Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times

Advertisements

I must be a rebel - I don't even wear hiking gear when I go hiking, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's apparent that you have a very dismal view of Seattle and it comes across in just about every one of your posts. As a result, I think the ones you call the "cheerleader association" (i.e. those with civic pride) are just getting a little fatigued from your sardonic, bias-tinged opinions.
Some of the people here with "civic pride" take any sort of criticism about "their" city as a personal insult, which is just plain pathetic. I correct people if they rip on "my" cities (LA, Boston, SF) and am happy to engage in some dialogue, but I've never gotten anywhere near so personally outraged. So my experience in Seattle was negative, big deal! Yours isn't. I don't respond to any of the exhuberant posts as to how AMAZING Seattle is here with snarky comments about the mental/emotional capacities of the person saying it's so great even though my experience was the inverse. Maybe you should follow suit.

Quote:
It all comes across as a spiteful ex-boyfriend offering his summary of his reviled former girlfriend.
It's not my fault that's how you interpret it.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
I must be a rebel - I don't even wear hiking gear when I go hiking, lol
Yeah, neither do I... I usually wear jeans, a pair of Doc Martens, and a comfortable shirt or some nature and pack a good sweater and a few Clif bars in my backpack in case I get lost or something. It's not like I'm trying to break any records on the summit or anything.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Some of the people here with "civic pride" take any sort of criticism about "their" city as a personal insult, which is just plain pathetic. I correct people if they rip on "my" cities (LA, Boston, SF) and am happy to engage in some dialogue, but I've never gotten anywhere near so personally outraged. So my experience in Seattle was negative, big deal! Yours isn't. I don't respond to any of the exhuberant posts as to how AMAZING Seattle is here with snarky comments about the mental/emotional capacities of the person saying it's so great even though my experience was the inverse. Maybe you should follow suit.

It's not my fault that's how you interpret it.
Hey I never said I was one of those that gets personally offended...I was just offering an alternate interpretation on what you percieve as emotional, irrational reactions. To me it sounds like you didn't even really live in Seattle as an adult (you are what, 24?), so I kind of view your opinions in a prism of a child's perspective. Theres nothing wrong with having some hometown pride, but I agree that a couple of people on the forum take it a little far.

Last edited by toughguy; 08-16-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM

124 posts, read 368,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The fact that you're so personally butthurt over what you interpret to be my "seeting with anger" is cute. Seething with anger? Hahaha! Sure, bud.

The reality of my experience doesn't change with the fact that you say that I described a negligible amount of Seattle's populace.

Did you not read that paragraph or something? Let me cut and paste it below:

Maybe I should have put "may" instead of "will" so my statements didn't seem so heavy-handed and not offend the Seattle Cheerleaders' Assn.'s sensibilities.

Thanks for posting a prime example of the sort of Seattle xenophobia I've gotten ripped on for mentioning here time and again.

You mean like assuming that anyone who doesn't get along in Seattle is essentially emotionally immature and reliant solely on the validation of others' opinions rather than their own abilities?
Thinly veiling your own thoughts and trying to speak for the entire population of LA doesn't really change what you're trying to say. You stereotyped both LA and Seattle. I quite nicely pointed out that there are quite a few people driving BMWs around Seattle and I (being someone who lives in the area and one you pretend to speak for) don't hate any of them.

I also can't say I've seen much if any of the 'Seattle xenophobia' you seem to think is common. Although if you go some place and insult everyone that lives there, I can't imagine you're ever going to make friends there. So, that may in fact be the source of the 'xenophobia' you speak of. Don't confuse someone's dislike of your own personality for a fear of everyone from somewhere else.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
In response to the OPs question....

Social status is probably as important in Seattle as it is in any large city in the US; the difference is how it's displayed. The wealthy here are a reserved bunch. They call in their orders to their personal shoppers at Neiman Marcus and aside from a few car buffs that shoot around in exotics, they will probably go pick up those orders in an understated car and return to their understated home. For the 'rest of us' that don't have waterfront property in Medina or Mercer Island, keeping up isn't so much of an issue. People don't care if you drive a Hyundai or a BMW or what part of town you live in; its a non-issue for the most part. It will be a nice change for you if you're looking to escape the bling of the ATL.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 AM

6 posts, read 6,965 times
As a real engineer, with a real engineering degree, and not just some software/computer guy who calls himself an engineer, It really bothers me how people in the PNW think that they are the center of the technology world. They are a BLIP in the history of tech. LONG before SEattle and SF were the cities they are today, real engineers were creating actual tangible beneficial technological revolutions elsewhere.

Like Obama said, most of what the PNW thinks is great (ipad, iphone, windows) is just a distraction.

Get over yourselves.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
Woah buddy, Seattle has no more of a fascination with technology than any other major city in the country. Every major metro has people plugged into their iPods, waiting in line for the iPhone4, etc.....if anything maybe we embrace the newest, shiniest gadget when it first comes out more than some other areas, but it's not the center of our universe.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 25,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse0915 View Post
Don't know if the thread title is appropriate, but whatever...

So coming from Atlanta, it seems like the following kinda pervade the entire city and dominate the culture:

- Pretentiousness
- Materialism
- Job status
- The sycophantics
- Gold-digging women/attention-grabbing men, etc (you get my point)
- etc

I'm just tired of it. Does Seattle suffer from the same issues- whether it be in the black community or Seattle in general? Or am I in the minority when it comes to this and just have to learn to adapt?
If you're a leftist/progressive/statist, you'll be fine whatever you do. Otherwise run the other way.
JW

Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethehellouttahere View Post
As a real engineer, with a real engineering degree, and not just some software/computer guy who calls himself an engineer, It really bothers me how people in the PNW think that they are the center of the technology world. They are a BLIP in the history of tech. LONG before SEattle and SF were the cities they are today, real engineers were creating actual tangible beneficial technological revolutions elsewhere.

Like Obama said, most of what the PNW thinks is great (ipad, iphone, windows) is just a distraction.

Get over yourselves.
Bugger off.

Fremont is the Center of the Universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area