Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Portland is exactly what it appears to be. Seattle, on the other hand, is exactly what Dan Savage says it to be: it's Boise that thinks it's Paris. You do not get value for your money here. There's a superficial appearance of concern for the environment, culture, and sophistication, but there's no real depth behind it. Culturewise, Portland is equally full of smalltown climbers trying to get above their raising, but you're not paying through the nose to live with them. Portland is also much better governed and has reasonable transit. Do not think you can live in Seattle without a car. I moved here thinking it was possible (I can't drive) and I am totally isolated and stuck.
King County Metro Online

Consider yourself unstuck.

You can live in Seattle without a car, very easily. Often it's more a hassle than it's worth. There are also car-share options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNorth View Post
I've lived all over the PNW, as well as other parts of the U.S., and now I'm stuck in this goofy hippyville called Bellingham. It's hands-down the worst place I've ever even visited, let alone lived in! I'm thinking about giving up a 100K a year job just to get the hell out of here and get back to Seattle or Portland!

Don't let the door...

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Portland is exactly what it appears to be. .
Portland is a big small town. No more. No less. Nice place, great transit system, great food, beautiful surroundings.

But it's not Seattle. And it's not close. But please feel free to move to Portland anytime.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The artist thing...I've been recently thinking that bohemia/artist living in San Francisco is long gone and it has a lot to do with the very high cost of living. It seems to be thriving in Portland. I am wondering if Seattle is losing the edginess due to the high cost of living?
Not true. Go to Haight/Ashbury area, there are plenty of them around. It's a myth that artists are driven away by gentrification. You can survive in Seattle or SF with any number of menial jobs just as one can in Portland. For example, a flat or studio is doable in the Haight for $750, and with public transportation you can shell the car and insurance. It all depends on what you want to give up and how you want to live. I've seen apts for rent in seattle for $650 in areas that I visited that didn't seem all that terrible to me.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
To Capsportsfan:

I agree with what you said in your recent post.

I found a great one bedroom apartment here in Seattle for 650 a month in a decent area. However, it did take effort to find such as good deal.

Actually, I think it was slightly cheaper for me to rent that apartment than to pay for a college dorm and share a college dorm with someone.

That is also true that it depends on what someone wants to give up and how they want to live and where they put the money they have.

Even in places such as Seattle, San Francisco, NYC, etc. someone can live well in all of these places even with a lower middle class salary or less, but it all depends on someone's personal circumstances that determine how well someone can live on a certain budget and how the money goes.

Overall, though, Portland seems to have a slightler lower cost of living than Seattle, but much more economic problems, and lower salaries in general than Seattle.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
oops typo"How far the money goes.*

Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The artist thing...I've been recently thinking that bohemia/artist living in San Francisco is long gone and it has a lot to do with the very high cost of living. It seems to be thriving in Portland. I am wondering if Seattle is losing the edginess due to the high cost of living?
Not totally true.

SF has jumped astronomically in cost in the last couple decades, and yes, this has most definitely pushed out a lot of what I guess you could call the "artist class" that it once had, since there are only so many people willing to buy so many abstract pieces of art for a price that turns a profit on the materials, labor, and still allows you to stay in a dwelling. Some of this, though, is just to do with the times-a-changin': the beatnik movement is over, the hippie movement is over (at least on the massive scale it once was), the punk movement is over, the new wave movement is over, the alternative movement is over. As a natural, lifelong artist who went to art school (yeah, I'll admit it...), it seems as though the days of "movements" have largely kicked off, and now art seems to have taken on a much more solipistic trend: barring the anime/pixel art/general deviantart scene, for the most part, you have more instances of people who do their art more on their own as part of a community.

I don't know why this is the case (probably something to do with the internet, MTV, cell phones, video games, the failing American public education system and its lack of emphasis on the arts and humanities, etc), but it has it's ups and downs. On the one hand, people aren't as easily pigeonholed into a "movement" that they don't really belong in, which can keep them on the sidelines. This also means that people are (theoretically) more apt to go their own path. On the other hand, the sort of community support that allowed these art scenes to become well-known and acknowledged has also largely kicked off. It's a lot harder to be a career artist these days no matter where you live, though it seems as though you find more people who are living and working out of smaller towns and cities, rather than in the city centers.

All this said, San Francisco still has an extremely vibrant arts community. Portland is most definitely thriving: so are the communities in Austin, Oakland (which seems to be rapidly becoming the destination du jour for the hipster/art scene, just as Portland was ten years ago), and many other major and secondary cities all over the US.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
I am new to Portland, OR and have been here for about seven months. I am the opposite from you in that I am a big- city person, originally from S.F. and sometimes PDX feels very tiny and small town. Sounds like you would love it here. I recently started going to Seattle now that am settled in PNW and LOVE it! Seattle has a big city feel but more manageable than NYC and not as spread out as L.A. Seattle, and WA in general, has much better economy than PDX. It is hard to find any job in PDX! My hubby works out of state and telecommutes so we are very lucky to be able to live in Portland since the job market is so bad but the cost of living is much lower than other West Coast cities. You may want to check out Eugene, as other posters have mentioned earlier. My general feel is that Seattle may be more city than you are looking for.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
Not true. Go to Haight/Ashbury area, there are plenty of them around. It's a myth that artists are driven away by gentrification. You can survive in Seattle or SF with any number of menial jobs just as one can in Portland. For example, a flat or studio is doable in the Haight for $750, and with public transportation you can shell the car and insurance. It all depends on what you want to give up and how you want to live. I've seen apts for rent in seattle for $650 in areas that I visited that didn't seem all that terrible to me.
All due respect, but many things wrong with this post.

You absolutely, with 100% certainty, cannot find a livable studio in the Haight for $750. You cannot find a studio in ANY decent neighborhood of San Francisco for $750. Renting a room in a larger apartment for $750? Sure that's possible. Also, the art scene in SF is not in the Haight. Not even remotely close. Try the Mission, Tenderloin, SoMa.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
All due respect, but many things wrong with this post.

You absolutely, with 100% certainty, cannot find a livable studio in the Haight for $750. You cannot find a studio in ANY decent neighborhood of San Francisco for $750. Renting a room in a larger apartment for $750? Sure that's possible. Also, the art scene in SF is not in the Haight. Not even remotely close. Try the Mission, Tenderloin, SoMa.
One of my friends just got a studio for $990 at the corner of Market and 9th on a month-to-month in the Trinity Plaza, which is a pretty "bleh" building (it was built as a cheesy resort in the late 60's... kind of a cool building, but it's definitely seen better days). It'd probably go for $600 in Seattle, but $990 for anything in or near Downtown SF with its own bathroom and kitchenette is a steal!

Last edited by 415_s2k; 08-21-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area