Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 AM

64 posts, read 94,852 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much, Vnodak. You are a sweetheart, I can tell! Big hugs, and mayhap we'll meet in Seattle. I can't wait until the day I can claim 30 years experience. I feel like I learn something new every night at work. After 30 years it'll feel so good to know so much more and be of much greater help. Take care, and thanks again for your kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM

197 posts, read 612,731 times
I work at Northwest Hospital. I know we have open shifts in the ED, if you are interested. My two cents - If you just get your foot in the door in a hospital, you can eventually get into any department and shift you want.
Keep trying and be agressive. You will get hired! :-)

Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Hi Burlshoe! It's 0701, and I'm getting ready for bed. I was just checking my email and this forum of course, when I saw your post. What a cool post! It really gives me hope. I'm going to apply for sure. Yes, yes, yes...must get the foot in the door. I can't wait . Thanks again for starting my "day" off to a good start. Take care.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 PM

218 posts, read 580,244 times
Yes, nursing jobs are not as freely found as a few years ago - anywhere. Even specialty RNs are holding onto their jobs. You have to remember, that nursing schools have been FULL for years now. Don't we all notice that everybody you meet is a nurse - There are lots and lots of grads. Also, hospitals are hurting financially. They have gradually cut back and many RNs do the work that two RNs used to do a few years ago. Don't feel badly though. Physicians fresh out of residency don't always have it easy right now. The small town where I work has had LOADS of MDs apply - all looking for work anywhere they can get it.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM

My post sounded depressed, I'm sorry. Look, things will get better. Here's the deal. The other poster is so right - you WILL find a job. It may not be the exact shift, department, location you might wish for right off - but you can get your foot in the door. Then as you get to know other nurses, you give yourself a good chance to get just what you want. Good luck and God bless you in your job search.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 PM

197 posts, read 612,731 times
No sweat, Tx,
You are right. The big thing to remember about nursing and Seattle is that 5-10 years ago, Boeing laid off many, many workers from their plants. Many of them qualified for education benefits as part of their compensation package, as well as the advice that they shold look into nursing because of the "nursing shortage."
Well, then the economy slumped, and the senior nurses that economists projected to retire saw their 401Ks dissolve (and many of them had their spouses laid off) so retirement was no longer an option. So you have a lot of older, wiser, experienced nurses having to hold on to their positions, as well as a lot of new grads who are needing a home. And like you said (and what I have also seen at my hospital), many of the people coming into hospitals these days do not have insurance or benefits of any kind, so the hospitals are forced to eat the cost of their care. So cutbacks are everywhere. Kind of a perfect storm, huh?
But people still need to move, still need to take time off, and still need care, so while I would not say nursing is as easy as it was to get into, if it is what you want to do, jobs are there. You just have to be patient and keep your eyes peeled for what you want.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:29 AM

I am familiar with nursing situation in Seattle area right now. Here's the scoop. More nurses looking for jobs than jobs. Those with jobs are hanging on to them - not moving around much. Good agencies with good nurses? My RN buds who travel have no problem. They are doing well, and are treated well. Hospitals also doing with as little staff as possible, economic reasons. My sis works with a number of Seattle transplants in DFW TX area who moved there for good jobs - got sick of waiting for good ones in Seattle. She has met more than a few this way. Don't know what to say. This isnt your usual downturn economy. It won't get better anytime soon. I wish every RN luck to find that wonderful position they are looking for in Seattle. I love Seattle.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Burl is so right. We were in Seattle during the time of the Boeing layoff. Its so true that it seems like every other person you meet has gone to nursing school. My PA friends are now worried the same will happen to them - as now everyone it seems is going to be a Physician's Asst. At some point, you simply have more people hitting the job market than there are jobs. Like Burl said, unfortunately, perfect storm.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey guys, sorry I've been gone. I'm on my 3rd night in a row and feel kindof loopy I usually am able to wake up well a couple of hours before going in, but it's like my body's dragging!

I hear what you're saying about it being tough to find work because of 1) Layed off people who can't see a doctor because they've no insurance and 2) all the people who decided that nursing would be the most reliable field for them.

I am starting to think maybe I should stay in CO for now anyway. You know, stay here, get my ACLS, get another year of experince, maybe even in ICU or cardiac. That would make me more able to serve a greater/more acute variety of patients.

Please do keep me posted if anything changes or if you just want to chat. I think it's so much fun carrying on these conversations with people from other states. I love the way this forum lets you "see" through the eyes of another. Take care!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse2B View Post
Hey guys, sorry I've been gone. I'm on my 3rd night in a row and feel kindof loopy I usually am able to wake up well a couple of hours before going in, but it's like my body's dragging!

I hear what you're saying about it being tough to find work because of 1) Layed off people who can't see a doctor because they've no insurance and 2) all the people who decided that nursing would be the most reliable field for them.

I am starting to think maybe I should stay in CO for now anyway. You know, stay here, get my ACLS, get another year of experince, maybe even in ICU or cardiac. That would make me more able to serve a greater/more acute variety of patients.

Please do keep me posted if anything changes or if you just want to chat. I think it's so much fun carrying on these conversations with people from other states. I love the way this forum lets you "see" through the eyes of another. Take care!
Hey, sounds like a very smart thing for now in this economy. If you have the chance or the desire, Or nurses are premium and still high in demand. Getting a variety of experiences gives you a better chance at getting your foot in the door. I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: