Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM

304 posts, read 848,760 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your new job. I hadn't seen that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM

22 posts, read 81,469 times
Well, it's a week 'til I move now, and I will surely keep you guys updated on the process...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM

22 posts, read 81,469 times
Default I made it!

So I ended up having exactly $6,028.00 and flew out on the 24th.

It's now the 27th, and today I JUST got word back that I got approved for a 1BR apartment in Capitol Hill for $850/mo which I found off craigslist (my credit SUCKS by the way; but my rental history is great--so if I can do it, you can! LOL promise). I ended up staying beforehand not in a hostel (I need my personal space), but in a cheap hotel in Tukwila .. 20 min bus ride away ... the hotel manager offered me a nice deal of $50 a night, .. and I'm pleasantly surprised at how fortunate I was to get a nice, newly renovated apartment so quickly in a nice area. No bull****ting, either. So happy to be on the hill again!

The apartment I was worried the most about getting, but now that that's done, next is a job, and I always have no probs with that. But anyway, that's my update thus far. Wooohooooo!

I will also say, I lived here before, so that experience helped things run a lot more smoothly knowing about the bus system and what to expect and knowing good places to live.

I hope everyone else attempting what I am is just as successful if not more. Like I said.. don't underestimate your will!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM

355 posts, read 866,946 times
Congrats and welcome back. Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,691,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
So I ended up having exactly $6,028.00 and flew out on the 24th.

It's now the 27th, and today I JUST got word back that I got approved for a 1BR apartment in Capitol Hill for $850/mo which I found off craigslist (my credit SUCKS by the way; but my rental history is great--so if I can do it, you can! LOL promise). I ended up staying beforehand not in a hostel (I need my personal space), but in a cheap hotel in Tukwila .. 20 min bus ride away ... the hotel manager offered me a nice deal of $50 a night, .. and I'm pleasantly surprised at how fortunate I was to get a nice, newly renovated apartment so quickly in a nice area. No bull****ting, either. So happy to be on the hill again!

The apartment I was worried the most about getting, but now that that's done, next is a job, and I always have no probs with that. But anyway, that's my update thus far. Wooohooooo!

I will also say, I lived here before, so that experience helped things run a lot more smoothly knowing about the bus system and what to expect and knowing good places to live.

I hope everyone else attempting what I am is just as successful if not more. Like I said.. don't underestimate your will!
can you send me a message on what hotel that was?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,570,682 times
Don't let the "job market" boogeymen get you down. I posted a similar type thread on this site a couple of weeks ago and got told it was "saturated". A week later, I had half a dozen offers. Grabbed a furnished apartment in Bellevue on Sunday, and this weekend I'll start looking at houses. It's largely overblown how terrible the market is. Yes, there are others applying for the positions, but the endgame is still the same: You just have to be better than those applying.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM

20 posts, read 43,908 times
This has been a very inspiring thread for me to read over. Thanks all.

And fingers crossed I still plan on making the move in a few months....

Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 PM

173 posts, read 408,993 times
I would also like to move to Seattle. I currently live in the south, I am from Atlanta and I lived in Miami. I am currently employed with the Govt. I am not a risk taker so I will not quit my job no matter how much money I have saved to move there. I never been to Seattle either so I am planning on visiting first to make sure that is what I want to do. I lived in the south all my life and I want to move somewhere different.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,691,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
I would also like to move to Seattle. I currently live in the south, I am from Atlanta and I lived in Miami. I am currently employed with the Govt. I am not a risk taker so I will not quit my job no matter how much money I have saved to move there. I never been to Seattle either so I am planning on visiting first to make sure that is what I want to do. I lived in the south all my life and I want to move somewhere different.
That appears to be the opposite of the theme to this thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM

20 posts, read 43,908 times
So as I mentioned before I am planning on moving to Washington within the next few months. Here is my situation:

-I plan on moving to Tacoma because my uncle lives and works there and has graciously invited me to stay with him until I find work/go back to school. (I have a undergraduate degree from a good school in Cleveland in management and economics.)
-I have about $4000 in the bank right now, but will be less by the time I leave.
-I am currently unemployed (recently laid off)
-I want to begin a career in the marine shipping industry.

The main problem I am facing is that I have a job offer coming for a position here in Cleveland. I want to make money, but this job would also mean that I would be staying in Cleveland for a while longer. I have a very great desire to move to WA, but I also want to be smart about it.

That said, I do think that my situation upon arrival isnt that bad. I have family that I can live with until I get settled and they could also probably help me find some work.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area