Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 AM

41 posts, read 219,821 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both Portland - southeast near the Hawthorne District, and north of Seattle. I prefer Portland because the Oregon coast is hands-down the most beautiful place, and only 1-1/2 hour drive. Same for Mt. Hood. I think Portland has a more laid-back vibe as well. The summers were a little warmer - and you can always drive down to southern Oregon for even warmer weather. Seattle is a great city, and an easy drive from Portland, so you can enjoy a lot of what it has to offer. Good luck, and have fun!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 42,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Bellingham WA is awfully nice too.

I've lived all over the PNW, as well as other parts of the U.S., and now I'm stuck in this goofy hippyville called Bellingham. It's hands-down the worst place I've ever even visited, let alone lived in! I'm thinking about giving up a 100K a year job just to get the hell out of here and get back to Seattle or Portland!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 PM

122 posts, read 318,147 times
Portland is exactly what it appears to be. Seattle, on the other hand, is exactly what Dan Savage says it to be: it's Boise that thinks it's Paris. You do not get value for your money here. There's a superficial appearance of concern for the environment, culture, and sophistication, but there's no real depth behind it. Culturewise, Portland is equally full of smalltown climbers trying to get above their raising, but you're not paying through the nose to live with them. Portland is also much better governed and has reasonable transit. Do not think you can live in Seattle without a car. I moved here thinking it was possible (I can't drive) and I am totally isolated and stuck.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM

187 posts, read 576,598 times
I agree that Seattle is a better overall choice. I was in the same boat, waffling between Portland or Seattle. I eventually chose Seattle because a college buddy of mine let me apartment sit while he was on vacation in Europe for a month. I packed up my car and moved, driving through and stopping in Portland on the way up. After a few months, I *knew* I had made the right decision for me:

- More, better paying jobs
- I love skylines and skyscrapers and the sense of living in a city
- I love water (Seattle is surround by it, the bay/sound, lake Washington, lake Union, green lake, and a smattering of other smaller lakes.)
- I love nature
- Cool quirky neighborhoods

Take a trip to both cities (it's a short 4 hour train ride between the two) and spend several days in each and find which is a better fit for you.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
The artist thing...I've been recently thinking that bohemia/artist living in San Francisco is long gone and it has a lot to do with the very high cost of living. It seems to be thriving in Portland. I am wondering if Seattle is losing the edginess due to the high cost of living?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,780 times
seattle is super lame. way more hood rats and want to be gangsters. portland has a more human eliment

Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Portland is exactly what it appears to be. Seattle, on the other hand, is exactly what Dan Savage says it to be: it's Boise that thinks it's Paris. You do not get value for your money here. There's a superficial appearance of concern for the environment, culture, and sophistication, but there's no real depth behind it. Culturewise, Portland is equally full of smalltown climbers trying to get above their raising, but you're not paying through the nose to live with them. Portland is also much better governed and has reasonable transit. Do not think you can live in Seattle without a car. I moved here thinking it was possible (I can't drive) and I am totally isolated and stuck.
LOL, for some reason I'm surprised that Savage said that-- but then I'm not.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
Oh boy...another SEA vs PDX thread!

All these threads can summed up with two short sentences: Seattle is a big town. Portland is a small city.

OK, to elaborate...Seattle has always had a mindset that is was a big city, but it still not quite there. Portland always had a mindset of being a big city, but realized it would never be.

In 2010, Seattle still has those aspirations, but Portland just wants to be a liveable medium sized city.

This attitude is quite apparent when you visit both cities. Visit each, and you will sense the different vibe.

Seattle and Portland are usually compared as twin cities, but a deeper look reveals something entirely different.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,491 times
Seattle is a city with big potential, but we have to wait for the cranky rubes to move on. Seattle didn't have cranky NIMBY rubes until the 1960's.

And StuckInSeattle, you probably lived in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I was thinking about relocating from Michigan to the Pacific Northwest. I originally thought Portland, but I am hearing good things about Seattle, too- never been to either place.

I'm a graphic designer, my fiancee is a roofing subcontractor. We are both artists and musicians. Environmental issues are important to us. So is living in a place with friendly, unpretentious, open-minded people. Nature is huge to us, especially clean water. Rain is not an issue. Neither are schools. Quality of living is more important than high incomes. Public transportation would be great (to sell my car and reduce my ecological footprint). Small town feel would be best (we are from rural areas).

So, let's hear it: what city do you love better- Portland or Seattle? And which one do you think might be better for me?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
If you like Ann Arbor, you'll really like Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area