Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better entertainment options?
Seattle 33 58.93%
Vancouver 23 41.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To movingwiththewind:

Interesting. In your messages you say how you like a lot of things about Seattle but then in these threads you try to bash Seattle in any way you can. .
NUB, I'd say anything to make you feel happy! Do you want me to say that Seattle is the best place on Earth? I can do it. Just for you!

Quote:
I liked your most recent message though and I'll respond soon! .
You see? What makes you happy, makes me happy! It's just sometimes, I wanna check if you still care about Seattle. So, I go ahead and post something nasty about Seattle. Surely enough, you still care, which makes posting nasty things worth it!

Quote:
Seattle is no slouch in entertainment. In those one survey, its rated in the top 10 for most fun places in the USA(7th place!) This is out of hundreds/thousands of places in the USA and it came 7th. I think in some ways Seattle beats Vancouver in entertainment and in other ways Vancouver beats Seattle in entertainment. In some ways I prefer Seattle over Vancouver and in other ways I prefer Vancouver over Seattle.

Seattle had so many cultural events June-September(2 film festivals, music festivals, an environmental festival, a jazz festival, lots of music concerts). And all of these events are so affordable! Im sure Vancouver has a lot of cultural events like that too.

Also Seattle beats Vancouver in the music scene, independent coffee/tea places, and having more varied old and modern architecture in its downtown. Seattle also seems to have some better nature/outdoor possibilities than Vancouver in some ways while in other ways Vancouver has better nature/outdoor opportunities. Seattle also has a better economy and is more affordable than Vancouver.

Vancouver probably has better nightlife, a better food scene, more walkable areas, better public transportation, has a more bigger dense downtown, more diversity, but Seattle still has a great food scene, a nice vibrant downtown, and good amount of diversity, and some walkable areas. In some ways Vancouver beats Seattle in city skyline and in other ways Seattle beats Vancouver in city skyline.

I know so many people that love both Seattle and Vancouver and then there are some I know that like Vancouver much more than Seattle or Seattle much more than Vancouver. I love both cities and their regions.

Vancouver and Seattle are more similar than you think!
I wish Portland, Oregon was more like Vancouver and Seattle in some ways. I wonder what you would think of Portland.
The only thing I agree with you about is that Seattle has a better economy (not sure at the moment) and is more affordable than Vancouver. And no, I don't think that Vancouver and Seattle are very similar. Sorry, but I just don't see many similarities. Please don't mention weather.

How can the two be similar: One sucks and the other not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I have a feeling you dont know Seattle well or saw nice pictures of Seattle or something like that.

I guess we will agree to disagree You dont want to give Seattle a chance. I love Seattle and Vancouver. In some ways, I really do prefer Seattle over Vancouver.

I have collected photos I love of Seattle and Vancouver as well as their regions.

I thought you said you liked a lot of things about Seattle though and that there is a lot to enjoy about it?

I'll respond to your recent pm soon!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Vancouver has very little charm, and Canadian passive-aggresiveness is on a whole other level, even compared to Seattle. That's just my two cents. They are similar in alot of respects and different in a lot of respects also. Anyone who says they are nothing alike has not been to both cities.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Vancouver has very little charm, and Canadian passive-aggresiveness is on a whole other level, even compared to Seattle. That's just my two cents. They are similar in alot of respects and different in a lot of respects also. Anyone who says they are nothing alike has not been to both cities.
Passive-aggresiveness on a national level? Even with all those hundreds of thousands of immigrants coming to Canada from all over the world every year? A passive-aggressive immigrant nation?

Oh, all those passive-aggresive chinese, indians, Quebecois and so on. What a nonsense!

Dude, at least 50% of Vancouver's population were born outside of Canada. What is this percentage in Seattle again?

Vancouver is an immigrant city, in the way NYC or Toronto are. This fact alone makes Vancouver very different (and more interesting) from Seattle. And this is what makes me feel at home in Vancouver. Because I'm used to this diversity from living in NYC.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 08-10-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Vancouver has the same advantage as Toronto: drinking age of 19. So you'll have a lot of American kids crawling around Robson street, giddy at their first openly legal drunken experience.

"Wow, we can get smashed without having to worry about cops! Stellar!"

Its like going back to freshman year of college! Fun times.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,956 times
OK MWTW, I was totally cool with the fact that I was being presumptuous in regards to my previous response to YOUR response, and thanks for the rep points (makes me feel all warm and fuzzy) but if you have this notion that Vancouver, despite being significantly smaller and less powerful economically than Seattle, which btw almost matches the GDP of Canada's largest city Toronto, therefore dwarfing Vancouver, is this fantastic utopia, why don't you stick to the Canadian thread, 'EH' and talk up YVR instead of bashing Seattle every chance you get? Save yourself and us the heartburn. End Rant. I'm sure you'll have a great response.

