U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 54,354 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My g/f and I will be arriving in seattle in early august and we're doing some of the pre-move stuff now. Anyone have thoughts on banks in seattle? We both use regional banks currently (we live in b'ham, al) so we'll need to open accounts in seattle once we get there. Mainly we just need free checking and ideally a visa checkcard option as well. Decent ATM locations would also be a plus. We're both young (23) so we don't really need much more than that right now.

Also, any info on credit unions would be appreciated as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:23 AM

5,594 posts, read 18,378,515 times
Hi silverspeak. A lot of my friends and family use WaMu's free checking. It's actually a pretty good deal and if I were ever to move back there, I'd consider using them.

A very popular credit union is BECU. It is now open to all residents of Washington ...not only Boeing employees.

Of course, there are a huge number of alternatives. Hopefully others will chip in what they're using and the advantages. You can also compare a lot of banks and credit unions and their features online before you make the move so you have all your research done before you get there.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 13,504,814 times
We used WAMU the entire time we lived in Seattle - almost 10 years. They are good, in regards to checking acct needs, low to no costs etc - but their customer service is horrendous and has been a real issue for us to deal with.

Their phone line customer support is based out of India, and offers little to no resolution and almost always refers you to the branch to work things out on most issues. I have no idea why they even have it.

Their lack of customer service was why, when we moved, even though there was a WAMU near our house in Texas - we made a switch to Wells Fargo - which has been fine. There are Wells Fargo's in WA - but I would likely look into a Credit Union, perhaps BECU.

On the flipside, my mom has used WAMU forever and continues to use WAMU without an issue.

Banks are banks - and commerical financial institutions are all the same pretty much. I think Credit Unions probably will always have the upper hand, in regards to customer service.

We only went with Wells Fargo because there was a special deal and branch located at my husbands place of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: