Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM

199 posts, read 536,515 times

Advertisements

I'm not Mexican American, I'm Native American with a strong affection for Mexico and Mexican culture. I am considering a relocation to the Seattle area in order to attend school. Where I currently live is too socially conservative and uneducated for my preference - I do not wish to attend school here.

To get an idea of how socially liberal I am; I lived in San Francisco for 10 years. I was constantly "pushed" into the more Mexican and Asian part of that city; and, I loved it. I speak several languages. After I left SF, I moved to Chihuahua, MX for a few years. Mexico is quite conservative, but they got used to me. I wished to leave the violence and return to school; unfortunately, I was given misleading information to spark the move to my current locale.

In SF, I constantly saw mariachis on weekends; I can no longer afford that city, as a student.

I am looking at east, or southeast Seattle (bordering Lake Washington); maybe, Tukwila as a place to settle. As for the danger there - piece of cake. While living in SF, I worked in Oakland making me street savvy. I'd stay late in Oakland for my gym; or, just to watch the antics and outfits of "ghetto people" on weekends they were funny.

Last edited by Salmanal; 04-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: change wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
You sound like a unique, interesting guy that I would love see move here but truthfully, I've never seen mariachis here. Maybe you could start it?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I honestly don't know about Mariachis in the Seattle area, but I can tell you where there is a higher concentration of Mexican stores, restaurants, cultural institutions, etc...
South Park: Considered by some to be the "worst" neighborhood in the Seattle area, it does have some great Mexican hole in the wall eateries.

White Center: It's a diverse neighborhood with a bad reputation, but one that I really like. Has a "downtown" hub that's pretty vibrant, ranging from a Mexican butcher shop to tacquerias, chicken roasters, a great pizza place, a home made ice cream place with Mexican flavors, a bakery that just bakes pies, a Salvadorean bakery, Vietnamese soup place, Cambodian restaurant, BBQ joint, etc.

Burien: Another great melting pot of folks, it has arguably the best Mexican restaurant around, Tacqueria La Estacion, which has tons of competition. Must be a dozen Mexican eateries within a 2-3 block radius.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Two minutes in Google:

Welcome

Mariachi Fiesta Mexicana - Seattle, WA

Mariachi Seattle

Mariachi Colima - The best in Seattle Washington

And a whole list of bookable bands here: Mariachi Band Seattle WA - Seattle Mariachi Band, Seattle Mariachi Bands

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM

199 posts, read 536,515 times
Default Yes, I Googled it

Doing a Google search in some cities will give you names of venues as well.

I won't die if I don't see a mariachi, I can fly back to SF for that; I did this in January of this year.
I was a substitute member of a mariachi band in Berkeley one evening when the regular player got sick. I had no idea
that I could sing in Spanish. LOL This was before I moved to Chihuahua;
I saw fewer mariachis, there, than I did in California.

More importantly, it looks as though Seattle has an an impressive map
of public transportation routes. I ditched my truck in order to ride my
bike more - I love it. My heart and legs are in better shape; and, I
no longer pay for auto insurance or gas. I will take public or bike to school in good weather.
From what I've read, it always seems overcast in Seattle, but I'm a very happy person.
I become sad when an animal dies, I'm a tree-hugging Vegan vegetarian.

I hope the hills here aren't as bad as SF's; in my neighborhood, I could barely ride the bike.

Thanks very much for the tips....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: