U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 53,543 times

Advertisements

You guys are very helpful so I'm throwing yet two more question out there.

1. I've been checking zip codes and areas around Bellevue, Issaquah, Sammamish for crime stats (I usually check in the "Sperling's Best Places site so I'm not sure how accurate it is). I have been finding higher crime stats than I thought and it is starting to concern me a little. In Bothell and Woodenville the crime stats seem to be lower.

My question is, should I be concerned buying a house/townhouse in Bellevue/Issaquah area. We have 2 small children and safety (as well as schools) is one of our major concerns. We were looking at Southern Bellevue, Issaquah Highlands and Sammamish. Any zip codes to stay away from?

2. It looks like we'll be buying a townhouse (not a house) to start with. We are used to having a house and in our area townhouses are in a part of town that tends to have higher crime (see a trend? I'm having crime concerns). However, I see that there are a lot of townhouses in this entire area and some are quite nice. Anyone out there has experienced townhouse living in the area and do you have any advice? Again, any zip codes to stay away from?

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,344,849 times
Crime in those areas is very low. You won't have much of a problem.

Keep us updated on where the townhouses you're seriously looking at are. We can tell you something about the areas.

Might I make the suggestion that if you go with the Highlands, your husband can take the Sound Transit bus to work from Issaquah Highlands Park and Ride right to the Eastgate Park and Ride (very close walk). If he's a full time employee, he gets an almost-free transit card.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 06-25-2010 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: i can haz grammar

Old 06-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Also, if you're looking at large townhouses, keep in mind that you CAN find single family houses at the same price point in similar areas.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks Seattlenextyear.

We are seriously looking at Highlands (zip codes 98029, 98075), south Sammamish (I don't have zip codes yet) and we were told to look in South Bellevue at zips 98007, 98008, 98052.

Any thoughts or different suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,762,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
Thanks Seattlenextyear.

We are seriously looking at Highlands (zip codes 98029, 98075), south Sammamish (I don't have zip codes yet) and we were told to look in South Bellevue at zips 98007, 98008, 98052.

Any thoughts or different suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
98052 is Redmond, and 98007 and 98008 are more like northeast Bellevue. 98006 is one South Bellevue zip code, and there may be others.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

You can physically see Bellevue College from the Redfin map. Its a good starting point.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,496,910 times
I lived in 98029 for three years. I have never lived anywhere that felt and was safer. It was a place where parents let their kids play in the parks unsupervised (even small ones, which always weirded me out a little), and there were many nights where we went to bed and forgot to lock doors, with no problems. Most of the neighborhood kids left bikes and such on their porches, or sometimes even in the park, and never had anything stolen. Coming from CA that was a huge shock to me. There was also a park up there where there were several little bikes and scooters that just had "Property of Kirk Park" Sharpie'd onto them, and they were always there. In even the nice parts of CA those would have been stolen the first day.

I loved living in the Issaquah Highlands. I felt like a rich person (even though we were only renting a townhome). If we hadn't been relocated back to CA, we would have bought a townhome there.

V. =)

ETA: I have a 1 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2 year old.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks Veronica W - that makes me feel much better.

This is probably a silly question to Seattlenextyear - but what is the "Redfin map?"

We have narrowed our choices to Issaquah Highlands or Sammamish (or somewhere in between I think would be fine too). Does anyone have any thoughts as to one being better than the other? Or any major differences we should know about?

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area