GDP rankings by PricewaterhouseCoopers btw. Seattle: 24th most economically powerful metro; Vancouver: 68th. Aww. Maybe they can build another crappy condo tower and make a movie about it being Hollywood North!

Sorry, having a bad day....and totally off subject of the thread. Entertainment!!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Passive-aggresiveness on a national level? Even with all those hundreds of thousands of immigrants coming to Canada from all over the world every year? A passive-aggressive immigrant nation?

Oh, all those passive-aggresive chinese, indians, Quebecois and so on. What a nonsense!

Dude, at least 50% of Vancouver's population were born outside of Canada. What is this percentage in Seattle again?

Vancouver is an immigrant city, in the way NYC or Toronto are. This fact alone makes Vancouver very different (and more interesting) from Seattle. And this is what makes me feel at home in Vancouver. Because I'm used to this diversity from living in NYC.
Ok now youre posts still bashing Seattle are starting to annoy me. I did like the messages we sent to each other a lot lately, though. But I agree with you that toughguy is inappropriately insulting Vancouver because Vancouver is great.

And I see you didnt respond to my most recent post about Seattle here.

Im also from NYC and feel that Seattle is interesting and great too. I feel at home in Seattle. There are a lot of good examples about Seattle diversity/racial harmony. You didnt give Seattle a chance or know much about it. Vancouver seems more interesting to you because its technically in a different country but they are both interesting places. You just decided to not bother getting to know Seattle more and find out its positives. Seattle/Washington state has 10-20% of the population being foreign born. Not as high as Vancouver area but its still a lot and its growing.

Also djkirkland is right Seattle is more economically powerful than Vancouver(24th most economically powerful metro per capita and productivity in the World; Vancouver: 68th.) being more affordable at the same time and that Seattle has more varied architecture in its downtown. Most people see how Seattle beats Vancouver in certain things, and even many local Vancourites would agree with that. There are even some Vancouverites that would rather live in Seattle than Vancouver.

Last edited by ; 08-10-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52907417@N04/4880942677/in/photostream/ (broken link)

4164618631_58a091555d_b | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52907417@N04/4881551122/in/photostream/ - broken link)

3518019958_7cc799d7bc_b-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52907417@N04/4881551180/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Rainier | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52907417@N04/4881551214/in/photostream/ - broken link)

So Seattle sucks, movingwiththewind? These are just some of many pictures I have of the Seattle area's awesomeness.

Seattle and Vancouver are both great places as well as their respective region.

Last edited by ; 08-10-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
OK MWTW, I was totally cool with the fact that I was being presumptuous in regards to my previous response to YOUR response, and thanks for the rep points (makes me feel all warm and fuzzy) but if you have this notion that Vancouver, despite being significantly smaller and less powerful economically than Seattle, which btw almost matches the GDP of Canada's largest city Toronto, therefore dwarfing Vancouver, is this fantastic utopia, why don't you stick to the Canadian thread, 'EH' and talk up YVR instead of bashing Seattle every chance you get? Save yourself and us the heartburn. End Rant. I'm sure you'll have a great response.

GDP rankings by PricewaterhouseCoopers btw. Seattle: 24th most economically powerful metro; Vancouver: 68th. Aww. Maybe they can build another crappy condo tower and make a movie about it being Hollywood North!

Sorry, having a bad day....and totally off subject of the thread. Entertainment!!
Exactly! Just wanted to say it myself: What does all this Seattle's economic power rankings have to do with entertainment options?

By the way, I didn't start this thread. This is a Seattle vs. Vancouver thread started by somebody else, if you didn't realize it yet. The OP WANTED to compare Seattle with Vancouver. This is what this thread is all about. What are you complaining about? Of course, it's highly unpopular to argue in favor of Vancouver on Seattle forum. Which is where the OP chose to start his / her thread. What, do you expect everybody to say Seattle has better entertainment options just because it's Seattle forum? Do you only want to hear how Seattle has better entertainment options than Vancouver? Give me a break!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,956 times
Yes, that's EXACTLY what I want to hear. Seattle has better options. Humor me ex-New Yorker. Just for kicks. Trust me, I can play this game as well as you can, even with my paltry West Coast mentality : ) If nobody else here will confront your BS posts, I will. Banned, I don't care. It doesn't matter the point of any thread, your criticism of Seattle is never constructive, and that's my beef. Give ME a break. I don't expect you to root for Seattle, but if you're going to argue against it, offer something of substance to back that up. I guess I could say the same for my unabashed booster-esqe mentality for Seattle, but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area