Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 13,891 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Seattle next month, and I haven't been able to find out about any real viable alternatives to Comcast. I hate Comcast and I don't want to deal with them anymore, but I read bad things about Qwest and I don't want home phone service. And I read pretty bad things about Clear, as well.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is Comcast going to be my best choice for internet?

Affordability is the #1 priority to me right now, but I don't think I can handle going back to dial-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 AM

404 posts, read 1,026,610 times
Comcast would most likely be the cheapest and fastest. I have had some problems with the connection both up in the Seattle area and down here in Houston but nothing that a quick call or modem reset won't fix.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,790,760 times
Comca$t is the fastest we have. Everything else is either DSL or Dialup. Clearwire is bad, my sister-in-law had a really bad experience with them lying to her about their service areas, and when she got poor reception after setup they refused to let her out of her contract without the penalty fee.

I'm just waiting for FiOS to hit my area, if that ever happens at all. I'd really like to try it out, and if it works good enough for me (both on the TV and Internet fronts) maybe I can give Comca$t the boot!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,868,252 times
I used Speakeasy.Net

Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM

82 posts, read 142,654 times
We have Quest DSL and it's $37 a month with no other services through them. It's moderately fast, but someday I'd like to upgrade. It's very reliable, maybe goes out once a year and can get it back up with a quick call.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM

187 posts, read 574,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Comca$t is the fastest we have. Everything else is either DSL or Dialup. Clearwire is bad, my sister-in-law had a really bad experience with them lying to her about their service areas, and when she got poor reception after setup they refused to let her out of her contract without the penalty fee.

I'm just waiting for FiOS to hit my area, if that ever happens at all. I'd really like to try it out, and if it works good enough for me (both on the TV and Internet fronts) maybe I can give Comca$t the boot!
Speakeasy has more/faster options than Comcast. Check em out.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,820,619 times
I seem to be getting the advertised speed from Comcast (I'm not signed up for the fastest tier). DSL from Qwest is a lot faster than it used to be, and DSL tends to be very reliable, and so I will probably take a closer look at them at some point, for cost reasons. The best rates go to new customers, after all.

I'm not familiar with Speakeasy, but I might take a look at them sometime too.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 AM

404 posts, read 1,026,610 times
Expect to get an even faster connection soon. They are upgrading their infrastructure around the country. Down here in the Houston area I'm getting about 26-30 Mb/s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area