Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,673 times

Advertisements

I have been a Chicago suburb girl my whole life. Fall is my fav time of the year. Chicago summers are humid and very hot, winters are long and subzero. I've always wanted to live where it is 50-70's most of the time--part for me, part for my Chow Chow dogs who hate humidity, and part for my elderly parents who will make the move too. I'm also vegan and have longed to live somewhere that offers greater choices than my current city of Wheaton, IL. I embrace environmental consciousness out here from natural lawn care to no VOC paints, etc. -- another thing that Wheaton-ites don't place much value on overall. Some great things about Wheaton is it is very safe, very dog friendly, very open spaced with great parks, and the people are very friendly too.

I just graduated from nursing school. There are no new RN grad jobs to be found in the suburbs.

So I figured...

I've been talking about if for 20 years already (I'm 43)....just do it! But I need help. I want to feel like part of a community but still have some privacy. I like good shopping, good eating, but quaint too. Safety, good schools, good jobs, moderately priced housing, real people with values and respect for others.

Anyone got any ideas? Where are the best hospitals? Any new grad positions? Where are the best neighborhoods? I was planning to purchase for around $600Kish or so...I don't want a long commute. I want to be in a safe and friendly neighborhood. With somewhere to walk my dogs safely (not an area where dogs just run off leash)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Seattle is very dog-friendly and we have lots of great neighborhoods.

They're going to open the Children's Hospital satellite in Bellevue in the fall. Perhaps you should check into that and see if they're hiring. For 600Kish, it would get you a decent house in the Eastside.

Reality is, we have a lot of good hospitals, clinics and so forth. But why limit yourself to Seattle? Check into Tacoma and Olympia as well-- it'll be cheaper and you'll get more for your money.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods in and around Seattle where you can buy a very nice house for 600,000 dollars.
But judging from your post, where you want safe, quaint, good dog walking areas, good schools, environmental consciousness, etc, I'd suggest looking into one of the residential neighborhoods within the City of Seattle itself.
One that comes to mind:
West Seattle. It's friendly. The Alaska Junction neighborhood there has an old timey small town feel, and West Seattle not only has nice views and waterfront, but it's also pretty dog friendly...You don't want to walk your dog on the beach, however. It's a 500 dollar fine if you get caught. But West Seattle not only is quite walker friendly in terms of stores and restaurants and quaintness, it's got great parks. Besides the Alaska junction, other nice West Seattle neighborhoods include Alki, the Admiral District, Gatewood, Fauntleroy, Schmitz Park.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM

99 posts, read 172,250 times
I am in New York City and there are absolutely NO nursing jobs out here, either. Don't feel so bad! Nursing is a terrible field. Once you DO find a job, you will most likely put up with so much harassment, bullying, and abuse that you will quickly find another line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area