Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Y

And besides... You're wrong. Seattle is not in the top ten-- unless you're talking about your own list. Las Vegas, SF, LA, NYC, Chicago is a given. I know Philadelphia, Baltimore, DFW, Houston, Miami always gets mentioned. I believe at most, Seattle will at least be in the top 50, maybe even top 25. I think your Seattle bias has warped your perspective.
That's just silly. Maybe top 25?

Get out more. Obviously you haven't.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
this list was clearly made by someone who hasn't visited most of the major cities in the US. this is more like a list of cities some guy visited.
I've visited every city of size in the US, including every one on the list.

How could you argue that NYC, SF, SD, Seattle, Boston, etc. aren't among the "must visit" US cities?

It seems you're being a contrarian for the sake of it.

Perhaps your own list of ten, and WHY they should replace sities on the list, should be your challenge.

So? Post your list and why.

For the record, I think New Orleans was an omission and LA doesn't merit a Top 10 ranking.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,072 times
People that are natives or residents of every city tend to downgrade it's unique qualities as "touristy". I hear the same "yawns" about Fishermans' Wharf and Haight Ashbury in San Francisco that people on this board are experessing for Pike Place Market and the Space Needle on this board. The fact is, although you may be sick of them, those landmarks draw tourists for a reason. They are unique features of each city and they set those cities apart from other US cities and add to the overall feel and experience one has when they visit. Seattle is such a unique city in so many respects, that a list we be entirely incomplete without it.

Personally, I've never gotten sick of Fishermans' Wharf, the Haight area, or the Golden Gate Bridge, and I doubt that I'd ever get sick of Pike Place, the Space Needle, or the mountains if I lived in Seattle. I'd definitely put Seattle as a must visit. If Seattle is not on the list, then there shouldn't be a list.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
That's just silly. Maybe top 25?

Get out more. Obviously you haven't.
LOL. I was trying to be kind.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I've visited every city of size in the US, including every one on the list.

How could you argue that NYC, SF, SD, Seattle, Boston, etc. aren't among the "must visit" US cities?

It seems you're being a contrarian for the sake of it.

Perhaps your own list of ten, and WHY they should replace sities on the list, should be your challenge.

So? Post your list and why.

For the record, I think New Orleans was an omission and LA doesn't merit a Top 10 ranking.
Sorry, I was just going through the "new posts" section from the upper link. I didn't realize this was a Seattle forum. Will leave you all alone

Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
People that are natives or residents of every city tend to downgrade it's unique qualities as "touristy". I hear the same "yawns" about Fishermans' Wharf and Haight Ashbury in San Francisco that people on this board are experessing for Pike Place Market and the Space Needle on this board. The fact is, although you may be sick of them, those landmarks draw tourists for a reason. They are unique features of each city and they set those cities apart from other US cities and add to the overall feel and experience one has when they visit. Seattle is such a unique city in so many respects, that a list we be entirely incomplete without it.

Personally, I've never gotten sick of Fishermans' Wharf, the Haight area, or the Golden Gate Bridge, and I doubt that I'd ever get sick of Pike Place, the Space Needle, or the mountains if I lived in Seattle. I'd definitely put Seattle as a must visit. If Seattle is not on the list, then there shouldn't be a list.

Dismissing things as too touristy is a convenient way to seem cool and cultured. If smug white people lived in Tibet, everyone would say "Mt Everest? Yawn. Only tourists go there."

Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Dismissing things as too touristy is a convenient way to seem cool and cultured. If smug white people lived in Tibet, everyone would say "Mt Everest? Yawn. Only tourists go there."
But even though the Pike Place market is a wonderful thing, and the oldest continuously operated farmer's market in the US, it does get overrun by tourists at times, and that makes the market harder to appreciate. The way around that is to go to the market when it's less crowded.
Also, I think one's tolerance for tourists may have a little bit to do with how much exposure one has to them. If they're not part of your everyday reality, then they are not a bother. I spent 23 years working on the Waterfront Streetcar, a place overrun with tourists( we hauled 400,000+ passengers a year, mostly tourists looking for places like " Pike's Market"," "Pike's Village", "Pike's Peak", "Pike's Landing", " The Round Thing" and " Wagon Train Village."
I'm not making any of this up. I was grateful to have the job, and enjoyed doing it. I'm not cool, definitely not cultured, and not a smug white hipster. But I still don't like tourists. Overexposure, I guess.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
To Gentoo: That makes sense. It seems like you didnt have a long time to visit Seattle. Oh, I never heard of Fisherman's wharf or Seaport Village.

Where did you have good sushi in Seattle!? Whenever I have sushi, I have it from the Seattle Whole Foods supermarkets, but soon I'll probably try out some Japanese restaurants.

Spicy crab or salmon with cucumber and avocado sushi is my favorite type of sushi, as well as Sweet Potato tempura, and Avocado/cucumber.
Fisherman's Wharf=the waterfront strip in SF. Seaport Village=very small waterfront area in San Diego.

I had my sushi at a place on 5th. It was 5th and Aloha I believe. Perhaps this wasn't even the best place for sushi but if that's the case, I can't wait to try a better one in Seattle. If you haven't had it a good sushi place definitely check it out. I'm sure there are some great sushi places in Seattle.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
To rephrase what I said about the Pike Place Market: It's a great place that tourists ruin, just like Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran.
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
LOL. Funny when I lived in Berkeley I avoided Fisherman's Wharf like the plague so I can see where you're coming from

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But even though the Pike Place market is a wonderful thing, and the oldest continuously operated farmer's market in the US, it does get overrun by tourists at times, and that makes the market harder to appreciate. The way around that is to go to the market when it's less crowded.
Also, I think one's tolerance for tourists may have a little bit to do with how much exposure one has to them. If they're not part of your everyday reality, then they are not a bother. I spent 23 years working on the Waterfront Streetcar, a place overrun with tourists( we hauled 400,000+ passengers a year, mostly tourists looking for places like " Pike's Market"," "Pike's Village", "Pike's Peak", "Pike's Landing", " The Round Thing" and " Wagon Train Village."
I'm not making any of this up. I was grateful to have the job, and enjoyed doing it. I'm not cool, definitely not cultured, and not a smug white hipster. But I still don't like tourists. Overexposure, I guess.
I worked in a theme park for 19 years. I know all about that. We have a skytower ride at SeaWorld in San Diego. It would invariably get called the space needle Or how much is the restaurant at the top. It is just a ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area