Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times

Advertisements

Local News | Mayor McGinn proposes letting bars stay open later, or all night | Seattle Times Newspaper

I think it's a brilliant idea.. thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM

217 posts, read 561,643 times
I remember Atlanta had some bars that stayed open after hours, some 'til 3:00 and a few others stayed open all night/day. I was told these 24 hr licenses were few and coveted by other club owners. Of course you can't buy beer/wine/alcohol in stores on Sundays there, gotta go to a restaurant.
Even lil ol' Birmingham Alabam had all night bars; I recall one was named "Mabel's beauty salon and chainsaw repair" (good times!)

I don't know why we don't do that here.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
I remember Atlanta had some bars that stayed open after hours, some 'til 3:00 and a few others stayed open all night/day. I was told these 24 hr licenses were few and coveted by other club owners. Of course you can't buy beer/wine/alcohol in stores on Sundays there, gotta go to a restaurant.
Even lil ol' Birmingham Alabam had all night bars; I recall one was named "Mabel's beauty salon and chainsaw repair" (good times!)

I don't know why we don't do that here.
In all fairness, it's not just Seattle, majority of this country has some type of last call curfew law

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I think the problem has been that when the drunks empty out of the bars at 2 AM, they tend to linger and be rowdy and cause problems. An open all night law would spread that out. I'm for it.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM

368 posts, read 695,519 times
I think spreading out close is smart. When it's late we'll order drinks anticipating last call, and cram more in sometimes. Might be safer to have a later close.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Who would have imagined that such a rocking idea would come from a bicycle-riding-Sierra Club-whale watching-leftie like McGinn?

Kudos. Maybe now Seattle will be allowed to have some night life of the non organic kind.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Who would have imagined that such a rocking idea would come from a bicycle-riding-Sierra Club-whale watching-leftie like McGinn?

Kudos. Maybe now Seattle will be allowed to have some night life of the non organic kind.
Wasn't McGinn's idea. But he did embrace it, and actively sought the votes of the drinking hipsters. Heck, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
I'm all for anything that gives me more time to get a chick drunk enough to have sex with me.
Ahh, but see - that's where the last call curfew laws actually work to help this noble cause. If she knows that a bar stops serving at 1:30 AM, she'll be sure to try and cram in as many shots as she can before then, and the bar closes shortly after so everyone's gotta go somewhere - there's your chance.

Bar stays open all night - there's no hurry and she'll be more likely to adapt a moderate pace to her drinking and there's no reason to go anywhere until she's ready. This way your pick-up game actually has to be solid because clock is not working to your advantage.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM

191 posts, read 510,717 times
What's up with this scirocco22 dude and the Nazi-party forum administration. Is this forum for the community, or just for you and your very specific moral standards? Oh, silly me, you're the moderator so I suppose only your morals really matter.

I'm certain this post will be deleted shortly. There is nothing a forum moderator can stand less than criticism.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
What's up with this scirocco22 dude and the Nazi-party forum administration. Is this forum for the community, or just for you and your very specific moral standards? Oh, silly me, you're the moderator so I suppose only your morals really matter.

I'm certain this post will be deleted shortly. There is nothing a forum moderator can stand less than criticism.
If you posted on Canada forum, you'd know what Nazi-party forum administration is. Seattle forum is all about freedom of speech comparing with Canada's one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area