Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Some things out of many things I love about Seattle:
2. I wish Seattle extended more old architecture that can be found in areas of downtown alongside extending modern architecture. Seattle overall does have a nice mix of old and modern architecture in areas of downtown and Im a fan of both old and modern type of architecture.
There's an area on First Hill where you have a pretty good and picturesque mix: 1116 boren, Seattle, WA - Google Maps If you click that and street view it, you'll see what I mean.

There are a pretty good number of areas up and down the numbered streets from Pioneer Square to Belltown that have turn-of-the-century and modern architecture side-by-side. Out in the suburbs, you have bungalows from the earlier part of the 20th century that are mixed with newer houses; we lived in a brick bungalow that was built in 1945 on 5th and 80th, and the neighborhood was an interesting mix of ornate brick houses from the 20's to 40's; midcentury ramblers; and newer places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:00 PM

172 posts, read 442,065 times
Seattle is a way cool city, sometimes I think we forget how blessed we are to life in this part of the country. here are my reasons:

-I noticed having lived on the east coast, our crime isn't as bad as most cites over there. Some cities over there have higher crime rates and they are half the city of Seattle.
-Its green in Seattle all the time.
-We can take a day trip to the Olympic national park or Rainier, North Cascades, etc, etc.
- Seattle has Pikes place market, and a cool downtown area
-You can also see Rainier, mt Baker, Olympic mountains, and other volcanoes anytime of the year.
-Visit the beaches
-The rain. Having lived in a deseret for the last two years it's really nice to see the rain.
-educated people
-accepting people.
-Seattle skyline

Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
To 415_s2k:

Wow! I had no idea you liked anything about Seattle, let alone a lot of things about it. Hm, is this a different person on the same city-data name? I agree about the architecture in areas outside of Pioneer square for areas in other areas of Downtown, areas of First Hill, Belltown, and Capital Hill. There are even some great old and modern buildings in the University District and Ballard.

Someone can definitely find great architecture in areas of Seattle, but there is some ugly architecture here too. I guess this is true about almost any place in the world(Except some places dont have even one example of nice architecture). Even New York City and San Francisco has ugly architecture in certain areas.

I like Pike's Place market, but I actually find Pikes Place market itself overrated in some ways. I actually prefer being in other areas of downtown but its still great.

I also dont like the transportation here in some ways, while in other ways I do like it. But the public transportation here has been discouraging so much lately(The buses usually come every half an hour and are usually 5-15 minutes late, I also have to take more than one bus for many areas of Seattle), I definitely am going to try to get my drivers license as soon as possible and have a car. I enjoy Seattle more when I get around here by car such as when my family members visited and drove me to places here.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To 415_s2k:

Wow! I had no idea you liked anything about Seattle, let alone a lot of things about it. Hm, is this a different person on the same city-data name?
Nah, I said from the get go I could name restaurants and shops that I liked. I don't dislike Seattle in its entirety, it's just that the negatives outweighed the positives. I can totally see why people would love it there, it's just not enough for me. I've never said that I think anyone shouldn't like Seattle... I've never said anyone's nuts for liking or loving it... I just don't like it much for myself.

Quote:
I also dont like the transportation here in some ways, while in other ways I do like it. But the public transportation here has been discouraging so much lately(The buses usually come every half an hour and are usually 5-15 minutes late, I also have to take more than one bus for many areas of Seattle), I definitely am going to try to get my drivers license as soon as possible and have a car. I enjoy Seattle more when I get around here by car such as when my family members visited and drove me to places here.
The only really super-frustrating experiences I had with public transit was when it snowed; the bus was an hour and a half late, and then it blew straight past my stop - it was a sheltered stop on a corner, it was right there, I was standing outside, and it just blew straight past me! Wtf?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Oh. Well thats definitely a good attitude for you to have about Seattle.

Are there places in the USA where you feel people are nuts for liking anything about it?

I am going to send Part 3 of another message response within 20 minutes.

Wow, what a horrible bus experience you had! A few days ago, there was a day where I had to wait 1 hour and 25 minutes for a bus(missed the bus before by a few minutes) and the next bus that came was one hour late, and its not like it snowed that day or anything. It was also on 112th and Greenwood avenue, which is a rather busy and bus dependent area. That experience itself inspired me to definitely get my drivers license as soon as I can and have a car. Also the buses can sometimes get really crowded and there is almost no space in the bus aisle for people.

I still think Seattles public transportation is great most of the time, but it definitely can suck sometimes. I guess this is even true with New York City, where the public transportation can feel like it sucks.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Default Go home Howard

Seattle was a great city until Howard sold the public trust to OKC ,like the Sonics were another overpriced coffee drink!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM

343 posts, read 1,085,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEZ View Post
Seattle was a great city until Howard sold the public trust to OKC ,like the Sonics were another overpriced coffee drink!
Dude, let it go. It's been two years. We've still got the Mariners, the Seahawks, the Storm, and now the Sounders. KeyArena and Seattle Center as a whole are getting by just fine as well.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
I have not been but from the photos I've seen from users here I am stunned by how clean the city is for it's size.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:22 AM

59 posts, read 198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Despite what some posters here may think, there are a lot of things I do like about Seattle.

- Best aquarium I've ever been to.
- One of the best zoos out there - beats the SF zoo, imho.
- Exceptionally good Ethiopian dining options relative to the size of the city and the size of the Ethiopian community.
- Despite the fact that many people list Seattle's traffic as a "con," I think it's a pro: the traffic is worse than, say, Everett or Bellingham... but it's a big city! Relative to pretty much any other major coastal US city, the traffic really is not all that bad, especially considering that they don't have an underground that links the suburbs and downtown area. From North Seattle to Downtown never took me any longer than a half an hour, and usually was only 10-20 minutes... in traffic!
- The bus system is actually quite good.
- Excellent, top-notch parks. Golden Gardens, Alki Beach, the Arboretum, the Japanese garden... all very beautiful and picturesque. Quite enchanting.
- Comparatively mellow, fair police force. Generally.
- The Pike Place Market is the coolest farmer's market I've ever been to, and it's so much more... I got a bunch of high-quality handmade candles, a fez, a decent falafel, and a mandala to put on my wall and stare at all in one stop! Can't beat the view or scenery, and the breadth of it definitely beats the once-a-week, much-smaller farmer's market at San Francisco's ferry building.
mod cut: personal attack removed. The Aquarium is very small, after 30 minutes you have seen it all - you can spend more time in a good pet store! The Zoo isn't bad, but "one of the best"? San Diego, hell even the Dallas zoo is better. Have you *BEEN* to other cities?

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: it was an opinion ...everybody is entitled to their opinion

Old 07-11-2010, 02:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,944 times
Mount Raineer and Space Needle. Also, Ballard and Capitol Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area