area, you're a yankee any way you slice it and dice it and you will not likely be allowed in any inner circle for a long time, if ever.
I like Southern politeness. However, I don't like the Southern "front". Make sense?

Quote:
Actually, I am. I've lived in Seattle for almost twenty years and I've found most people to be pleasant, approachable, and polite.

That's not to say we don't have the rude and disinterested here, but trust me, they are every where else too.

My point is these are opinions. Your experience is yours and mine is mine. But...they are opinions based on our unique experiences.
Thanks for understanding! We all have our own experiences and nobody can negate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanby View Post
Funny. My dh and I are the oposite of you. We can't stop reading about the Carolina's. We've even been to Raleigh/Durham JUST to see if we would like to move to that region. Currently my dh is up for a job transfer to Greenville, SC and we really hope we get it!

That said the people here in Seattle ARE ridiculously smart. I read a news article sometime last year that we have one of the most educated populations in the US. I find people here to be well read and interesting. There are so many people here from all over the US and the world. And oh man... the Pho. Oh, the Pho. (Vietnemese Noodle soup... and there is one on every corner.)
I can't stop reading about TX, CA and western WA. Although I have actively been applying for out-of-state jobs over the last two years, I've only landed one out-of-state interview (and that was in S. Dakota, actually.)

The people I've met from Seattle have had an educated air to them, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily arrogant, either, but certainly more worldly and enlightened than many of the people here. I don't consider myself to be an intellectual (although I am intelligent), but it would at least be refreshing to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM

333 posts, read 810,327 times
Redhead, I did find your experience to be true generally about Seattle as compared to the South - in a meeting between strangers there's just not the same level of warmth. I often found my attempts at what I considered basic politeness to be met with a an uncomfortable or icy attitude. There's some of that going on in Portland as well, but overall it is much friendlier. Going to my theory about climate/geography shaping culture, Portland has much hotter temperatures in the summer - tends to run about ten degrees higher.

Still back to the OP so much depends on what his unique personality is and how it fits with Seattle. Some people may be more or less bothered by the reserve depending on what they are comfortable with and what they bring out in others too. Also he's in his twenties and the dynamics among the college age may be very different as well......so test and experience!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Redhead, I did find your experience to be true generally about Seattle as compared to the South - in a meeting between strangers there's just not the same level of warmth. I often found my attempts at what I considered basic politeness to be met with a an uncomfortable or icy attitude. There's some of that going on in Portland as well, but overall it is much friendlier. Going to my theory about climate/geography shaping culture, Portland has much hotter temperatures in the summer - tends to run about ten degrees higher.

Still back to the OP so much depends on what his unique personality is and how it fits with Seattle. Some people may be more or less bothered by the reserve depending on what they are comfortable with and what they bring out in others too. Also he's in his twenties and the dynamics among the college age may be very different as well......so test and experience!
thanks sprightly; your point is well taken about the younger people being more outgoing and just generally more "up-beat". this just recalls to me several experiences that set me back when i first traveled through montana. i noticed that whenever i was in a store either just standing in the checkout line or looking at the merchandise if i became in someone's "zone" or close proximaty the person always looked up or over at me and smiled and greeted me or simply made a comment of some sort. it seemed to be an unspoken rule that you acknowledge each others existance with some politness. this happened all the time. this rarely happened when i lived in any city on the west coast; los angles, vegas, portland, tacoma, seattle. so striking up a conversation with a "stranger" is done all the time where I live. people "expect" to be acknowledged and greeted, and it's nothing for people to engage in lengthy conversations with someone they just encountered, it's like everyone is your neighbor. now can anyone that lives in any of these cities i've listed say that this is a common occurance on the west coast???

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Quote:
and another thing, one CAN NOT underestamate the effect of not seeing the sun for years. they have in the pnw what's called sunburst; that's the few minuts the sun might be uncovered by the clouds a few days out of the year. if you've lived in an area with regular sunny summers and are not a writer or big time indoor enthusist then you'll go bonkers in the pnw. unless you have a job where you travel a lot so can go visit the sun. other then the people, traffic, and weather, the pnw is beautiful to look at. very green and scenic and lots to do. but snooty people and gray skies are a BIG BIG deal to lots of people.
It's called a Sun BREAK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area