Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 13,627 times

Advertisements

Planning a Seattle-Vancouver trip in September and was looking for some ideas. We will be traveling with our son who is 9 years old. Some of the things I was considering are
1)Space Needle
2)Pike Place Market
3)Ferry
4)Kayak tour
5)Arboretum
6)Science center
7)Mount Rainier tour
8)Butchart Gardens in BC
9)Whistler zipline, whitewater rafting, mountainbiking
10)Sounders match 9-9-10
11)Vancouver aquarium
12)Granville Island

Dates of travel will be Sept. 4-12
Pretty sure that there is too much to do with the time we have but not sure what to eliminate. In fact my list of things I want to do and see is about three times longer. I think I could spend an entire week up at Ross lake. Well, any advice or suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,406 times
You forgot the Seattle aquarium and the waterfront. There's several restaurants and shops there in addition to the aquarium.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM

151 posts, read 548,285 times
That is an awesome list. I would skip #6 and #10. Science centers are basically all the same, from my experience. Unless your son really likes soccer then the game could become boring for him. Actually, 1, 2 and 5 you could probably do in 1 day without rushing.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
I wonder if your son would enjoy the Boeing tour, up in Everett.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
Whistler is fantastic but it's not exactly a "quick" trip from Seattle. It can be about 5 hours drive that time of year. It is GORGEOUS and really fun but just be aware of the travel time. You would want to stay a few days to make it worth the drive. I have two boys (7 and 10) and they love the ferry system, Mt. Rainier hiking, the Space Needle, they do actually love the Science Center, and would think a Sounders match would be fantastic. My kids do not love Pike Place but IMO, it's a must see in Seattle. Riding the Seattle Ducks is also a fun activity they love. Alki Beach is cool as well if you can go tide pooling. But you'll need to check the schedule for that. They also had fun going to Fort Casey on Whidbey Island I believe. Have a great trip.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 37,594 times
Take your son to see the Freemont Troll! He will get a kick out of that! Plus great photo ops!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchk View Post
Take your son to see the Freemont Troll! He will get a kick out of that! Plus great photo ops!
The Fremont Troll is tucked under the north end of the Aurora Bridge. Pretty funny. The Ballard Locks are worth a look see. Especially if your son has never seen locks. There's a fish ladder there as well. And it's free.

On your way to BC, I'd set aside an extra hour and a half either on the way or way back and do two things.

1. Deception Pass
Absolutely jaw dropping location about 20 minutes from Interstate 5. Just north of Mt. Vernon take Highway 20 east and follow the signs toward Oak Harbor. It's before you get there. Park your car and walk across the bridge. It's freaking insanely cool. The walk will take your breath away.

Here's a link to some amazing photos. You can see there's actually two bridges. When large vehicles rumble by while you're on the bridge, it's a deeply spiritual experience.

Deception pass Stock Photo Images. 42 deception pass royalty free pictures and photos available to download from over 100 stock photography brands.

2. Chuckanut Drive.

Just north of the Hiway 20 exit aforementioned, is the Chuckanut Drive exit. Chuckanut Drive is a slight detour away from Interstate 5 along the coast of Puget Sound between Burlington and Bellingham. The drive has several excellent places to eat along the way. But the drive is the highlight. First you traverse the flat Skagit Valley through various farmlands and then you hit the water and climb up above along the mountainside. The highway cuts a swatch along the cliffs overlooking the Sound and the San Juan Islands. There are several view turnouts along the way. Definitely Kodak material and not to be missed. At the end of Chuckanut is the quaint village of Fairhaven (Bellingham). Fairhaven is a pretty cool place in and of itself. But to get back on Interstate 5 is just a one minute drive. It really doesn't take but maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer, unless you stop. And you will. Trust me.

Chuckanut Drive pictures from pacific northwest photos on webshots

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, which is pretty much a day trip on it's own. You'd spend several hours on a ferry boat that day. It's one of the best gardens I've ever seen, but unless you are already going to be in Victoria I wouldn't obsess about getting there.

9 year old boy? Museum of Flight.

Make sure you take him to Golden Age Collectibles at Pike Place Market. It's located downstairs.

The Seattle Aquarium is better than the Vancouver Aquarium. The Vancouver science center is better than the Seattle one.

Walk on to the ferry and ride it out and back. It's inexpensive and you still get the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area