Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, as I've never been to Seattle but plan to visit it sometime, what is is that people don't like about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyx View Post
Wait, there are half-Japanese supermodels?
There should be.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 AM

233 posts, read 752,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
I'm curious, as I've never been to Seattle but plan to visit it sometime, what is is that people don't like about it???
Usually what i've encountered with people who don't like it here has to do with one of these three things- and not necessarily in this order.
1. Weather (for some, the overcast days are too much to handle)
2. People (i've heard-- too smug, too cliquish, too liberal, boring, hard to make friends with.)
3. Traffic

Those are the most oft repeated complaints I can think of.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Usually what i've encountered with people who don't like it here has to do with one of these three things- and not necessarily in this order.
1. Weather (for some, the overcast days are too much to handle)
2. People (i've heard-- too smug, too cliquish, too liberal, boring, hard to make friends with.)
3. Traffic

Those are the most oft repeated complaints I can think of.
I would agree totally but would also add---cost of living and toooooooooo many taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 AM

225 posts, read 643,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserableinseattle View Post
thank you for your nice response. Where did you leave prior to moving to Seattle, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is the lemons lemonade reference?

Best Wishes
Orlando.

How could I not like Orlando? I'll have to plead Thumper* on this.

*from the movie Bambi - "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."

Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I sort of felt the same way when I moved to St. Louis. For the first 6 months I tried, real hard, to like the city. Living in the suburbs, I couldn't get anywhere without driving, and I found that people in St. Louis paid so much attention to sports that basically that's all there was to do.

Eventually I found to love the City Museum, Laclede's Landing, the botanical gardens, and Dogtown, but in the end, I didn't really fit in. I made some friends, for sure, but I didn't really like it there in the end. However, I had opportunity thrust upon myself as a project I'd been working got cancelled and I got nervous and quickly looked for jobs outside of St. Louis. Anywhere would do.

Seattle just happened to be the city that I love, that I enjoy, met my wife at, and look forward to spending a long, long time here. It isn't for everyone for sure. Sorry to see you go.

RE: half-Japanese supermodels, maybe my wife and I can make one, ... LOL.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
I too do not like it here and can not wait to get out. Do not get me wrong, there are good things here but this is not the place for me. Reasons---see above post. I truthfully can say these last five years here have been the worst of my life and I am not a spring chicken. Focusing on leaving and working towards that goal has made it much better for me and I do try and do some fun things to help it along. I wish you all the best on getting out of here if that is truly what you want and I might add to get your vit D3 level checked as that is a big thing that can affect depression.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I sort of felt the same way when I moved to St. Louis. For the first 6 months I tried, real hard, to like the city. Living in the suburbs, I couldn't get anywhere without driving, and I found that people in St. Louis paid so much attention to sports that basically that's all there was to do.

Eventually I found to love the City Museum, Laclede's Landing, the botanical gardens, and Dogtown, but in the end, I didn't really fit in. I made some friends, for sure, but I didn't really like it there in the end. However, I had opportunity thrust upon myself as a project I'd been working got cancelled and I got nervous and quickly looked for jobs outside of St. Louis. Anywhere would do.

Seattle just happened to be the city that I love, that I enjoy, met my wife at, and look forward to spending a long, long time here. It isn't for everyone for sure. Sorry to see you go.

LOL @ the supermodel remark.

This is also how I feel about San Diego. I've been here for a long time, due to a job I had. I no longer have that job and now it's going to be very hard for me to get out. I simply have never fit in here and can understand how one can feel when stuck in a city that just doesn't feel like you're at home. It just feels like you're living in some other city, not your home.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
If you could, that would be super!

I kid though.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserableinseattle View Post
Some of you might remember me. I posted for the first time months ago and I was really depressed, devastated because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fit in Seattle. I am here in WA because I was hired in one of the best companies in the world, and it's not an overstatement. My company is just amazing and I feel really blessed.

I changed my attitude and I have a way more optimistic outlook and I am writing this to give a piece of advice to people who, like myself, do not like living in Seattle. Have a positive attitude. Make the best out of it. Myself: I tried desperately, for months, to fall in love with this place, go out, keep myself busy, and nothing happened. So, now, I am using an unpleasant situation to my advantage. I am working 7 days a week, non stop, trying to save as much money as possible, piling up, so that hopefully soon I will move away. I try to look at the glass half full and not half empty. If I lived in a city I loved I wouldn't be able to work as much as I do know. I challenged all my rage and anguish in a constructive and productive way.

Even though I don't like living here, I have to say "thank you" to Seattle for giving me this job. Jobs like mine happen only once in a lifetime. It goes without saying that I respect people who love this place. I personally would love this place for a 2 week vacation, not for living.

Best Wishes to all
I have to ask, because I am so curious. What in the hell is it about this place that either causes people to either fall in love or depths of depression preceeded by hate? It appears to be such a polarizing place that the thought of moving there fills me with so much anxiety. Seattle is a city I have always loved, and I've always wanted to give it a go, but why does the city elicit such extreme reactions?

Is it just a confluence of the weather and social norms? Something that cannot be explained, just experienced? I am hard pressed to think I could be miserable in a place if I could make a lateral or even vertical career move there and keep my same hobbies and interest in tact, and logically speaking it seems like that should hold true for anyone else as well.

I guess that logic doesn't apply in this situation though, because a lot of things in life appear logical but just aren't. If enough people feel the way you described, there must be a legitimate reason why. Anything you can put your finger on without changing the tone of the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area